Heads up!

A simple USB computer camera plugged in to a netbook would do it for you. The small ones are real cheap and you can make a delrin eye piece adapter to hold it on the back of the scope. I think I paid about $10 for the last one I bought.

Fast target acquisition isn't a part of this game.
However I already have a heads up display for my weapon. Its called an EOTECH.

This idea is too much akin to that "virtual hunting" concept, where you control an actual firearm by remote control from your own living room and can actually harvest game across the continent. If BR competition is going the way of lasers and mini-monitors, well then count me out. How about inventing a target material that one could measure bullet holes more precisely instead.

This idea is too much akin to that "virtual hunting" concept, where you control an actual firearm by remote control from your own living room and can actually harvest game across the continent. If BR competition is going the way of lasers and mini-monitors, well then count me out. How about inventing a target material that one could measure bullet holes more precisely instead.

Yeah!!! Thats right. We need precision target materials.

I am NOT the guy from the past who advocated Formica be used.

Well, I am a bit surprised at some of the responses, that is for sure. I would like to make a few points before proceeding any further.

Firstly, my target audience is not Benchrest shooters, I was just testing the waters here since I enjoy the forum so much. However, my creation can and will make rifle shooting more enjoyable and easier.

Secondly, I cannot 100% reveal my idea until the patent paperwork is finalized, so a lot of the far fetched ideas (the members idea of what it is) are taking the thread in a bad direction. My idea is quite simple in theory, and I ask that you not read too much into the concept.

Thank you all for your input, and welcome any questions!

Tim

TedH,
Quick target acquisition is important to me if I'm trying to shoot a wind condition before it changes. If it is legal and you can make weight, why not?
Butch

Last edited:
Well, I am a bit surprised at some of the responses, that is for sure.

There is a saying common in engineering: "You can tell the pioneers, they are the ones facedown on the ground with arrows in their backs." Proposing something new and different, always, with out fail, will evoke responses from encouragement to total rejection and redicule. It's just how it is, and here is clearly no exception.

There are new computerized laser rangefinding scopes on the market now. I haven't purchased one because they aren't yet enough of an improvement on a bullet drop reticle, but they will get better and better, the price will come down, and the day may come that they are more common than conventional scopes on long range rifles used to shoot where distances are not known with precision in advance. There are scopes with a camera in them that displays on a monitor in the eyepiece which would seem to take the eye alignment out of the process while retaining the benefits of magnification. The Holographic scopes do this too, but with no magnification.

I don't think I need a heads up display for ground hog or deer hunting, but I'll be interested to see pictures of your setup and read reviews on it. I might find it useful, especially if it gives me a bigger image to aid my aging eyes. Who knows?

Good luck with this gadget.

Fitch

This might be just the thing for standing off hand shooting.

I shoot 22 silhoutte also and I have this idea that I could hold the riffle much steadier at my side against my hip. If it worked, we might have a rule fight.

Bill

Hello Boyd!

I am in the final testing phase now with the 3rd prototype. I have never shot it in competition, but looking forward to. The testing so far has been very surprising as far as multiple target acquisition with fixed magnification and near dark conditions. Very fast acquisition's with constant clarity :)

Tim

That "thwak!" you just heard was me slapping my forehead (probably why it is bereft of cranial foliage).

A heads up display that allowed one to have the weapon, a 12ga for example, at the hip and aim it would be a huge advantage in a HD situation, or for LEO's doing an entry to suspected hostile territory. If it worked like a true heads up display, one could have both eyes open looking around and still see the display so it could be used for aiming the hip held assault weapon. That would be a huge tactical advantage. Ideally it would enable a broad field of view to prevent mistaken identity shootings of innocents and earlier perception of hostiles, shorter response time, and improved accuracy - what's not to like?

Am I getting close?

Fitch

Fast target acquisition isn't a part of this game.
However I already have a heads up display for my weapon. Its called an EOTECH.

The EOTech Holosight can't record or zoom in, among a few other things... ;-)

There is a saying common in engineering: "You can tell the pioneers, they are the ones facedown on the ground with arrows in their backs." Proposing something new and different, always, with out fail, will evoke responses from encouragement to total rejection and redicule. It's just how it is, and here is clearly no exception.

There are new computerized laser rangefinding scopes on the market now. I haven't purchased one because they aren't yet enough of an improvement on a bullet drop reticle, but they will get better and better, the price will come down, and the day may come that they are more common than conventional scopes on long range rifles used to shoot where distances are not known with precision in advance. There are scopes with a camera in them that displays on a monitor in the eyepiece which would seem to take the eye alignment out of the process while retaining the benefits of magnification. The Holographic scopes do this too, but with no magnification.

I don't think I need a heads up display for ground hog or deer hunting, but I'll be interested to see pictures of your setup and read reviews on it. I might find it useful, especially if it gives me a bigger image to aid my aging eyes. Who knows?

Good luck with this gadget.

Fitch

Thanks Fitch! I have never heard that quote before, but sure makes sense!

I am totally prepared for any and all comments and suggestions, but its kind of hard to put credibility in some of them when I can't show them what we are discussing hahaha...., completely my error. I have always believed that the best place to learn something ins next to someone who has the knowledge and can show you. I have learned most of my rifle shooting skills from older gentleman, and my pistol-smith teacher was an elderly gentleman as well, old school is where its at! I guess at my age (42) I have the unique opportunity to have the best of both worlds when it comes to "old school" and technology, and integrating it within the world of shooting. I consider it a privilege to have learned from them, whether it be shooting at 400 yards or fitting a match barrel in a 1911. I have learned that you cant have just one or the other to be innovative, you need to have an open mind and think out of the box!

The EOTech Holosight can't record or zoom in, among a few other things... ;-)

Tim,
I have one on a H&K 93. I was curious to see how other people like theirs. It is strictly a quick aquisition sight and I like the idea that you don't have to be positioned directly behind it to put bullets on target. The sight does what it was designed to do very well.

Tim,
I have one on a H&K 93. I was curious to see how other people like theirs. It is strictly a quick aquisition sight and I like the idea that you don't have to be positioned directly behind it to put bullets on target. The sight does what it was designed to do very well.

Understood, I have one as well and like it very much! I have the older version with the larger screen and interchangeable reticles, but the old ones eat batteries like crazy!

That "thwak!" you just heard was me slapping my forehead (probably why it is bereft of cranial foliage).

A heads up display that allowed one to have the weapon, a 12ga for example, at the hip and aim it would be a huge advantage in a HD situation, or for LEO's doing an entry to suspected hostile territory. If it worked like a true heads up display, one could have both eyes open looking around and still see the display so it could be used for aiming the hip held assault weapon. That would be a huge tactical advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Warrior#Weapon

Tim,

I guess I don't exactly understand what your wanting to accomplish but inovation in optics is always a good thing. It will probably happen after I'm gone but lenes and mechanical mechanisims in scopes will be a thing in the past. The military already has optical sighting sytstems thats completely electro-optical, no moving parts. I believe thats where BR needs to go also. Remove POA/POI problems, add adjustable image for clarity and aquisition and eliminating mirage and light refraction issues.

Hovis

Hovis

Ted,
How do you like yours?

It works fine for anything under 100 yards but actually the M-68 Aimpoint is more accurate. In fact I can shoot better with the M-68 at any distance than I can the iron sites. The M-68 is my site of choice but the EOTECH might be just a little bit faster .... possibly.

Back