Grizz Lathe Choice

I'm narrowing down my Lathe selection trying to make a final choice. If was to purchase a Grizz it would be one of these. What would be your choice between these two Grizz units and why? Sorry for beating this subject to death, but I really appreciate the input.

Thanks
Justin

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/562
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/561
The gunsmith model has a couple of features that are nice. One is the outboard spider on the spindle and the other is roller bearings on the steady rest. I don't get all moist over the roller bearings simply because I don't use a steady rest once every two years.

I have the 13x40 toolroom lathe and love it. I built my own spider but run with the gear cover off so I have easy access to the spider. I think the 16x40 may be a tad long through the headstock for crowning short barrels through the headstock so you may be pushed into using the steady rest. I've never regretted buying the toolroom model for a second.

Ultimately you're going to have to make the decision, not us. They're both fine lathes but almost everything will lack in some area. While one lathe may serve my needs admirably the next gunsmith will do work that I pass on and he will have slightly different needs.

Shiraz the President of Grizzly likely knows more about Grizzly lathes than anyone on this board, and could have any one of the Grizzly lathes. When it came time to pick a lathe for his personal use he chose the G0509G gunsmith lathe. That says a lot to me.

James

I also looked at that one, but it's more than I'm willing to spend at this time. Right now I'm really leaning towards a Grizz Lathe. A client of mine that will be hunting moose with me this fall, recently sent me his custom 300WSM rifle for field verification out to 700 yards at elevations up to 9500'. The gun shot great but there were some feeding problems with the hand loaded ammo that came with the rifle. Today I spoke with the gun maker whom also has a Grizz Lathe that he purchased new in 2000 for $4,500 and he had nothing but great things to say about the Lathe and the fact that it has performed flawlessly over the past 8 years.

Grizzly chambering DVD..

huntinco,

You may want to watch this video. It explains some things about using the 509G lathe - that make it uniqiue.

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/DVD-Chambering-A-Championship-Match-Barrel/H8396

:)

OBTW, just curious as to why your client wants to shoot a Moose at 700yds when it is pretty easy to get within 200yds of it...no biggie.

Or is he shooting Mountain Goats as well..

The next best Lathe I'd look at would be http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/products/16-X-40-Electronic-Variable-Speed-Lathe/G0670
If money was no object.

Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Moose hunter is also hunting Elk and Mule deer in goat country!. The hunter is no spring chicken any more that is why the gun must be set up for such range.
Justin

I agree with everything MColeman posted except the setup. It's quite a job to put the lathe on the base, you need a decent lifting point and gear. It took me several hours to put mine together, but, it's not difficult with the right tools and preparation, so be prepared. Nylon straps, comealongs etc.

I've had a G4003G for a month now, and have chambered 6 rifles, and have my 7th in the chuck. It took me a long time to get it, but I really like it, and as mentioned, the president of Grizzly makes a personal effort to meet the needs of gunsmiths through customer service, even though it is probably a small part of his business.

Ben

I agree with everything MColeman posted except the setup. It's quite a job to put the lathe on the base, you need a decent lifting point and gear. It took me several hours to put mine together, but, it's not difficult with the right tools and preparation, so be prepared. Nylon straps, comealongs etc.

I've had a G4003G for a month now, and have chambered 6 rifles, and have my 7th in the chuck. It took me a long time to get it, but I really like it, and as mentioned, the president of Grizzly makes a personal effort to meet the needs of gunsmiths through customer service, even though it is probably a small part of his business.

Ben
Ben, my lathe came already mounted on the stand. I must admit I was not thinking of that step.

Ok....I was assuming...

My lathe came with the spider..but..I also run with the gear cover off for easier access to the spider whilst indicating.

I like to use two allen wrenches at the same time.

I have one of the larger gunsmith lathes in the shop and have used it for a few months. I would suggest trying one out if you can and speak with the owner. In my opinion it is a $3000 quality lathe with a $7000 price tag. It does seem to be ridged and it does have good bearings. Just because is comes with a outboard spider doesnt make a lathe a "gunsmith" lathe.

I dont have any others, but have ran a slug of diffrent ones. the older Grizzly that my father in law has is better than this new one. I belive its an older tool room version made in tiwan. ??

This one is actually a friends that is using the shop until his is built. When he leaves it will be replaced with a hardinge with a 1.25" spindle bore...

Lathe Ordered

Well, right wrong or otherwise, I ordered my Grizzly G4003G yesterday. I am a little disappointed, they said they're expecting a shipment 8-29-08, and it would ship 3-5 days after that. So much for using it through the summer. Oh well it'll give me something to do this winter.

JKM

Holy @$%&!!!

Got a call this afternoon, my lathe is in Wa., and will be delivered next week. Way better than September. I have never had anything in my life show up early . Looking forward to getting it, but still have a lot of work to do to get ready. I hope to have at least 1 barrel done this year. I have to hand it to Grizzly, I must say I was a little disappointed to have to wait 3 mo., but they pulled through. Thanks Shiraz Balolia wherever you are can't wat to get going.

JKM

G4003g

I've had mine now for 3 months and am fairly satisfied with it. Financially this was the best I could do so I'm happy. Only concern I have was the supposedly vertical adjustment of the tailstock. The manual stated that one should get .006 vertical movement when torquing it down. The best I got was .002 and its still .002 too high. Not sure how to address that problem.

.002 Too High......

I've had mine now for 3 months and am fairly satisfied with it. Financially this was the best I could do so I'm happy. Only concern I have was the supposedly vertical adjustment of the tailstock. The manual stated that one should get .006 vertical movement when torquing it down. The best I got was .002 and its still .002 too high. Not sure how to address that problem.

Your tailstock is too high over what length of a test bar? Sorry I can't offer any help, I have never even operated a lathe. I was in the same boat as far finances, I hope I made the best possible choice short of buying something used, and then potentially have to make some repairs that I may or may not know how to do.

JKM

Back