How do we increase membership today?

Phil

this isnt a derogatory statement.To use your example how many riding styles are there and how do I know which to use,do I want yamaha,honda,ducatietc.2or4 stroke.Its a matter of going to a meeting talking and making informed decisions there are no cut and dry formulas.sorry but half the fun is in the working out the many combinations,good luck & good shooting Jim

Phil,
Long before you hit the race track I am sure you went to races as a spectator. You probably roamed around the paddock checking out bikes and talking to racers.

Have you been to a BR match ?

At our last few matches we have had spectators roaming the benches, checking out the rifles and gear, asking reloading questions, etc. All their questions were answered without any 'holier than thou' tone of voice or attitude. All the BR guys know that they also had to learn it from someone. Hopefully some of these people will come out and shoot in an event.

Great Question"' First it isn't going to happen overnight'
Their are several types of shooters out there.
Club shooters
match shooters
occasional shooters
Plinkers' hunters who shot about 3 times a year.
Getting them interested and willing to spend the time and money is a chore'
At camillus they have a small match every Wednesday.
The match starts at 10 am and finishes at about 11.30.
They use the hunter class target at 200 yds. 5 shots at each bull, for a total score of 250 and 25x . It is open to the public .
We could care less what type rifle you shoot. every thing except a 50 barret / The backstop won't take that pounding"'
Some guys are benchrest shooters others are learning. some shoot at matches others don't.
All i can add it that's it a lot of fun. He who reads the wind the best usually places. We charge a small fee $3 50% payback to the shooters down to half of the competitors about 6 or 7 places.
It's great fun for 28 weeks a year.
This is one way to get some people interested.
We all help each other and enjoy the morning. Some serious shooters are there and can help any one get started. We find decent rifles for beginners and help them as much as possable . After that it's up to them, to decide to go on to registered benchrest or be content just being a club shooter.
I think this may be one avenue to attract shooters into benchrest.
At the end of the season we have a little get together and give out some cheap plastic trophy{ Joel nader know the type' :D
I know wednesday is not a great day for most of you '
You could have yours on a saturday or other day . It's up to all of us and our clubs to get things going.
I don't tthink group shooting will stop in IBS. True score is picking up a lot , simply because it's easier to set up. {you need a smaller target crew .
As long as people are on the quest for the ultimate accuracy group shooting will survive [Sorry spell check is out"""""]

Phil3- I understand where you are coming from. I shoot 22 BR encouraged by Joe Haller-Sault Sainte Marie, MI. Your post dont say where you are at/shooting. If anywhere near the Soo (Sault) come to a match any you will join. Joe has encouraged more shooters that one can inagine.

I started 22 BR (USBR-not registered shoots) just about 6 yrs ago with my Mossberg and know what you are talking about as to equipment (race). I since have accquired a couplke fair rifles and increased my ammo budget. I get beat everytime I shoot. Joes motto-"all shooters are winners" and one might add-you cant win if you dont shoot.

I believe your post indicated you dont have a rifle. Go to a match, shoot one(most shooters will let you shoot theirs), and you will quickly find one 'for sale'. Buy it and get going. OR shoot what you got.

I am mostly shooting against myself-cause there are some dudes with high priced equip, experience, and time to shoot couple times weekly that you (I) will never beat.

A book on BR....

I can find virtually nothing on shooting technique, which is described as crucial. OK, but how do I learn it? Why is reloading so important? A naive question to many, and plenty of topics on the mechanics of doing, but little info on why one is doing it? Why must the brass be sized so exactly? What is all the fuss about on various bedding techniques? What is best in a BR gun? And a zillion more questions, and even more terms to get answers to and learn. It seems to be me there should be a book on all this. Maybe there is, but I see no mention of any such informational source by anyone or organization.

Phil,

Here is THE book to answer most of your questions........

http://extremerifleaccuracy.com/

cale

this isnt a derogatory statement.To use your example how many riding styles are there and how do I know which to use,do I want yamaha,honda,ducatietc.2or4 stroke.Its a matter of going to a meeting talking and making informed decisions there are no cut and dry formulas.sorry but half the fun is in the working out the many combinations,good luck & good shooting Jim

No offense taken. In response to your specific comments, my intent was to show how one organization is more welcoming to beginners than another. The bike organization (AFM) is at every motorcycle show I ever attend, with representatives passing out informational sheets and answering questions. I have never seen any BR representation at any gun show. I subscribe to Precision Shooting magazine, but this is often over my head. Regarding motorcycle roadracing, there is considerable information, readily available and easy to find, information on skills and equipment, as well as riding schools for beginners to budding roadracers. BR needs more of things like the Kelbly school (http://www.kelbly.com/school.html). I'd spend the $250 for this in a hearbeat, if available where I am.

Further, road racing motorcycles is something one can not do without a lot of prior riding time, during which one obtains substantial knowledge and skills. For me, roadracing was little more than simply taking what I did on the street for years and moving it to the track and learning a few more things, such as track rules.

As a final note, my original comment was to communicate perceptions of a beginner. One may dismiss the perceptions, citing them as unfounded, but those perceptions are what they are, and people make decisions affecting membership, off of those perceptions. I offered comments in the hopes that a new person's perspective may provide some insight as to why one beginner may not become a member.

- Phil

Phil,
Long before you hit the race track I am sure you went to races as a spectator. You probably roamed around the paddock checking out bikes and talking to racers.

Have you been to a BR match ?

At our last few matches we have had spectators roaming the benches, checking out the rifles and gear, asking reloading questions, etc. All their questions were answered without any 'holier than thou' tone of voice or attitude. All the BR guys know that they also had to learn it from someone. Hopefully some of these people will come out and shoot in an event.

Actually, I went to races that I would compete in, just a few times, and checked out bikes and talked to a few guys in the pits rather infrequently. I pretty much knew what I needed to know already, from reading and lots of riding time. Still, the entry point for a beginner was obvious, a class for just one bike, (Kawasaki Ninja 250) and it had to be stock, other than tires. Simple, fun, cheap, slower, it was an excellent way to learn the ropes and build skills. Once I placed high enough, I was moved out of beginner to Expert.

No, I have not been to a BR match, and hopefully the above kind of beginner introduction opportunity and welcoming attitude is available when I attend a NBRSA match in October.

- Phil

A few have noted that I did not indicate where I am located, making it near impossible for anyone to help me out with a start in BR, when geographical considerations are important. Sorry about that!

I am in San Ramon, CA. That is about 36 miles due east of San Francisco.

I will drive a fair distance to make contact with some source that can provide me information and exposure to BR equipment, technique, and knowledge.

- Phil

I can find virtually nothing on shooting technique, which is described as crucial. OK, but how do I learn it? Why is reloading so important? A naive question to many, and plenty of topics on the mechanics of doing, but little info on why one is doing it? Why must the brass be sized so exactly? What is all the fuss about on various bedding techniques? What is best in a BR gun? And a zillion more questions, and even more terms to get answers to and learn. It seems to be me there should be a book on all this. Maybe there is, but I see no mention of any such informational source by anyone or organization.

Phil,

Here is THE book to answer most of your questions........

http://extremerifleaccuracy.com/

cale

Thanks! I will be ordering that one. And I found this, a wealth of info.

http://www.6mmbr.com/bookreviews.html

- Phil

I did not read most of these posts.

Id suggest the demo approach w/ advertizing at gunshops/shows, or anyplace shooters congregate.

Ask each shooter to bring a youger person out-teenager and parent.

Women should be recruited. When Mom shoots-the whole family shoots inc the dog AND Mom votes.

Get Ladies Involved

...Women should be recruited. When Mom shoots-the whole family shoots inc the dog AND Mom votes.

Since Mom usually has great control over the checkbook, getting her involved makes purchases much easier! Just ask my favorite Gunsmith.

Adrian

Getting new folks and keeping them...

Getting new folks and keeping them are two different things. Back in July you will find this post in this thread by Newbie01 tired of the crap
"I can see why people are hesitant to post on this website. You make a suggestion and you get pounced on by a bunch of rabbid dogs."
I know I have tried to float a few ideas. Been pounced on too. One of the recurring lectures is, "That is nothing new, been tried before etc" But for the new person, like me, how are we to know ? And if not suggested here, where ? I guess in terms of getting in new blood, you need to spark an interest. Once a person starts, you need to keep him/her here. I believe the membership of this community is smart, but enough of us don't take the time to be kind. If you make someone feel bad, they remember it. I know I have no interest in being around folks that make me feel bad. At my age, life is way too short.

. You have to get off your dufus and go..

Yep. Everything you said before that is true but the last sentence sums up the whole issue.

I think that is the issue that causes a lot of the 'harsh posts' on this site. People that come here with all sorts of ideas and opinions on how to do it but they ain't never been to a match.

You have to be willing to get outside of your comfort zone. You will be starting from near zero. You have a lot to learn. Isn't that what you want ???

The only thing I believe that some NEW people interested in a sport or any new function to them for that matter is to remember this: It usually isn't smart for new people to ask the people participating in a function to change said function so that they can be a part of it. Instead, find out about the function, participate in the function, then they'll realize why the function is the way it is and if they see something they think can be approved upon, then submitt the question or idea to said function. The biggest reason some people (not all) get pounced on is because they just don't understand and they need to ask questions instead of telling their opinion. It's called wording, politics, consideration, and many other things. Most of the time it's just how it's approached. I hope I haven't rambled meanilessly.

It's kind of like my theory in matureing. Your in your teens and you know everything, understand everything and nobody is going to tell you any different (in general), then you hit your twenties and you realize, boy, I didn't know everything but I do now....then late twenties and thirties and you realize, wow, I really didn't know everything then either...but I do now and then you hit Forty and you just realize that you don't know everything, never will, and just how dumb you really are compared to everything in the world. Problem is....a lot of people never make it to the last part. :eek::eek:

Hovis

Back