HBR cartridge

P

Peter

I'm thinking the simplest way to do this is just necking up 6.5 Lapua?, but I have to ask: is there a cartridge that just squeeks under the wire with regard to case volume?

Yes

I'm thinking the simplest way to do this is just necking up 6.5 Lapua?, but I have to ask: is there a cartridge that just squeeks under the wire with regard to case volume?

among others, the 30x44 based on 300 savage case. my suggestion is to go with the necked up 6.5x47 case or you can get a reamer cut to 30x45 or 46, use a 30BR FL die to push the shoulders back, neck expand then fireform. This is not a bad way to go if you like a lot of case prep work. Good luck.

I've got a few of the new 30 Remington AR cases here and they look like they'd be a slick way to go for a no muss, no fuss HBR case. Rim dia. is .473,the back end of the case measures about .501 with a .488-.489 shoulder. It's 1.530 long. The capacity on these (fired in a Remington R15) is right at 45.0...maybe a bit more if I hold my tongue just right. They look like a mini version of a 284W necked to .30 Dies would be simple and with a properly dimensioned reamer, this might be a sweet setup.

The 6.5X47L necked to .30 is about as simple as it gets...though the case is just enough bigger than the min. spec. to move out of the H4198/N130 powders and into the H322/N133/N135 powder burn rates with the 112-125's.

Good shootin'. -Al

I gotta say

My 30-284-1.650" is the most accurate HBR chambering I have owned to date. I found magic with 4197 Scott with mine but it also shoots H-4198 and Re-7. Finding cases that don't take 9 steps to make would be a very big plus.

The origional thinking for the short 30-284 was to replicate the paramaters of the PPC case in an HBR chambering. I was fixing to have a reamer made up for mine but will wait to look at these new cases.

Back