Help Identify and value a Bench Rest Rifle I Inherited Please - Miller Custom Rifles

Greenspan

I recently came into possession of this rifle and need assistance identifying what it is and what the value is. I am a shooter but have never done benchrest so I am pretty ignorant. Pictures below and here is what I know.

1. Caliber 6mm PPC
2. Remington Action
3. Model XP100 Sleeved
4. Build by Harvey Miller of Miller Custom Rifles in San Leandro CA
5. Looks like a Jewl trigger
6. Built in 1981

So what can anyone tell me, and what would i reasonably be able to sell it for? Where would I even sell such a specific item?

qiXHDZP.jpg

GKbnfab.jpg

H7CxHor.jpg

Amazing artifact unearthed from the Pleistocene Benchrest Era

Most sleeved action rifles are not as desirable as a custom action. The stock has a nice paint job and that will help sell the rifle. The Jewell trigger is pretty standard on this type of rifle. The barrel is fluted of unknown origin and # of rounds. I would guess on a price of $900 without the scope or $1,300 with. You can sell it on an internet market place or shop it around to several gun shops. The only way to tell if the rifle shoots well is to shoot it. It might be a barn burner but probably won't be. Since you don't shoot benchrest you have three choices: sell the rifle as is, use it as a a varmint rifle (a 6PPC is one hell of a dog gun with 70 gr. polymer tipped bullets.) or, lord help you, try benchrest shooting. Hope this helps. Tim

Tight Neck?

Just an FYI that you may already be aware of - Is there any indication as to chamber neck diameter, and/or did you also inherit prepared cases? If you are going to load and shoot this rifle, you'll need to determine neck diameter to ensure safe operation.

Benchrest Rifles are a singular purpose piece of equipment. You have to find someone that wants it.

I would think $900 would be what you could expect.

Is that a older Leupold 24 or 36x scope? Those never wear out, in that Leupold has a lifetime warranty.

By the way. That appears to be a McMillan stock.

Sleeved actions fell out of favor a while ago.

Might be an OK starter rifle but that is likely about it.

Whoever buys it will probably drop another barrel in it right away thus reducing its value on the used market to an actual competitor.

I've owned several of these and still have one that is almost identical except for the paint job. It is a very accurate rifle, but not the kind of thing most benchrest shooters are looking for. I will point out though, it looks like it was made into a right bolt, left port. I don't think I've seen an XP with that kind of modification. I will agree that $900 is about what you can expect for it and that might be on the high side. Good luck should you choose to move it. Probably the two best places to list it would be here and accurateshooter.com.

Rick

Nice rifle. You ought to shoot it and enjoy. I’m sure it’ll drive a tack
That said I agree with what most say around $900
Someone looking for a modified UBR rifle may want it. Never seen one made into a right left either

Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to reply. Although I am a shooter I currently have too many disciplines going to take up another and will likely have the gun up for sale shortly. I really appreciate everything. If anyone has more info please don't hesitate to post it.

Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to reply. Although I am a shooter I currently have too many disciplines going to take up another and will likely have the gun up for sale shortly. I really appreciate everything. If anyone has more info please don't hesitate to post it.

Should you choose to sell this rifle, please get in touch with me. As Tim Singleton pointed out, this rifle would be an excellent choice for Ultimate Benchrest Modified class. I can't guarantee a sale, but UBR is very popular in our region and I will be glad to spread the information among those who may be interested.

Rick Fox
Goodlettsville TN
tnmountainaire@bellsouth.net

I had a couple of sleeved Remingtons that shot like the hammers of hell. The LV rifle was a 222 and the HV was a 222.5. Wish I hadn't sold those rifles but I did. The light rifle had a bumped up Leupold on it and you had to be really careful or it would cut your nose on recoil. My friend Mark Luksic was shooting that rifle and he came back from the line with two bleeding cuts on his nose. I asked why he had two cuts and he said he should have had five because the shots were in a wad and he didn't want to change anything. The target measured .150 and at the time that was a wall hanger.

Back