How to fix an enlarged primer pocket?

The extractor grove is part of the retaining wall of the primer pocket. The ring would compress the brass in the groove. Once I tried to modify the clamp on RCBS bullet puller to fit in the extractor groove to see if I could swage down the dia. of the groove to tighen the primer pocket. The piece broke so I abandoned the idea untill I thought of this. RANDY

Ohhh, gotcha'.

Seems to me you'd have problems with the steel ring galling/scraping against the inside the steel die? Also seems that if you swage the overall case then the extractor groove will go with it?

Anyway, I've got your idea now.

al

RCBS Primer Pocket Swager

The RCBS primer pocket swager is inexpensive and can be used to tighten primer pockets. It is designed to remove military crimps from primer pockets but will work to tighten the pockets on regular cases both large and small primer pocket. The die body has a I.D. that is large enough for 308 size cases but will require opening up for larger diameter cases. Another shooter years ago put me onto this so I'm not the originator. Here's a Midway link to this tool.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=447022&t=11082005

shoot, if yer gonna' superglue 'em, just use cigarette papers instead, it's quicker....BUT KNOW THIS!!!! Expanded pockets WILL leak, soon. And when they do they'll gas cut your boltface. Very much of this gas cutting and you've got a real money sucker on your hands.

al

I've got a deal that swages the entire case head. A punch just a bit shy of the case diameter snaps in the ram like a shell holder. A die was drilled out to screw in and act as a stop for the swaging ring(s). The swaging rings look something like a Wilson trimmer case holder except smaller. Slip a swaging ring over the case, locate the swaging ring into the stop and operate the handle. The punch pushes the case all the way through the swaging ring.

There are 5 swaging rings, each .0005 smaller and you start with the smallest one that you can humanly mash through the ring. When you get to the smallest one you have succesfully tightened the primer pocket and are free from difficult extraction....for one maybe two firings.

Is your powder drop fixed or does it have an adjustment?

Pardon my interruption here. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua chambered Rem rifle. The action has been blueprinted and trued, rued and screwed and has a PTG bolt (.001) undersized. I am currently shooting 308 and 243 win. Winchester and Remington brass formed using Butch Lambert's case forming dies. I have fired some of these cases at least 6 times with no sign of anything. Why not try this and see what happens. E-mail me if you do get these dies and I'll send you a copy of my notes on case forming this brass. I'm working in my spare time on these notes to make a set of instructions to give to Butch whenever I get finished. Whenever that miracle happens.

Roy

I am curious also

Huhh?

A coned bolt??

So I guess what you're saying is..... the casehead begins to expand but is contained by (something) and it springs back?

and a Model 7 does this even better?

How?

Doesn't work for me using BAT, Borden, Nesika, Time Precision OR Remington actions.... although my Rems are 600's, 700's and XP100's not Model 7's. Maybe mine are poorly fitted?

I suckered for this many times before I caught on...... I had actions barreled to minimum spec by some of the best. I've even got a fitted boltface on one, barely takes a stock .473 casehead......Sure never got one to contain caseheads though, even when I had to pry them out of the boltface. Turned a perfectly nice ejector rifle into a shellholder boltface style.....

al

Although I am an optical engineer (physicist) not a rifle smith I do have a good understanding how rifles work. I am interested in learning how the coned bolt in combination with a model 7 action can achieve this.
Andy.

shoot, if yer gonna' superglue 'em, just use cigarette papers instead, it's quicker....BUT KNOW THIS!!!! Expanded pockets WILL leak, soon. And when they do they'll gas cut your boltface. Very much of this gas cutting and you've got a real money sucker on your hands.

al
I have seen guys super glue them, lock tite them, even use scotch tape on them, $100 for some new cases vs.$650 on a new bolt is a no brainer to me, I have to agree with alinwa on this and also others in that you need to back off the powder or be content buying cases

Throw the case away, and buy a new one. It's damaged beyond what can be seen in a loose pocket. What is a case worth compared to safety, and not damaging an expensive rifle.

Regards

David dhenzler@sonic.net

Is there anyone who have heard/seen or perhaps even own a tool that`s made to restore an enlarged primer pocket?
I saw this on a website, which one I`ve already forgotten:eek:, and thought it was a pretty good idea.
If you have any contact info to the firm that makes these I would be very grateful.

//Rolf

loose primer pockets

Yes there is check Primer-Pocket-Fixer.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a deal that swages the entire case head. A punch just a bit shy of the case diameter snaps in the ram like a shell holder. A die was drilled out to screw in and act as a stop for the swaging ring(s). The swaging rings look something like a Wilson trimmer case holder except smaller. Slip a swaging ring over the case, locate the swaging ring into the stop and operate the handle. The punch pushes the case all the way through the swaging ring.

There are 5 swaging rings, each .0005 smaller and you start with the smallest one that you can humanly mash through the ring. When you get to the smallest one you have succesfully tightened the primer pocket and are free from difficult extraction....for one maybe two firings.

Is your powder drop fixed or does it have an adjustment?

Wilbur,

Are you at liberty to say where you acquired this die?

Thanks,

Pete

The RCBS primer pocket swager is inexpensive and can be used to tighten primer pockets. It is designed to remove military crimps from primer pockets but will work to tighten the pockets on regular cases both large and small primer pocket. The die body has a I.D. that is large enough for 308 size cases but will require opening up for larger diameter cases. Another shooter years ago put me onto this so I'm not the originator. Here's a Midway link to this tool.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=447022&t=11082005

Have these dies been upgradrd over the past few years? I have one that is mebby 15 years old and I could never get the one I have to shrink primer pockets.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete - I am at liberty but I can't remember the fellow's last name. His first name is Richard and he made one of a kind stuff. He lives in NC. Paul Wolfe wanted a set and he wouldn't make another.

Wilbur(Mr Harris),

The man's name is Richard Collins. He no longer has the resources to make the shrink die set----but----he and I have tried cutting back 257 roberts dies to the proper length ( for squeezing ppc cases) with great success.
Pete, A RCBS 308 neck die has been cut back for the BR family---it works great. I sent you a pm w/ my phone # so as I can explain further

Merry Christmas,
Keith in NC

P.S.--- I'm @ work today---bored out my ###--feel free to call

Back