how often do you clean?

T

tpende

just wondering how often you guys clean you rifles at the range? or does it vary from rifle to rifle because I'm sure there are some that shoot better as they get dirty. to a point that is.

i find myself cleaning my cooper every 25 shots or so. scrub it with the nylon brush, let i soak while i go check my target, get back, scrub it again, run the bore snake though it, and shes good to go. i do the same before i leave i just hit the bore snake with a couple shots of shooters choice vanilla lube

of course theres been a couple times Ive put 50 through it and it seems to maybe lose 10% of its accuracy. if that

also can a carbon rod hurt my barrel?
can over cleaning hurt it?

I don't clean my factory barrels very often...

I have one match grade barrel that wants to be cleaned after about 12 - 15 rounds and another will go about 60 before asking to be cleaned.

The Best Bore Guide

IMHO T. K. NOLAN:D

Most, not all, benchrest competitors clean between every target.
5-15+ rounds.

Bore Guide?

I have tried to find out about T K Nolan cleaning rod guide and can't seem to find any info? Web site? nothing?
Can someone give me the info on T K Nolan cleaning rod guide? Please!
Jack

Don't forget the Mike Lucas bore guide. Best buy for the money, in my opinion. Throw that bore snake in the trash. Its like running a dirty patch thru your barrel to clean it.

Donald

I clean...

just wondering how often you guys clean you rifles at the range? or does it vary from rifle to rifle because I'm sure there are some that shoot better as they get dirty. to a point that is. also can a carbon rod hurt my barrel?
can over cleaning hurt it?

I clean my Shilen match barrel only between match yardages, i.e., between the 100 and 200yd match; which amounts from 40-45 rounds. I find in my particular case that cleaning between each match target offers no advantage or more accuracy. I use Sweets, Butch's Boreshine, a brass brush, and Kroil, followed by a dry patch.

Can't give any advise on carbon rods since I use a coated Dewey rod. If done with the right procedures, I don't see any damage done by "over cleaning" what ever that means.

You'll get more advise on cleaning routines than you'll ever be able to understand.

Good luck,
Virg

Boresnake????????

I HOPE this is a JOKE!!!! :eek:

I absolutely would NOT drag a filthy grit-imbedded rag theough MY barrel! If I drop a patch on the clean floor I throw it away.......

Plus that hangey sloppy turd flapping all up in my action, dropping gunk into my jewels.........wringing carbon and fulminate particles into my chamber.......filing my machined surfaces, breaking my edges and depositing crud all in my raceways.....

ughhh, perish the thought, it causes my viscera to tremble.....

Ohhhh Sorry.

Just don't like boresnakes I guess :eek:

:D

al

Cleaning

The only Rifles I shoot are competition Benchrest Rifles.
I clean after every group, regarless whether I have fired one clearing round, and five record shots, or used up an entire block to make a group.

My cleaning procedure never varies. About three wet patches, then I brush with a quality brass cored Bronze Brush, then I run enough wet patches through to get the "brush blue' out. I then let it soak while I am loading for the next group, then a wet patch, and then how ever many dry patches it takes to dry it.

I also use nothing but Butches Bore Shine. I never put things like JB or ISSO in a barrel.

Of course, as I said, this is used on Competition Rifles. Your Cooper probably has a pretty decent barrel, maybe not as good as the Kriegers I use, but good compared to most Factory offerrings.

The only way you can hurt a barrel by cleaning is to use improper procedures. First and formost, is a good barrel guide. The TK Nolan is, in my opinion, the best, with the lucas a very close second.

Dewey Rods have set the standard for cleaning rods, that is what I use. I will continue to use them, as I have seen nothing better. Maybe as good, but not better.

One thing to always be on guard against is letting the rod lay on the muzzle, and continue to advance it. The best bore guide in the world will not keep the rod from laying down on the muzzle as the patch or brush clears. Get in the habit of stopping that rod the instant you feel the patch or brush clear the muzzle. Trust me, you can RUIN a crown if you continue those big long strokes while allowing that rod to lay on the bottom of the bore.........jackie

First --- get a good bore guide and rod. That is where you start from.

i counldnt find a good bore guide that would fit my cooper at cabelas. so i turned one out of aluminum and also turned a delron plastic tip for it thats a couple thousands over so its liquid tight. :)

Boresnake????????

google it. its a rope like deal with a brush built into it that you just pull through your barrel

and i buy a new one every 100 rounds or so and i wash the one i use everytime i get home and i keep it in a ziploc bag. but after reading this i think ill switch from nylon to a bronze brush. toss the boresnake and just use patches and a jage

Last edited by a moderator:
Back