Gun Shipping Costs....

If it will fit in the USPS 'Priority Mail' flat rate box, that's a good way to go. Fast, inexpensive, trackable. Figure $15 for the postage and the box is provided by them too. As to "best way", there is none. UPS, FedEx, etc. You pay your money and take your chance. I've shipped LOTS of long guns by UPS and FedEx. Never a problem.

If it will fit in the USPS 'Priority Mail' flat rate box, that's a good way to go. Fast, inexpensive, trackable. Figure $15 for the postage and the box is provided by them too. As to "best way", there is none. UPS, FedEx, etc. You pay your money and take your chance. I've shipped LOTS of long guns by UPS and FedEx. Never a problem.

An individual cannot ship a pistol via USPS, it is illegal. Only a FFL can ship pistol via postal service. Google BATF and take a look at FAQ's for individuals and it will explain shipping procedures at that site.

I do not have an FFL but use USPS for shipping long guns, which is legal, and have never had a problem using them.

drover

NOT TRACKABLE....
deliver confrimation only....yes you can see some destinations..but not all and they have no idea where the package actually is..
had one sit in denver for 29 days...no one knew where it was.

no tlike ups....
mike in co

I believe you need to check this. An individual can ship a pistol to an FFL.

I am making the assumption that the poster is an unlicensed individual since the question was asked on the forum.

From BATF site - FAQ's unlicensed persons, please note the last sentance.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

drover

An individual cannot ship a pistol via USPS, it is illegal. Only a FFL can ship pistol via postal service.

Your assumption is that the pistol isn't being shipped to an FFL. My assumption is that the firearm is indeed going to an FFL.

an individulal CANNOT ship a PISTOL vis usps.....no matter who its going to.
an individual can ship a long gun via usps.

Your assumption is that the pistol isn't being shipped to an FFL. My assumption is that the firearm is indeed going to an FFL.

Being a handgun silhouette shooter, I have been through this many times. An individual cannot legally ship a handgun through the USPS. Long guns YES, Handguns NO!! UPS requires Next Day Air shipment(expensive) of handguns. Shipping "precision parts", etc. is risky, as if you ever have those "precision parts" lost, and have to file a claim, you are screwed. You can get a local FFL to mail your handgun through the USPS, and he will have to fill out a form at the post office.
Melvin

Don't ship to this FFL by Fedex

Use Fedex.

Fedex left three Kelby actions at my gate at the road....

They destroyed two complete rifles that were very well packed. It took 13 months and a law suit to get settlement.

UPS is not much better on settlements for damages. Don't buy their insurance, it is unregulated(self insured). I have a binder policy with my business insurance to cover shipping. It is expensive but it pays as they are regulated and a third party without intrest. I love it when they sue UPS for me their client. UPS learned the hard way, I had a claim and they refused responsability for the damages, at a jury trial and considerable expense the jury found for us the plantiff. In the damages phase UPS tried to settle and we declined and asked for the juries punative settlement. With legal expenses, court cost and their legal expenses it was six figures. In our settlement we got a consent agreement that they would agree to arbetration(sp) and settlement with in 30 days of any future claim or it would automaticly go to another jury trial. They got bit by that snake once and don't want any part of it.
Nat Lambeth

Back