Have Gun -Will Travel

Those were the days.

On Saturday night, my grandmother would make popcorn & slice an apple & we'd enjoy Gunsmoke & Paladin for 1/2 hr each. It was great being 5 yrs old.
Regards, Ron

farmboy

Also one of mine,and it reminds me of how much things have changed over the years-good and bad-Stan-share your sport:)

Black & White TV Still the Best

I remember Paladin, Have Gun Will Travel, played by Richard Boone back in the 50's. Seemed he would take a contract anywhere from San Francisco all the way to Alabama.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

And for the GOOD BAD Guy to wear BLACK........OMG :eek::eek::eek:......Now who remembers the song ? Paladin oh Paladin...etc etc my voice is not so good :eek:

Last edited:
Have gun will travel

Ahh yes before the days of anti gun crap"'
I remember them well''

Have Gun Will Travel

Not that I am a fan or anything, but I think I remember watching it on Wednesday nights here in Texas as a kid. My wife bought me DVD collection of all the Have Gun Will Travel episodes. I always thought that it had good writing and I can't tell you how many good actors played or got their start on that series(Angie Dickenson, Charles Bronson, Neimiah Persoff,Jack Lord,Janice Rule,Strother Martin,Harold J. Stone,Mike Conners,John Dehner,Jack Albertson,Denver Pyle,June Lockhart,Stuart Whitman,Andrew Duggan,Lana Wood,Jeanette Nolan, Dan Blocker,Kam Tong,Pernell Roberts,James Olsen,and John Carridine to name a few.) :D

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Paladin

The songwriter and singer of Paladin is Johnny Western He is currently a DJ on KFDI Wichita, Ks

Larry Sivils

What I want to know is how the kid with the rifle could have missed all three shots. Paladins tactics were horrid. He'd ride up on anyone and goad them into shooting at him. They'd miss and then he'd kill them. If he'd ever gone against anyone who practiced with a rifle he would have been dead (except for the intervention of the script writers).

I watched the series when I was in Jr high and high school. It ran a long time. I got the impression over the years that the script writers changed Paladin from a skilled but mostly conscientious killer into a justice blind mercenary who cared mostly about getting paid. It seemed to me (as in this episode) that Paladin was too quick to take the word of the people who hired him and that he set up a lot of his targets to lose "fair" fights. Sometimes he would become convinced that his target was innocent and turned on the people who hired him, but it wasn't from doing research before he dove in. Toward the end of the series I remember thinking that either the shows producer or the script writers were purposely trying to make the show anti-gun by weakening Paladins sense of justice and morality. Maybe it was just my attitudes which were changing. I was target shooting by then and though Paladin was awfully quit to shoot and ask questions later. I still though it was entertaining and that Richard Boone did a good job playing the part.

There have been many similar characters since then who cant be shot, can't miss, and leave a trail of bodies which no one seem to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved paladin, used to listen to gunsmoke on the radio on sat nite with my dad. This was before tv.

I can remember watching the Lone Ranger and Cisco Kid on a round 8 inch screened early model TV at an uncles home before we got our first TV, an Admiral with a huge screen for those days.

Manys the hours I spent watching Circus Boy and the Captain Gallant stories.

Paladin was a family favorite and I bought my little brother a Paladin gun belt with the Knight on the cross strap, real leather to . and not just painted split cowhide.
I later got a Bat Masterson set for him, with the cane gun and a deringer hidden in the buckle.

In years past some forums I've visited have had threads on toyguns we remember from Christmases long past. One of the first things I began to look for on the Net was info on the old toyguns.
I had my eye on several at a local knick knack store several years ago, real oldies priced so cheap the store owner must have had no idea of their collector value. I had just decided to buy the best I'd seen the following monday when the roof of the building the store occupied collapsed under a heavy blanket of snow. Global Warming had struck again.

Last night...

My wife & I were driving last night with the XM radio on the "old radio channel", X121 I think. There was an of the old radio episode of Paladin on. Great listening! Paladin saved the little boy and the indians - and nobody was shot! A nice Christmas story.

Back then we had entertainers - today we have celebrities. The difference is in who is important - certainly not the audience today.

Regards, Ron

You can go on "fancast.com" and watch Paladin episodes till your eyes fall out. Also Perry Mason.

I love watching these old shows on the western channel, I like peering in to the better days of years past!

It was intrigueing to watch Paladin turn his body sideways when the other guy shot first, ( to give them a smaller target), and when he was turning sideways is when he'd pull the hammer back, then face him and shoot all in one motion.
Yup, the good ole' days. We got a bunch of old guys in this thread !

Back