Have Gun -Will Travel

It was intrigueing to watch Paladin turn his body sideways when the other guy shot first, ( to give them a smaller target), and when he was turning sideways is when he'd pull the hammer back, then face him and shoot all in one motion.
Yup, the good ole' days. We got a bunch of old guys in this thread !

Yea, but you are our leader.

ENCORE WESTERN channel is having a Paladin marathon this weekend! I have the DVR set.

Did you guys know many years back the TV rights to reruns was locked up in court? For years it looked like the man in black was gone forever.

I just hope they have every episode on this weekend.

I still have one of my Paladin cap guns from my childhood. wish I had the holster.

Just think what it would be worth if you had the BOX too ! Speaking of boxes, I bought a new 3x9 Redfield widefield somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's, and not knowing any better, lost track of the box. Now I wish I had it.

Glenn.......

Funny you should mention Wanted: Dead or Alive......I found the season one dvd set in my stocking this Xmas. Let the good times roll !!

I still remember high school in OKC.....at about 10pm each night...for awhile. We'd stop in a parking lot, across the street from a drive-in theatre. At about 10:05pm THE car chase scene from "Bullitt" would begin. Must have done that a dozen times.

"Never So Few" is another favorite, with Steve.

Good memories...all.

Kevin

Kevin I'm real jealous:p. this thread has brought up some fond memories of growing up in the Montana backwoods. :) I would love to have quality working replicas of these fine guns, however, I'm still saving to have the only quality custom rifle built that I'll be able to afford. The memories are priceless

Wyatt

I just tuned into "Encore westerns" on Charter cable, its a premium channel, and found they are having a Have Gun will travel marathon.

The episode with the Camel is on right now.

I'll be up for awhile , and I'm erasing as many DVR'ed movies as I can to record as many episodes as possible for later viewing.
Man I love this DVR.

Theres nothing "outdated" about the old westerns.
I was watching "the Man who Shot Liberty valance" today, and the Duke faked Lee Van Cleef out in a manner that Jackie Chan would admire. When Van Cleef drew suddenly his gun was in the Duke's hand and coming down on his head.

A friend bought himself a Henery trapper model with Ring lever, it was supposed to be for his wife but we no how that can go.
I've fired his other Henry a brass framed .22. these are excellent little rifles, I may have to buy one soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been enjoying reading this thread. So many of those old westerns were great, and as often as not there was a "firearm" gimmick, that for me as a young gun nut, was as important as any other aspect of the show. I've been about 8 years without a TV. I just recently bought one. 2 weeks ago I found a DVD in the $5 bin at Walmart. The first season of "Wanted Dead Or Alive", which as a young kid, was one of my favorites. I was totally bummed though to see that, although Josh Randall's (Steve McQueen's) Mare's Leg, (a tastefully cut down 1892 Win) was fed from his ammo belt, with what looks like 45-70 fodder. I watched all 18 episodes, and there was enough gun play to see him eject spent cartridges, they looked like 44-40s---Man all that romance ruined by firearms inaccuracy. Keep them in the black, Charles

The "Mare's Leg" cutdown Winchesters may have been inspired by similar cutdown Winchesters used in a mass prison break by an Outlaw gang.
I forget the Outlaws name offhand, but I think Bruce Dern played him in a movie about the break, though the cutdown Winchesters were not used in the film.
An article I read about the incident later on told of how the Outlaw's girlfriend couldn't get ahold of any handguns to hide in a ditch the chain gang would be digging up later, so she took several winchester rifles the Gang had stashed to a friend of theirs who was a fairly good gunsmith, he cut down the barrels and stocks so the guns could be easily hidden out.

This turned out in the escapees favor during the escape, even with cut down barrels they had the range advantage over the handguns and shotguns carried by the guards. The guards had to pull back to wait for riflemen to back them up, and that delayed pursuit.

PS
I remember hearing a line in the previews of a film.
A younger bad guy tells an older man "you've been watching too many old Westerns", the older man replied "well son you know that don't exactly work out in your favor".:)

Back