How Many NBRSA Regions Scheduling Varmint for Score Matches??

jackie schmidt

Many of the Regions are finalizing their 2010 schedule. I am curious to see how many Clubs are scheduling Varmint for Score Matches........jackie

Eastern Region...

... has a full year at three clubs in Michigan being finalized as I write this. One of the clubs added at Oscoda (on the old Wurtsmith AFB property) is a new NBRSA club!

We also added one, and maybe another new club, for a total of two clubs to shoot GROUP matches this year. Shelby County in Ohio has got back up online this year and Kevin Hovis is trying to get a range up and running in Southern Indiana. So much for the prediction that score shooting will cause the decline of group shooting.

In fact, we are changing the format at one of our normal group matches to have a two-day 200-yard four-gun; and we are doing this right before one of the group nationals so guys get a chnce to ring out their rail guns. Making positive changes like this only serve to increase participation.

My observation about the future of benchrest is that we have a lot of old-timers who are threatened by change and not wanting to move forward for fear of losing what we have. That wouldl become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And then we have a large number of newer guys who are taking the bull by the horns and trying to get ranges up and running. As long as we older guys embrace and encourage the new guys to take up the sport, no matter what discipline, we just may have places to shoot in the future.

Group and score shooting are complimentary disciplines and only good things come from fostering increased participation.

Last edited:
Joe

That's Good News.

We have picked up three affiliate Clubs for Varmint for Score in The Gulf Coast Region. They are San Angelo, Lake Charles Louisianna, and Austin.

That is three more Clubs, scattered over the Region, plus the regular Group Season at Tomball, Denton, Seymore, New Braunfels, and Midland.

The Clubs and Match Directors are stepping up to the plate. This is a good thing.........jackie

Adding to what Joe said.....

Some of the score matches at Oscoda will be NBRSA registered, and possibly some of the score matches at other ranges such as Holton, etc may also be NBRSA.

Steve Robbins is also trying to get some group matches going at a range where he is a member and does a lot of his practice. The range is at Winn, Michigan which is near Mt. Pleasant. I haven't heard how that is progressing for a few weeks now. And, I am not sure if these maches will be NBRSA registered.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that any time we can get a new shooter to try shooting just about anything from a bench in a diciplined match, we have a good chance of that person becoming hooked on benchrest. I applaud the activities of visionary Regional Directors and others, like Joe who are actively trying to grow our sport.

Now we just need to change the name to something like "Benchrest for Score".

Adrian

I think if the NBRSA does adopt the class after the one year probation, we should change the name to something like you suggest. "Benchrest for Score" does sound pretty good. ..........jackie

Back