Gritter's chambering video

pushing our understandings

Folks I just want to thank all of those who have shared their methods and experiences. Thank you. The information is extremely valuable and offers people the opportunity to see and understand different ideas and findings. In some cases it supports current methods and in some cases it offers points that we might not have considered. Excellent thread....

That's exactly what it is! People trying to prove Gordy wrong, or to prove their methods are better, or that they are a better machinist..
I didn't see this thread as that at all. I saw the discussion as being among gentlemen who have considerable barrel fitting experience. I've read it as discussing methods and pointing out the pros and cons of each method. In my situation I respect Gordys opinion and I hope he respects mine and I sincerely feel he does.

I think there are many people new to benchrest barrel fitting that have gained better insite with this discussion. I hope so anyway. How we get better at what we do is not all by trial and error, much of it is brought on by the exchange of ideas.

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I do not take offense easily to much of anything. I know people all have opinions based on their past experiences, and that sometimes when something new is presented it can be a little hard to understand or accept a new concept without some questions, and I'm fine with that. That is one nice thing about these forums, when these questions are raised others can benefit by "pushing their understandings" at the same time, like Joe Ponto pointed out.

One thing I do want to comment on is the concept where some of you apparently think that barrels can have "immediate curves" or veer suddenly off in different directions. All the curvature I've ever seen and measured in a barrel is extremely slight and always extremely gradual - nothing sudden about it. Normally never over about .035" over the whole length of the barrel. When you dial one end of a bore to run true, you have to go several inches up the bore before you start to measure the curvature beginning - the more curvature in a particular bore, the quicker you can start to see this happening . However, if the bore has a fair amount of curvature, and you have it dialed in to not account for this curvature, the curvature right ahead of the throat can show up very quickly and make it seem like there is a sudden change. But this is caused by the chamber not being in alignment to the bore at that point.

I am thoroughly aware that the curvature in a bore is not always a "straight" curvature, but almost always has somewhat of compound feature to it like I mentioned in an earlier post. This is so gradual and so slight, that I've never found it to be any problem at all, and rarely mention it to people when trying to explain this concept since it just causes more confusion than it needs to. When I index the muzzle end in the "up" position, it shoots just a little higher every time like I want it to.

Butch, I'm not sure why you are thinking the reamer is starting at an angle - it's not. Maybe because it's being lined up to the bore and not to the outside of the barrel, which aren't usually aligned to each other. The reamer is being pushed straight by a lathe center on a perfectly dialed-in lathe - it has to run straight. Plus it is being fed into dialed-in bore that has been bored true to the lathe, and the bore ahead of that for the next couple inches is also dialed-in to be aligned straight. Everything at that end is aligned straight and true to the lathe - nothing crooked about any of it.

Just please test this like I mentioned in yesterdays post and hopefully you will see what I'm talking about.

Back to you guys.....:)

Gordy

Gordy,
The problem that I have with the internet is people like me have trouble expressing ourselves properly. The other thing is our emotions may come out in a way not intended. Whether I agree with you or not, the video was as good as any that I have seen on the subject.
Butch

If the chamber is concentric to the bore and the chamber is on center with the muzzle. How do it get better than that? I know this may be way to simple, that's probably cause I'm just simple minded.

I will also add that the barrel and receiver threads are concentric to the bore.

I guess I'm missing something here?:confused:

Big Al, I don't think any of us disagree with what you are saying. We just have different ways that we think that is best to achieve it. I have my own reasons for doing it a little bit different than Gordy, but I will not state that he is wrong.
I just do it differently than he does. Is that what you are asking? I am just a country boy also.
Butch

What I should have written was, what does it matter what you do, to get to the same place we all want to go?:confused:

While I admit to be one of the guys that set and read what others do and wonder why they go the long way around to do a job that is fairly simple and straight forward.

I just don't think that the guys that throw a lot more money in tooling are wrong. I just figure they have some special circumstance to overcome.

Heck we are all human, and deserve a little freedom (until the next election anyway). To pick and choose, how we do a job, is one of them. Just because I think the other guy is doing something different, that's a waste of time, You got to keep in mind, it's his time.

I'm did not write this with Butch in mind, I wrote addressing everybody.:)

gordy sir

i have to say a few weeks ago i was pondering ,just getting to the vital area in front of the chamber without pre cutting some metal away just to get to the throat to measure with my test indicator,i was told by stick you had a dvd showing a new centering method, when i heard of it and now that i have seen the dvd , that is the best way i have seen yet to measure anywhere in the bore before even taking a cut on it it sure cured my problems.i dont think anybody say they can even reasonably measure a spot 4 or 5 inches into the bore before cutting via any other method.also makes for a nice bushing holder to check the fit 4-5 inches in as well your vidio helped me and i thank you for that sir. and great thread as well good ideas are a flowin. tim in tx

Last edited by a moderator:
Range Rod

Mr. Gritters, How long is the range rod you are using and where did you acquire it?
Thanks for all the good information you have shared here.

Joe Duke

Joe
I'm not Gordy but I would guess that he is on his way to the shot show.
Since I got this information from Gordy I'll pass it along.

Gordy makes his own rods using 12" long drill rod.
I use three different size drill rod for the three main ID of reamer bushings -13/64", 15/64" and 17/64" if I remember right.

I had some brass rod on hand so that is what I used to make mine and they turned out very well. I drilled and tapped the end of the rod to use a 6x32 screw to hold the bushing on the rod.
I fitted the bushing by turning a little at a time and trial fitting the bushing on the rod until it just slipped on and rotated freely when well lubed.
If you don't want to make your own you might try contacting Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge. I know Gordy discussed having him make some.
James

best you can do

hi guy's
i do not see a pissing comp here. what i do see is a lot of
good gunsmiths and machinest's trying to make the best chamber/barreling
job that they can. and in that you are all united.
i have found that this is a very well informed thread.:D:D

regards ted

Could a PTG indicator rod be modified for this task?

Was thinking about grinding one down with a tool post bench grinder, behind the pilot?

I think the standard PTG indicator rod would be too short.
If you are going to turn down the PTG indicator rod, why not just make your own indicator rod out of drill rod like Gordy does?
James

I think the standard PTG indicator rod would be too short.
If you are going to turn down the PTG indicator rod, why not just make your own indicator rod out of drill rod like Gordy does?
James

I would not mind making making one, but drill rod can be tough to machine.

I just don't understand why you need to reach up into the barrel 10 inches. I watched the video, and Gordy seems to indicate, the significant part of the barrel, to align the chamber to, is the first 6 inches?

bnhpr,

It ain't about REACHING 10" into the bore it's about having enough shaft OUTSIDE of the bore for flex and for taking readings. I've actually considered making them 16" long, thinking that 12 was so short that the rod may have some resistance loading......

This range rod application more than paid for the vid IMO, O'l Gord's a perty fart smeller yeahhhh........yup. And from Ioway no less......a state where most of the folks have been sold to believe you can make gas from corn :D:D:D

(I spent 17yrs in Min'desoda Gordy so you'll have to excuse me ;) )

bnhpr,

It ain't about REACHING 10" into the bore it's about having enough shaft OUTSIDE of the bore for flex and for taking readings. I've actually considered making them 16" long, thinking that 12 was so short that the rod may have some resistance loading......

This range rod application more than paid for the vid IMO, O'l Gord's a perty fart smeller yeahhhh........yup. And from Ioway no less......a state where most of the folks have been sold to believe you can make gas from corn :D:D:D

(I spent 17yrs in Min'desoda Gordy so you'll have to excuse me ;) )

Ok, that makes sense. Any tips on making the rods, dimensions or pics?

No, not from me as I haven't made one. I hope though that someone does post on it as it isn't as easy as it would seem without a toolpost grinder.

For us newbies :)

al

Back