Having your rear bag move is really hard on tracking.

Boyd, You ave nailed the design

Pete,
Here is the top of my portable bench. Notice the design. You can sit directly behind the rifle.

This is what I had envisioned as being the right design, providing room for one's elbow once they are positioned behind the rifle - - - - NICE

I would consider reducing the angle that touches one's belly on though

Last edited:
Pete,
Thanks for the compliment. Actually, with a portable bench, touching it with your belly, or the side of your chest is a bad idea. It tends to shake the bench. The whole point of the design is to be able to sit behind the rifle, and not touch the bench with the front or side of my chest. If you are referring to the long angled part on the right side at the back of the bench, I agree, but as I said this is a working prototype. Sitting behind the rifle, with my shoulders fairly square to the line of the barrel, all that the right side of the bench does is support my right arm, while I adjust my windage and elevation with the top and rear leg of the rest. One hitch that I have run into is that when I move my arm on the bench, the cross hairs move on the target. I can be steady and they will be still, but because the shift is somewhat unpredictable, it makes aiming more time consuming. On the other hand, if I loosen up the side tension on my windage top, and put two hands on the rifle, making sure not to pull down on the forend, I can make the final correction with my hands. For sighting in, and varmint work this is OK, but for playing with my bench rifles, I would like to solve the problem, and have a couple of ideas on how to do this that I will try. The last time I shot off of it, I tried a test group, aiming and shooting not touching either the bench or the rifle,except for the trigger, and the results were excellent, but this would be too fatiguing to do all the time.
Boyd

Benches, in general:

It is very difficult to make a bench stable. Even some concrete benches are shaky! I have always found it nearly imposable to shoot without leaning on the bench to some degree. Your top is a great idea. Perhaps a way to take the shake out of your bench is to bind it down somehow; perhaps with one of those augurs they sell to tether animals or if you are shooting off a floor, a fastener in the floor to pull against. I have not tried either of these but both may be worth a try.

Boyd

I have or had the same problem.
I use the sticky sand paper.
For concrete benches I use 40-60 grit.
I just peel and stick it to the bottom of the bag and no more problem.

Pretty sure the NBRSA allows the Dunrud spacer - I forget as time slips. Good as any, and better than most is the sand ring Francis mentioned.

And I took apart an old pair of my CHIPPEWA BOOTS made in the U.S.A. turned em rough side out, and glued it to my bag bottom. It don't move any worth talking about. But then again, that was real leather...

I just got a report back on the sanding screen (150 grit) from a friend that has a concrete bench top that he mistakenly ground smoother than it probably should be. He has an Edgewood gator bag that he had noticed would slide around sometimes on the bench. With two sheets of the screen butted end to end between the bottom of the bag and the bench (to cover the length of the gator), the bag stayed put. It worked perfectly. I think that the general availability of this material will make it an easy upgrade for many shooters with the same problem. This weekend is full of non shooting activity, and the forecast is for rain, so sometime early next week, I should know if it solves my problem. If any of you try this, let us know how it works for you.

Last edited:
I just got a report back on the sanding screen (150 grit) from a friend that has a concrete bench top that he mistakenly ground smoother than it probably should be. He has an Edgewood gator bag that he had noticed would slide around sometimes on the bench. With two sheets of the screen butted end to end between the bottom of the bag and the bench (to cover the length of the gator), the bag stayed put. It worked perfectly. I think that the general availability of this material will make it an easy upgrade for many shooters with the same problem. This weekend is full of non shooting activity, and the forecast is for rain, so sometime early next week, I should know if it solves my problem. If any of you try this, let us know how it works for you.

How does it handle Concave and more importantly large Convex surfaces?

Y'all are missing the best solution. I use this stuff.

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Spray-Mount-Repositionable-Adhesive-102-oz/product_130831

Spray it on the bottom of your bag - last all day, even several days. Basically it is like the adhesive used on post-it notes, only in a spray can.

A word of warning....do not confuse the spray can of "Spraymount" with your spray can of silicone to spray on the top of the bags..........it causes quite a bit of verticle stringing.....don't ask me how I know.

I personally feel that it is a decision on how you adjust your shooting stool to the height of do you keep your man tits under the bench or on top of the bench. If you’re a size double “A” then on top should work but a double “D” try under the bench. Or check your local Victoria Secret for a “Manbro” that may help.

sorry I couldn't help myself, the voices told me to say this.:confused:

Then there is the dark side of this issue, sneaking out, in the middle of the night and spraying all the benches, except the ones that you will be rotating to with teflon or silicone spray.;)

Scott I worked with that spray and its counterpart for many years back in the 80's. There used to be a big build up problem. Do you find that to be an issue?
Do you still make the windicator? I bought one from you years ago and need some more.

There is a little buildup with spray-mount but a once over with a wire brush every so often seems to do the trick.

A side note....when my daughters were shooting position air rifles a few years ago I would spray their jeans where the elbow contact area was for kneeling position. A ref saw me get the can out and stopped me. They gathered around and after a few moments pointed to a rule that said "nothing could be attached to the clothing." So I said "no problem", turned around and sprayed her elbow instead. They stood with their mouths dropped and then walked away mumbling.

As far as Windicators...i don't make them anymore, just not enough interest from either end.

I use the water trick (or spit in a pinch) to make the feet and bags stick. Best thing I've found for the stock is Turtle Wax -- smear on a thin coat, let it turn pasty-white and buff, just like your car. Wax-on-Wax-off and it rides bags better than any tape I've tried. Between yardages is enough.

Rod

spit on the bench ????

I sure hope that I don't follow you ever!!!!! I would hate to follow you or anybody that is spitting on a bench top !!!!

I always thought that glue or any kind of sticky stuff was illegal to use to stick a bag to the bench top --- everything else, rubber, sandpaper, water etc. was OK as long as it wasn't sticky

However having said that sticky stuff was illegal I can't find in the rule book where it says that??? Does anybody know where that is in the rule book?? Or is it legal now to stick a bag to the bench top???

In the rules, it says that rests, front and rear, may not be attached to each other, the rifle, or the bench, so it would seem to come down to how the word attached is interpreted. I would guess that if the bag is slapped onto a vertical surface, and does not move until pried loose, that it may have surpassed sticky and arrived at attached ;-)

Last edited:
Back