Hummer barrels

J

j mckinnie

How do we determine this onomoly.Is it a barrel that has a large load window?As in when a ladder test is done it doesnt display the obvious vertical going in and out of tune but has mebe .2 only of vertical over a grain of powder and .02 in seating depths?

How do we determine this onomoly.Is it a barrel that has a large load window?As in when a ladder test is done it doesnt display the obvious vertical going in and out of tune but has mebe .2 only of vertical over a grain of powder and .02 in seating depths?

One that wins plenty of wood :)

I've had my share of barrels that win fake wood, but only one "hummer". A hummer is a barrel that shoots through conditions that would defy logic.

I've had my share of barrels that win fake wood, but only one "hummer". A hummer is a barrel that shoots through conditions that would defy logic.

As well as fairly load insensitive...

I had the pleasure of shooting a .100 22ppc on a 10.5 Panda that was even pretty worn out........Barrel brand??? Honestly I have no idea... Was an 8 groove .224 ..Little bitty lands I remember, guess it could have been a Shilen.. Thinking was it was an old Gale McMillan barrel...........?

MY GOD................. It SHOT...!

Gun was not mine but a new guy's... He said the original owner set this barrel aside as a varminter.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It shot a 8 shot .095 with 133 and Nosler 50gr B-tips.........!

Would do it's "worst" with "any ole load" and a decent bullet..... Which was a mid two.................
Accuracy went FAST cause the new guy just shot it up fer fun........... Even though I recommended SAVING IT...!

Hummer IMOP..........! What a barrel..!
Personally I have not owned one........Yet.. Damn good ones but NOT like that .22...!
cale

Hal,
I have never had one, though I've had a couple of really good barrels. By "shoot through conditions that would defy logic" do you mean that you can hold where you want the bullet to hit when mere mortals have to hold off? In other words, you don't need hold off or as much with a hummer barrel? Tks --Greg

To me, the definition of a "good" barrel is one that has a wide load window, and is honest when you pull the trigger. That doesn't mean it'll give you anything when you shoot a let up or a stronger push than you anticipated. Hummers put that shot in the hole even when your scared to look through the scope because you one you just missed a big change...They are rare chunks of steel that should be used wisely.

Hal,
I have never had one, though I've had a couple of really good barrels. By "shoot through conditions that would defy logic" do you mean that you can hold where you want the bullet to hit when mere mortals have to hold off? In other words, you don't need hold off or as much with a hummer barrel? Tks --Greg

We were writing at the same time there Greg. Yes is the answer to your question. My hummer was a 30 and it won me many grands including the Nats at Chippewa. Sunday afternoon a hurricane was moving in and conditions were nasty to say the least. I never held further than the 9 ring while others were holding in the black.

Unless you are totally new to the game you will definately know when you have one, as Hal said they are to be cherished!

I have had a couple.

If you ever get one, you will know it. Your flag reading skills, tuning skills, and bench technique will suddenly get much better. You will find yourself wondering why that shot went into the group, not out of it. You will also catch yourself wondering what you are going to do with all of those fake wood trophys.

Of course, when it dies a good death, reality will set in, and you will wonder then why you keep missing conditions, why you can't seem to keep the Rifle in tune, and why your bench technique has gotten so sloppy. You will also wake up at night wondering WHY that shot did not go into the group.

You will also stop worrying about what to do with all of those fake wood trophys............jackie

Last edited:
The most frustrating thing in the world is a barrel that is a hummer - sometimes. Hold off for the conditions, only to have the bullet hole appear EXACTLY where the crosshairs were.

I have had a couple.

If you ever get one, you will know it. Your flag reading skills, tuning skills, and bench technique will suddenly get much better. You will find yourself wondering why that shot went into the group, not out of it. You will also catch yourself wondering what you are going to do with all of those fake wood trophys.

Of course, when it dies a good death, reality will set in, and you will wonder then why you keep missing conditions, why you can't seem to keep the Rifle in tune, and why your bench technique has gotten so sloppy. You will also wake up at night wondering WHY that shot did not go into the group.

You will also stop worrying about what to do with all of those fake wood trophys............jackie

Wow jackie, i have had that exact barrel to a T. died just as you said.
only i dont have the fake wood trophy's, never shot in in competition(only for my personal pleasure) and stomp-n-my buddy's with.
only ever shot it in one club match while it was dieing and did not do that well with it..
I was jokeing it took 1,500 rounds to kill it and it took me that many rounds to get up the mustard to take it to a match.lol
Have two barrel's out for chambering right now can only hope they shoot as well as this one has, if they do Im not going to wait heading to a match with it.

I've had several real good barrels but only one I considered a Hummer. At the time, I had three great rifles so thought great ones were common. I decided I wanted a different port configuration so I sold the two best ones I have had to date. One of em had the Hummer on it.

I have had several very good barrels. Three were likely hummers. I was slow to learn how to "tune" a barrel so I shot two out in the learning process. The third one is a Hart barrel that I am now shooting. It was my #3 6PPC Barrel for my 10.5# LV from Jim Boden. (Jim has made five barrels for this rifle and the other 4 were quite good.) This #3 barrel never shot right. After 1100 rounds I had Capt Bob rechamber it 0.025 deeper and cut 3/4" off the muzzle. I hand lapped it. Now it is magic. It does not shoot a tight as some of the other barrels but it shoots thru conditions like magic.

Some of these older barrels still have a lot of life in them.

Butch, back a few years when James bought that Scoville Stocked Rifle from Jerry Simonson, (I think that is who he got it from), it had a Hummer on it. He just would not admitt it...........jackie

I guess I've had my one and only hummer. That is to say, I'm hoping for another. It was my 3rd barrel and at that time
concentrating on more than one flag was not me. If the flags were all green, that was good enough. I shot numerous
zero groups back to back with it. The old GI-322 was all it took and required no daily tweeking. It was among the last
barrels made by Bill Atkinson when he was with H&S precision. It was also a 13 twist. Made the top ten at SS 13 HV 200
when I had no idea what wind could do. That to me was a hummer

Back