I am confused

Travelor

My last order of Bart's 30 caliber X-Outs had two distinct weights, one at 112.0 grains and one at 112.3 grains. I naively just started shooting these bullets but was getting vertical before I weight sorted. I just got another 1000 after being assured that this was an error.

So, being a bit skeptical I have started weighing the new box of bullets. Weights vary form 112.0 grains to 112.24 grains. Also the body diameters are .3075" with the pressure ring being .309".

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Am I being too anal on these?

Based upon your thoughts I may call Bart about these.

My last order of Bart's 30 caliber X-Outs had two distinct weights, one at 112.0 grains and one at 112.3 grains. I naively just started shooting these bullets but was getting vertical before I weight sorted. I just got another 1000 after being assured that this was an error.

So, being a bit skeptical I have started weighing the new box of bullets. Weights vary from 112.0 grains to 112.24 grains. Also the body diameters are .3075" with the pressure ring being .309".

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Am I being too anal on these?

Based upon your thoughts I may call Bart about these.

I wouldn't worry about the weight so much. I have a Sartorius GD503 scale and my X- outs vary from 111.840 to 112.050. That pressure ring is pretty big on your lot. My pressure ring is exactly .308. I would call him if the pressure ring is that much.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Bart wants everyone to be happy with his bullets and will do most anything to make it that way - I said "most" anything. What you didn't mention, is how the bullets hit the target. If you haven't already shot some of them, you don't know if they'll shoot well in your rifle or not...so go shoot some. If they don't shoot well, send what's left back to Bart.

I remember that Sierra bullets all weighed exactly what it said on the box. You could use one as a check weight! I struggled to get my bullets to weigh fairly close but my bullets grouped better than the Sierra bullets of similar weight. I tried to figure out why that was but couldn't. If anybody actually knows why, I'm all ears (eyes actually).

What I'm saying here is that those small variances, actual or not, don't mean a darn thing. Some bullets won't shoot well in some rifles but will shoot lights out in other rifles. That was a big reason to quit making bullets because I had to find a barrel that would shoot my bullets...which was more expensive than the opposite. The bigger reason was that I just got tired of making bullets! Was never much fun beyond the first thousand or so.

Thanks

I appreciate the time and thoughts in answering my question.

I went back and re-measured the pressure ring and it is .308".

And no, I have not shot any of the new bullet order yet, just watching the cold windy day, drinking coffee, and weight sorting bullets to check them.

Tuesday looks like a reasonably mild day wind wise, so testing that morning. I will load some that are exact weights +/-.05 grains and some that are +/- .14 grains (112.0 to 112.28) and see what happens.

Hopefully I'm just over reacting to small weight variations.

At 100-200 yds 3/10ths of a grain on bullet weight won't make a difference that you could see. If you are getting vertical, I believe you should look elsewhere.

Last winter, a famous bullet maker said he did an experiment. 6PPC 65, 68, 70 gn bullets. Same hole.....
I had some left over jackets and lead cores. They came out to 68.7. Same hole as 68 gn...At 200 y that hole was(3 heavy 2 light) .445"...Just sayin....
Lowell Hottenstein used to say just shoot them. Joe said at his funeral, that Lowell shot the culls. I guess, those are set up bullets. Don't feel good in the die bullets....rejects. Yep. They shoot just as good.....

I appreciate the time and thoughts in answering my question.

I went back and re-measured the pressure ring and it is .308".

And no, I have not shot any of the new bullet order yet, just watching the cold windy day, drinking coffee, and weight sorting bullets to check them.

Tuesday looks like a reasonably mild day wind wise, so testing that morning. I will load some that are exact weights +/-.05 grains and some that are +/- .14 grains (112.0 to 112.28) and see what happens.

Hopefully I'm just over reacting to small weight variations.

I shoot Bart's 112's and BIB 112's. I have shot great scores with both.

When measuring the body of these short 30 caliber bullets, measure approx 1/8 inch fwd of the gas ring. And measure carefully, with a good set of standardized micrometers. A Barts will typically measure .3081 to .3082 at that spot. The gas ring will be .3084 typically.

A typical BIB will measure .3083 to .3084 and .3086 to .3087 respectively.

Both bullets like to be shot at around 3020/3050 FPS. Seating depth is very criticle. Finding what seating depth your bullet/barrel/powder combination likes can be the difference in a .300+ rifle, and a Sub .200 rifle.

That's the difference in shooting 16 X's and 20+ X's on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
FWIW, when I made bullets for myself, I shot culls that were a full grain apart. They shot into the same hole! A grain may matter at 1000 but it didn't at 100-200. I couldn't ask for a better shooting bullet than those were. It's an easy quality "check", to weigh bullets, but is likely the least important aspect of if a bullet shoots well or not.

That said, as Bart has said, I'm sure he'll take care of you. If it doesn't eat at you too much, just shoot them first. If it does, call him.

Yea.
Call Bart. He's the man. And a good guy....
Git the dought out. And find new wind flags.....It's always the wind....Oh! AND the SUN...That can really move a bullet.....EH!
If ya shoot group it don't matter.......

Back