Gun Case

T

Twud

I have two hard sided gun cases that despite the airlines are still in good shape. I've been using 1 for toting around my new 6BR. The problem is that It will only fit in the bed of the truck, which is fine unless you want to stop somewhere on your way and back to the range.
I carry my other varmint rifles in softcases in the cab, muzzle down and butt leaning against the console.
The biggest soft case I own won't handle the BR. Sinclair sells a Boyt that they say will handle the biggest gun, but they want $100 for it.
Any suggestions on an alternative.
Mark

Old Blanket ? If it's not fully zipped,tied snapped,velcroed etc. in Minnesota it's not legalaly cased,and must therefore go in the rearmost part of the vehicle or be broken down. Your state may be more Freindly tho.

You mean to tell me that you can't hang rifles in pickup window racks???

That's just sick.

friggin' democrats

al

That is the

dilema I am in.

I have been looking and looking for a reasonably priced guncase that will be about 42-44 inches long max. It will fit the 36" Dewey and and still be able to fit behind the seat of my Ford Ranger.

Calvin

Window Mount

You mean to tell me that you can't hang rifles in pickup window racks???

That's just sick.

friggin' democrats

al

Why would you want to hang your rifle in the window? It's an invitation to theives to steal it. If you're going to to be traveling, the best place is on the floor in the back seat as it can't be seen.

Truck

Gotta' full size Ram and I am in the market for a new truck. I hate to do it but I'm gonna' buy a Tundra. I'm tired of dumping money into Fords, Dodges and Chevys. At 88M miles I've put $5,000 into repairs in the Ram.
Man, that would be enough for another custom rifle.

A good friend of mine told me that the cheapest hard side case is better than the best soft case and I believe he was right.

I have considered removing and reinstalling my tuner on my 22 bench gun just so it will go into a 48" case that will fit in the rear of my Tahoe.

I am with Al. I miss the days when I hung my rifle to the rack in the back window of my pickup. The police out here in West Texas still won't bother you but I worry about some of the democratic voters and other forms of low life.

Concho Bill

Last edited:
I use a hardcase in an open pickup bed too. For security, if I want to stop at a restaurant or store on the way home from the range, I chain everything down. I use a large Pelican case that I've converted for use as a range box - holds rest, bags, spotting scope and tripod, ammo, towels, muffs, etc. It gets chained down too, as does the MTM box I use for cleaning supplies.

My pickup beds get a set of eye bolts installed for lashing cargo down. I use them as an anchor point for the chain as well. Actually make a loop around rifle case, going through handle, and then through the handles of the other boxes. Use a TSA type combination lock to secure the whole she-bang. Think I used 3/16" chain, but lighter would work fine too. Coated wire cable might work as well.

About the only things not secured are the stool and bucket I use for targets and stapler. I can even chain the under-bed box I use for the windflags.

While this setup might not foil a determined and well equiped thief, it should take care of the grab and go guys. I'm comfortable leaving it unattended in most any public place for an hour or so.

Take a look at the Air Glide from Plano. It loads from the top, has lots of room, and has foam blocks and velcro straps to hold the rifle. It is molded plastic, and has 3 latches and a place for a padlock. At less than $30, they're a bargain.

-Dave-:)

Ya know I think I saw a seatcover style case that held 3-4 guns in a truck parts catalogue not long ago. Went on like the top half of a seatcover with snapped or velcroed enclosers behind the seat,don't think it would be too tough for a local apolstery shop to make up(use a hudson bay style blanket etc.)

Mark, try the Kolpin 'Deluxe Soft Armor Gun Boot 52'

The biggest soft case I own won't handle the BR. Sinclair sells a Boyt that they say will handle the biggest gun, but they want $100 for it.
Any suggestions on an alternative.
Mark

I have two, and use them to hold 30" barreled Palma and Any/Any rifles, no problem!

I bought mine from Natchez Shooters Supply for about $40 a couple of years back, but shop around for your best deal. Here's what the case looks like: http://www.kolpin-outdoors.com/products/deluxe_boot.html

Twud

how valuable is your gun? Doskocil offers one 51 1/2" X 13" inside dimension, made from hard plastic which will hold two guns. I have two aluminum hard bodies one 47 1/2" X 12" and another 52" X 12", both have combo locks. I do not know the cost because the Doskcil and 52" aluminum were gifts and the other one I bought with my bench gun.

A guy around here.......

that does boat covers, says w/the snap-down covers, (that snap around the bed & tailgate), that MOST people, aren't even curious as to whats underneath. Now, I know that won't do, its just a passing observation. There is also the kind of hard tonneau cover that locks on each of the rear corners, rather than the center knob at the rear, which would only be ONE lock to defeat.
But, I think most shooters probably wouldn't be interested in something that "expensive".

Hmmm...

...I worry about some of the democratic voters and other forms of low life.

Let's see, Bill. Am I understanding you to say that Democrats are low life?? Or, as Alinwa says, "friggin Democrats."

You guys are going against the grain of the USA. The times, they are a- changing!

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is one

around 42" in length it would fit easily into the toolbox of my Ford Ranger. The tool box is 46 inches wide a case 42" would fit a bench gun with a 22" barrel.

Lock it up and it is out of site.

Calvin

Old Blanket ? If it's not fully zipped,tied snapped,velcroed etc. in Minnesota it's not legalaly cased,and must therefore go in the rearmost part of the vehicle or be broken down. Your state may be more Freindly tho.

Minnesota has had a cased gun law in effect since at least 1967 when I started working there. It's not a Democrat or Republican issue. It's partly to discourage poaching and partly a safety issue.

Back