how to fit new barrel on glue in

Jerry,

I work with the same type devices you use-----except for the cone gauge. The sleeve is so simple but so very useful.

If you're so inclined, I'd appreciate hearing how you use the cone as well as its dimensions. It appears to be fairly easy to make.

Thanks.

A. Weldy

The black cone thingy is used to duplicate a measurement from a precious barrel. That thingy is 30 degrees but will also duplicate a 25 degree cone.

You need a gauge home made or bought. Go gauge. Cone gauge. Remove barrel, measure, make new barrel same. Or send it to one of many great gunsmiths here on Benchrest.com. Billy, Dwight, Wayne, the list goes on. Apologizes for gunsmiths not mentioned, these are the ones I know. I use to chamber my own barrels but ever since I turned this job over to Billy I started to win and place..
Trout

R44Astro - Where are you in Florida? I too am in Florida and looking for a good gunsmith. Billy ? etc. etc.

I'm looking for someone to re-stock a glue in.

Thanks

Jim

If you are a barrel that previously worked on the action, then it is nothing but basic machine work.

I do all of my measuring of criticile dimensions with these basic tools I made myself. Very similar to what Jerry uses.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17137&stc=1&d=1450881747

One set of tools for Stiller/Panda actions, one for my Farleys.

By using these simple tools, I can record the initial dimensions for each of my actions so that the brass will enter change from Rifle to Rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
A consideration, too. If the new barrel is larger diameter at the breech than the old one, check to see that the new barrel is not contacting any bedding that was against the old barrel. If it will contact by a considerable amount, and you force it, you might break the action free.

Back