Hawkeye supernova upgrade...question

alinwa

oft dis'd member
Hawkeye wants a chunka' change for their "Supernova" upgrade.... is it worth the money or is their another way? Xenon bulb or something?

Al, I did an upgrade for brighter light (much better), but it was just a bulb change, Xenon, I think. An inexpensive Wal-mart upgrade for the mini Maglite.

theres a bunch of upgrades to the mini mag- thats what I like about that setup. wayne- im almost afraid to ask how you are breaking mirrors? short of looking into a 350chevy i cant see how.

I can tell you, way back a long time ago, I used a flush system with water soluble oil. Even running a paper towel into the chamber before poking the scope in, some of that light oil always creeps back. It's that oil that made the mirror flake off. It's not all gone, but about 1/3 is. Jerry Stiller once said he might make a stainless replacement mirror since those are so fragile, but I don't think he ever did.

I recently received a mailing from Gradient Lens Corporation. In it they described a Shooting Edition Hawkeye borescope.

"This version features upgraded optics and a new mirror technology that protects the mirror from the harsh chemicals we routinely shove down the barrel of our firearms."

I could not find details on their web site.

DougF

Another posible option

Al I looked on Amazon for the mini mag LED up grade and found something better, maybe, lots of reviews.
Terra Lux TLE-5EX MINI STAR 2, extreme LED upgrade for mini mag aa, 140 lumen.
Centerfire

Some of the guys at work got the LED flashlights.
Be VERY careful around rotating objects. If the speeds match you may think the rotation has stopped........Fans mostly. :rolleyes:

I got a $16 or so mini mag LED kit from Home Depot that boosted the light at least 200%. Can even take photos, just need a small tube to keep the camera aligned with the eyepiece and a steady hand.

Al I looked on Amazon for the mini mag LED up grade and found something better, maybe, lots of reviews.
Terra Lux TLE-5EX MINI STAR 2, extreme LED upgrade for mini mag aa, 140 lumen.
Centerfire

After you posted this I ordered up a couple of these upgrades. I am very pleased with the improvement it made in my hawkeye. I would say it is at least twice, maybe three times as bright but the other major improvement is it is a very clean white light. The original bulb had a yellow hue to it. I can tell you ya don't want to look directly at it or you'll be seeing spots for awhile.

Yeah, well I bought the LED upgrade at one of the local camping stores down here. Made a BIG difference, as the light is now bright white instead of a yellowy colour.
Cost AUD $16.00

Yeah, well I bought the LED upgrade at one of the local camping stores down here. Made a BIG difference, as the light is now bright white instead of a yellowy colour.
Cost AUD $16.00

Dude you see yellow. Oh, my I must be color blind. Or something close..........
In the LED it's a little blue/white. Am I seeing this ok?
Original Mini-mag white.......Maybe that's why I can't see the carbon..........It's another shade of blue.

I can tell you, way back a long time ago, I used a flush system with water soluble oil. Even running a paper towel into the chamber before poking the scope in, some of that light oil always creeps back. It's that oil that made the mirror flake off. It's not all gone, but about 1/3 is. Jerry Stiller once said he might make a stainless replacement mirror since those are so fragile, but I don't think he ever did.

I had to replace my right angle mirror unit, about $90.

Back