HBR stock taper rules?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I'm working on my HBR stock today and am trying to find out which rules pertain as far as taper/drop at the rear.

2 1/4" forend, OK
Mag cutout, OK
Barrel taper, OK
Wt, OK
Buttstock taper/drop, ?????

I'm familiar with the Varmint rules and what it takes to conform but I can't find anything re Hunter Class stock taper rules.

Help?

al

Al; Neither the IBS nor the NBRSA rulebooks give actual dimensions for acceptable Hunter stocks other than fore ends. IBS says the stocks must be of "...conventional hunting design"...or wording to that effect. It's generally accepted by Hunter competitors that the butts of Hunter stocks should follow the rules for the LV/Sporter/HV stocks.

Room for experimentation for those so inclined, I would think. ;)

Stocks

Al is correct, the butt stock taper is that of the Varmint and Sporter class.

The only other item of interest is the forearm cannot be flat or concave, it must have some convex. Now, the rules do not say how much, I suppose so small amount so that it can be detected will pass muster.........jackie

Last edited:
Thanks Al,

Thanks Jackie,

Neither IBS nor NBRSA has a clear statement to that effect but I will conform to drop/taper specs of Varmint class.

I think that this needs to be clarified, unless some Zumbo is prepared to walk up to me at a match and tell me flat out that wire stocks or tubular butts or adjustable skeletons "are not conventional hunting design", whatever that's supposed to mean. I think that gains could be realized from flattening out and raising the rear bag riding surface ..................... Or a keel like Seb's??? But it looks as though noone really cares about HBR anymore anyway. :(

Steenkin' 30BR.......

al

6 power

The 30 BR can be shot in Varmint Hunter in IBS. This class is for case capacity under 45 grains of H2O (?) or thereabouts. Same deal, 10 pound gun, 2.25" forearm, 6 power scope.
I am building a 6 power gun now and I know of another VFS shooter who is going to buy one in a few weeks. I shot this class for a short period of time this summer and find it to be more challenging and rewarding than VFS. (Shoot 24X and come in 6th???:eek:)
I cannot believe how well some of these people shoot the 6 power gun. They are extremely accurate tools. ;)
Best wishes.

Varmint Hunter

IBS rules, for Varmint Hunter, place no restrictions on caliber or, case capacity. Any legal Hunter class rifle may compete in the Varmint Hunter class, but not vice versa. The Hunter class has the case capacity rule.

Considering - - -

HBR rifles have swerved WAY AWAY from being anything resembling CONVENTIONAL as far as PRODUCTION rifles are concerned, I think it would be nice to allow one to use any stock they want to use as long as it conforms with the size paramaters. I was thinking specifically of the stock setup Gene Beggs is making. This would allow for a weight reduction to enable tuners to be used easily. We voted in favor of them, lets make it easier to use them.

There are those who think it was a mistake to allow custom actions to be used in HBR. The decision was made before my time of being involved in this but if I were to vote on it today I would vote against custom actions, even though I have and use them. It seems to me that requiring HBR rifles to be at least part of a production rifle would be a good thing but once the horse is out of the barn, let the horse be free.

Stocks

A while back, I asked the question, "what is the definition of a barrel block"??.

We have a new wave of stocks, mainly those of the sleletonized concept, that mount the action to the stock by way of a block that also serves as the forearm, or is attached to the forearm.

Read the rule real close. If anyone ever wins anything with one of these stocks, you can bet that it will be protested for being in violation of the barrel block rule.

That is why we need a definition of just what constitutes a barrel block.......jackie

Al,

I am too lazy to go and look in the current rule books, but there is another item if you are considering a minimum taper butt stock. In the past (for IBS and NBRSA), one group specified the taper to the bottom of the barrel, the other to the bore centerline. Basic geometry tells you there is a slight difference, so set up for the "worst-case."

Al,

Make it however you want as I do not know of either organization checking these rules. My father made two stock checkers for NBRSA, due to some people making illegal stocks, NBRSA has returned both and I know of not one stock being checked by NBRSA. So I guess the directors AGAIN do not give a crap about the rules, even after they are given a device to make their life easier without costing them a dime.

Jim

I wondered what happened to them Jim. I do believe, like Jackie, that rule clarifications need to be addressed before to many end up investing money into something that is later deamed illegal.

Hovis

I think it is one of the Gray areas

A while back, I asked the question, "what is the definition of a barrel block"??.

We have a new wave of stocks, mainly those of the sleletonized concept, that mount the action to the stock by way of a block that also serves as the forearm, or is attached to the forearm.

Read the rule real close. If anyone ever wins anything with one of these stocks, you can bet that it will be protested for being in violation of the barrel block rule.

That is why we need a definition of just what constitutes a barrel block.......jackie

It seems to me if one calls a clamped on forend a forend, that is what it is. A tuner clamped on isn't a barrel block is it? I have seen at least one of those on a rifle that was competing and nothing was said. It seems to me that the barrel block refered to in the rules was meant for stocks that use a barrel block to support the barrel and action. In the case of Gene's rig, the stock AND the forend support both. Sort of a backwards approach to doing the same thing a "conventional" stock does that supports the action only.

In my view, it wouldn't be in the spirit of competition to call anyone on something like this, especially after the person has had it "blessed" prior to using it.

In my view, it wouldn't be in the spirit of competition to call anyone on something like this, especially after the person has had it "blessed" prior to using it.

Well that's the part that's got me a liddle pissy........... EVERYONE agrees that "you'll probably get away with it until you shoot a record"....... well WTH???

I'm not trying to "get away with" ANYthing here, but I'm certainly not the sort to just throw advantages out the window either. I don't particularly shoot so good but I can tell you this, that whole "It Ain't The Bow, It's The Indian" thing is a total CROCK! :):)

If the equipment ain't right you might as well STAY HOME ....... with the equipment working it's a long hard road.

And BTST I absolutely expect to shoot with Gentlemen, folks who'll gladly loan you their own well tuned equipment, or beat you with yours.

al

Another interesting issue

is the idea of clamping a fulcrum on a barrel that SHOULD decrease accuracy by conventional wisdom. If conventional wisdom deems it a hinderance, What's the problem? So much for the whole idea of a barrel being better because it is stiffer and then there is the issue of FREE FLOATING! Great stuff, ain't it? :D

Blessed??

The only ones that can "bless" something is the Board of Directors, in a formal meeting. I know of no such meeting taking place.......jackie

It aint Nuthin

The only ones that can "bless" something is the Board of Directors, in a formal meeting. I know of no such meeting taking place.......jackie

I have no dog in this fight so it realy doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The HBR rules pretty clearly exclude it or I would be a whole lot more interested.

Last edited:
Reply... See my other thread

For the sake of added discussion on this topic, I have brought a thread back to the top that I started earlier this year regarding the same topic. I hope this will bring more enlightenment to the subject.

Sincerely,
Larry

For the sake of added discussion on this topic, I have brought a thread back to the top that I started earlier this year regarding the same topic. I hope this will bring more enlightenment to the subject.

Sincerely,
Larry

Thanxabillion Larry,

I hadn't seen the other one

al

Back