How thick should bedding compound be?

I am not sure that you guys get what is being tested for, and why it should be done in the vertical position.

Somewhere in my workshop, I have a much smaller and lighter attachment for a dial indicator than the massive one I tried using. Problem is, ... I have to find it! :(

The bedding should be flat front to rear and rear to front? It would seem to me that ..015" of compression over the rear pillar is excessive, of course a little bit back there would be exaggerated on the other end but .015" ?

Pete

I can now relate to why the "action bedding" must be tested in a vertical position only, with the rifle butt being supported on a sturdy surface. The rear tang screw and pillar, are "IMHO" the weakest point in the action and bedding. All three of my 10X actions use "three action screws" and pillars. I drill and tap for a third action screw (1/4X28 TPI) @ 1.750" back from the front screw, on center. This may be considered overkill by many, but it has worked well for me. I only wish they came tapped this way from the factory.

The bedding should be flat front to rear and rear to front? It would seem to me that ..015" of compression over the rear pillar is excessive, of course a little bit back there would be exaggerated on the other end but .015" ?

Pete

Pete go back and reread the mans post the rifle was UPSIDEDOWN in his cradle with the barrel hanging free under, why would the barrel,magnetic indicator base, and action NOT move, and .015 isn't that much with all the weight of the barrel and action and indicator.When he loosened the rear bolt it didn't move which is what should happen but when he loosened the front it moved as it should have. It really wasn't a good way to do the test(no disrespect John), the test is properly done with the gun right side up.
MC

Found my clamp on dial indicator

I located my smaller dial indicator, which has the ability to clamp to the barrel. I tested one of my rifles (XIII/Stith/Mullerworks) with it and the front screw showed .0035" of movement when loosened. The middle screw had movement of .001" as did the rear action screw. When each screw was snugged up, the indicator dial returned to zero.

On my newer rifle (X3L/Lidgard/Mullerworks) there was NO noticeable movement at all on the dial indicator, when loosening and tightening each screw. This may be due to the fact that the Zebra wood stock is very hard/dense. Only a guess.

Tomorrow morning we have another USBR match at the club. Will try the new dial indicator setup on my friends rifle. But now he wants to keep shooting my rifle. LOL John

Attachments

• front screw loosened.jpg
    front screw loosened.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 219
  • middle screw loosened.jpg
    middle screw loosened.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 200
  • rear screw loosened.jpg
    rear screw loosened.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 191
  • Lidgard stock perfect.jpg
    Lidgard stock perfect.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 212
As I recall from Centerfire Days

I can now relate to why the "action bedding" must be tested in a vertical position only, with the rifle butt being supported on a sturdy surface. The rear tang screw and pillar, are "IMHO" the weakest point in the action and bedding. All three of my 10X actions use "three action screws" and pillars. I drill and tap for a third action screw (1/4X28 TPI) @ 1.750" back from the front screw, on center. This may be considered overkill by many, but it has worked well for me. I only wish they came tapped this way from the factory.

Some of the custom actions over the years do or did come with three action screw holes but, as I recall, the center screw tended to upset the vertical plane of the bedding alignment when tightened.

I don't think the .22 Rimfire rifles require a whole lot in the area of bedding, not like high recoiling CF rifles do. I have seen too many .22 rifles, factory Anschutz' and the like, with no bedding shoot pretty dern well. It's one of those check off things to make sure everything has been covered. Sort of like all the fuss over being able to bend a Turbo action by pushing down on the rear tang. If the action is screwed down to good bedding or even a flat surface, how ya gonn bend it? A lot of this stuff gets blown out of proportion is all but it ain't good to bend actions with un-even bedding. Makes them bolts hard to open and close, eh? :p

Pete

John
From your pictures It looks like you are indicating on the front end measuring horizontal movement & not vertical???
You need to indicate on the top or bottom of the stock for a valid check.
With that being said any horizontal movement would indicate a problem.

One should be able to see - -

a gap under the rear of the action, if they tighten the front action screw, if there they have a bow in their bedding. could probably check it with feeler gauges or ya five dollar bill.

Pete

John
From your pictures It looks like you are indicating on the front end measuring horizontal movement & not vertical???
You need to indicate on the top or bottom of the stock for a valid check.
With that being said any horizontal movement would indicate a problem.

Doug,

The indicator fixture I'm using in the photos has a traverse bar about five inches long. One side of the bar was centered under the stock, about 1/2" back from the front edge. The other end of the bar pushes upward on the indicator pin (beveled head) to produce a reading on the dial. If I get a chance I will take a close up photo of the fixture and post it here.

Didn't have an opportunity to test my friends rifle with the new indicator setup. He again took 2nd place (eight unlimited competitors) in our club USBR match with my better rifle. His 45X scope was shipped back to Leupold.

John

Back