Hello everyone! New guy here looking for suggestions

They are first class. With a friendly competition you aren't worrying about you rifle making any weight class. The Nightforce is an excellent choice. Also at a better price point and I think is marketed to compete with nightforce is the Sightron Siii 10-50-60. I own one of these and it is all I could ask for at half the cost of the nightforce.

Thanks for that recommendation Tim. I definitely will look into the Sightron Siii.

Yep, I like the flip-flops, tee shirt and cut-off blue jeans look myself. I guess I am too laid back for bellbottoms. (LOL)

The NF 12x42 Benchrest could be the best buy out there. They have a lifetime warranty so there is no problem with getting a used scope. The prices are running around $1050 -1150 for the most part. Check the listings on accurateshooter.com in the forum. If you don't mind spending a little, it's not difficult to get a used benchrest rifle chambered in 6PPC in the $1000 range that will do everything you want and more.

Rick

Wonder why this guy is selling his Sightron?
Do the Sightrons have a reputation for being STURDY scopes?
I haven't had time to read any reviews yet.... BUT....These scopes have a life time warranty too.

I plan to at least TRY my 257 WM for a couple of shoots but if the recoil makes a scope lose its zero I will definitely rethink the rifle.
I really don't want to drop 2 grand first pop out of the box. If I do and my wife finds out, well, I might wish I had the 2 grand back for an attorney (LOL).

Mike

Triple Deuce...

Heck
Find an old rem788 in 22-250. Get 36 power scope, factory a ammo and I bet you beat 'em all.
Bill

Is anyone using the Remington .222 against the 6ppc...???

I will be trying a .222 in a Rem 788 that I picked up real cheap...

I will be putting a Tasco 36X on it...and shooting from a Caldwell Co-Axial, Bag back...

Chuck

Last edited:
If you love that 257 Weatherby Mag, don't shoot it in that competition. You'll end up hating it pretty quickly.

There are a ton of used 6 PPC and 30 BR rifles in the classifieds.

If you love that 257 Weatherby Mag, don't shoot it in that competition. You'll end up hating it pretty quickly.

There are a ton of used 6 PPC and 30 BR rifles in the classifieds.

I LIKE my 257 but we are not attached at the hip (LOL).

I took my 257 out to the range yesterday. At 100 yards I got a 1" group for 5 shots. I was pleased since I only have a 4.5 - 10x Weaver scope on it right now. Then I tried it at 200 yards..... well, at 200 yards it was impossible to see the bullseye. My group grew to about 6" but I was guessing at the center (total pot luck).

Well, then my friend let me shoot his 308 Remington 700 5R with a Nightforce 15 - 50x on it. WOW!!! I could easily see a dime-size dot posted on the target stand! I was able to hit a hickory nut (about 3/4" dia) pretty reliably at 200 yards (2 out of 3). I was IMPRESSED with the performance of his rifle!! He had definitely done his homework. He told me at least 90% of the shooters in the club were shooting 308. He explained that he worked out his powder load for 200 yards and was shooting moly coated bullets. As a result, he had really tightened his groups!!
It was a windy day yesterday, but the shooting lane had a stand of trees that helped keep the wind off the bullet. We had LOADS of fun!!!

I am HOOKED!! LD shooting is a real hoot!!!!

Mike

moly does not make a rifle shoot BETTER.
moly allows a rifle to shoot the SAME longer.
moly reduces friction a little and require one to work up a new load in nearly every case.

as has been pointed out, if you go with a used br rifle, 6ppc.30br, you will most likely out shoot the 308's.
the very fact that the guy is shooting a nightforce scope of any kind tells you the friendly club shoot is pretty serious.

Thanks Paul, it really does seem most shooters here are advising I look into a 6ppc or a 30br. And I am listening. I haven't bought anything yet because I want to make a good choice and get the most bang for my buck!

Yes, the little I have learned about the moly coating tells me it will allow you to shoot longer without your group suffering from a dirty barrel.

Oh yes, my friend is very serious. He has nice toys! He has champagne taste and a wallet to back it.
He did say there is one guy that has a 6ppc but doesn't really do well with it. He rarely is in the top 5. Maybe that makes these other guys think the 6ppc is not such a great rifle after all. Who knows. ANYWAY...., after reading everyone's suggestions in this thread,I do think I will look into the used BR rifles before I spend ANY MONEY. I don't want to spend a grand here and a grand there and then still not have what I want. I want to start out with an investment in a rifle for this 200 yard game that will compete.

Mike

You haven't said if your friends have any rules against mechanical front rests? Bipods only? Or anything gos?

To shoot the ppc to its potential requires a complete shooting system
The correct stock for your shooting
A front and rear rest designed for the stock
Optics
The knowledge to re load it to its potential. Understanding tuning the bullet seating depth
A barrel that is not used completely up
All of the things and many more are more expensive than the rifle itself

The gentlemen shooting a 6ppc who is being out shot by .308s at 200 is not the norm.
He may not understand how to shoot it to its full potential or doesn't have a shooting system that complements each other

If you don't know anyone shooting a ppc successfully that can help with the learning curve it can be frustrating. Believe me there is an expensive learning curve

If you really want to win against your buds at 200 and want to spend the time to learn the system the 6ppc will do the job for you IMO

Last edited:
Almost everyone shoots from lead sleds. Both the fore stock and butt of the rifle can be supported. SO, pretty mush anything goes short of clamping your rifle into a vise.

All you have to do is have superior equipment, weaponry and be the best shooter. Shoot an egg first and then paint balls until you miss... that's it.
At the last match, out of a field of 18 shooters, the winner hit the egg and ONE paint ball in the final round...... with a 308 rem 700..... and there you have it.
So, with that said, I want to play the game and I do want to be competitive. I feel like I can compete if I have enough rifle and scope to do the job.

This thread has been a real learning experience for me....

Thanks EVERYONE!!!!

Mike

... I want to play the game and I do want to be competitive. ...

In that case, realize that your game is more like SCORE shooting than GROUP shooting. A bigger bullet is an advantage. Forget the 6PPC, and get a 30BR.

Cheers,
Keith

In that case, realize that your game is more like SCORE shooting than GROUP shooting. A bigger bullet is an advantage. Forget the 6PPC, and get a 30BR.

Cheers,
Keith

Yep, that was what I was sort of thinking of.
Just like cutting the outside of a line, if you get the edge of that paint ball, its gonna go! (Maybe I need a 50 Barrett... LOL)
I have no idea where I hit that hickory nut yesterday... all I know is it WENT DOWN!!!

Yep, I think I will look into the 30's in the classifieds. I read a few and I did notice everyone was listing the number of shots thru their rifles. What NUMBER OF SHOTS is on the border of being excessive?

Mike

Thanks Paul... I see it now. WOW... what a list of rifles!

Mike

He did say there is one guy that has a 6ppc

Seek this guy out at the club....

but doesn't really do well with it.

STRANGE... For sure.

6ppc / 30BR......... Either way, get all set up and PRACTICE...! Give them .308 shooters @
200yds >>FITS<<...!
;)
cale

I am going to go see the owner of the range tomorrow. As I understand he helps the other guys set up their rifles and gives everyone advice etc.
I think I see a pattern..... His range, helps with rifles set-up, gives out free advice to his covey of followers..... no wonder everyone shoots 308.

Hmmmmmmmmm............

Mike

Real BENCHREST front rest (Farley, Seb) and rear bag (Edgewood, Proteckor) will give you an unfair advantage. They are as important as the rifle itself.

UNFAIR advantage??? (LOL)... Naahh, I am just going to a different source for my information regarding how to "take full advantage of the system".

;)

Mike

Back