hearing protection

tiny68

Ok something I haven't considered. I have been used a fairly bulky set of ear muffs for +10 years and they have served me well. At the BR I went to watch, several of the shooters had what looked like a molded earplug. My muffs are interfering with getting my cheek into proper alignment. Any cost effective suggestions for something smaller? My hearing is bad enough from 10 years of shooting without plugs or muffs as a kid. I've got to save what I have left.

tiny

Last edited:
Tiny

I use ear plugs & just got me some high scope rings.Hoping the rings will get me sitting squarer & get a more comfortable position.

Since you already say that you have hearing loss, cost effectiveness should NOT be an issue. I have significent hearing loss and when I shot the DCM matches at Camp Perry, I would use molded plugs and muffs. M-14's make a lot of noise. Now shooting BR, I use risers to raise the scope level and a set of Peltor Tac 6 Stereo muffs. Some people just use plugs or molded plugs. Try this, put your finger in front of your ear canal just below your sideburns and push in. Your ear should close up and you will not be able to hear. There are small bones under there that are part of your hearing system. When you do not use a muff, you are sending shock waves through that area to your inner ear. Not good. Check with an Ear Specalist. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tiny,

I have, and use, molded ear plugs. They are fantastic!!! I have tried almost everything known to man and I like these the best. My hearing is also fading so I want to protect myself the best I can so I wear the molded plug and muffs at the same time. The muffs I wear are thinner so they don't get in my way. On occasion, I still do bump my muff on the stock. But, I do make sure I'm not touching when I pull the trigger.

My molded plugs were made at a local gun show. The guy looked down my ear canal, cleaned them up, tied a cotton ball to a string and stuffed the cotton ball down the canal. He then mixed up the stuff, put it in a syringe and put it in my ear. I sat there for about 15 mintues while the stuff cured.

What's that you said? I can't hear you ;).

Count me in the molded plugs PLUS muffs group. If I only use one or the other, I get "ringing" (tinnitus), and I already had damage from shooting without hearing protection when I was young.

Protect what you still have.

Jim

I find that the high DB rated (over 30) foam plugs in conjunction with shotgun muffs (only 21 DB rated) do the trick quite well.

I either use foam plugs and muffs or turn off my hearing aids - what say? - and use muffs. The hearing aids in their muted mode work like plugs when worn along with muffs. Protect your hearing and your eyes, whatever can be done after they're damaged won't bring them back to OE specs. :(

Molded Plugs

From -29 to -32 DBs I've gotten mine through my work over the years. The different companies vary in their NPRR rating. Though my first pair was at a gunshow as described above, not as smooth a finnish but workable enough. Think I paid about 25 bucks 25-30 years ago, I hear their about 35-50 now. The muffs as a cover set is a very nice setup works great,but tough to hear range commands

Last edited:
molded plugs

I have two pair that I have used over the last couple of years I got one set at a gun show and one that I had done in a major audiologist's office. The one done at the gun show does a better job of hearing protection. The both costs about $40/pair. I had the second pair made as a backup and I keep them for flying in loud airplanes.

One big benefit of having it done in the audiologist's office was I got my ears completely cleaned of wax, I have a major wax builduo problem. I will have a new set made every year as it is cheaper toi have him clean them out then my doctor and he does a better job.

When I shoot my 44 Mag handgun I use both muffs and the plugs and I will probably do so when I fire my 50 BMG.

Keep the hearing you have left,

wade

wade

I recommend using ...

an Electronic Ear Muff

Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) is the measure, in decibels, of how well a hearing protector reduces noise, as specified by the Environmental Protection Agency. The higher the number, the greater the noise reduction. Anything over 85 dB can be damaging to your hearing.
Here's a sampling of noise levels:
Normal Conversation - 60dB
Auto Traffic - 75dB
Sanding - 85dB
Subway - 90dB
Woodworking - 100dB
Drilling (pneumatic) - 100dB
Power Saw - 110dB
***Gunfire - 120dB***

I recommend Electronic Ear Muffs. I use Remington® R2000™ Electronic Earmuffs. These electronic earmuffs selectively monitor sound, "shutting out anything above 84 decibels." But they let normal conversation through with individual controls. Their lightweight, thin in profile and have adjustable headband. And an external battery housing makes changing batteries quick and easy. Batteries are included. If you shut off the Electronics they still provide an NRR of about 23 dBs. DON'T shut off the Electronics. You won't get the benefits you're paying for. You'll find them advertised for around $100 ($99.99 at Midway) or more. I paid $54.95 at Wal-Mart.

Attachments

• R2000.jpg
    R2000.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 244
I have a pair of Tac 7s (electronics) but they are just used for hunting. I still prefer the molded & muffed for range shotting though

Good stuff

Thanks for everyones input. I know is probably one of the most important things I can do to protect myself and I have ignored for a long time.

Tiny

Back