Green Lasers to line up flags

R

ron collins

Does anyone have any experience with the use of these green lasers to help line up range flags. Do they work and what power do you need to put a dot at 200 yds

Yes, I own

Does anyone have any experience with the use of these green lasers to help line up range flags. Do they work and what power do you need to put a dot at 200 yds

one and have been the driving force for at least 3 others being purchased. The only consideration at 200 yards is how ffresh your batteries are. Mine will get to 200 for about 1/2 the year and then I need to change the batteries. Best way to buy the 3-volt Lithiums is by the dozen from Sure-Fire. Best price out there

Very interesting..........

David: I think you mentioned them when you were here in Raton, but we did not discuss the subject. Where do you get them, and how, exactly do you use them?
Bryan

Bought it off

David: I think you mentioned them when you were here in Raton, but we did not discuss the subject. Where do you get them, and how, exactly do you use them?
Bryan

EBAY. I have mounted mine on a base that also holds a 6X scope. the 2 are aligned to "X" at 100 yards most of the time. I turn on the laser, align it the bottom of the target at 100 yards and then go set targets. If I have to use it at 200 yards, I do the same. I have a card with crosshairs on it that fits on the top of my flagpoles that represtnts teh top of the flag. Align the dot w/ the "X" and you are golden.

I have been mulling the use of a laser to help align chronograph screens and since I got into benchrest was pondering their use for setting flags as well. Wasn't sure the laser would be bright enough to project that far.

David, could you be more specific about the laser you use,such as output power, configuration etc? Are they something that might be found at this website? http://www.calpaclasers.com/

Just go on ebay and search for "green laser", they're from $60 to $80 the last time I checked. They come with a Weaver style mount. They are easy to see at 100 yards at midday. At 200, the dot is about 4 inches in diameter, and it's best to have something white to find it with. Like David says, mount it with a scope and make them both hit the same spot at 100 yards. It's slicker than snot.

At night, the laser will be visible for miles. At over a mile, it will look like a very bright light if it hits you in the eyes. If you don't use it for setting flags, they are neat anyway.

Jim Carstensen

On/Off switch?

Do you guys leave the laser on continuously while setting flags? How do you prevent potential eye injury to other shooters who are not aware that you have a laser turned on?

Tink

Do you guys leave the laser on continuously while setting flags? How do you prevent potential eye injury to other shooters who are not aware that you have a laser turned on?

Tink

Tink,

We were using a green laser to align our flags at this years NBRSA Nationals in Arizona. I must have looked into that laser at least 3 dozen times at less than 100 yards during the week. While it is a bright light source, it is probably not much brighter than looking directly at a 150 watt light bulb. As a matter of fact between 100 and 200 yards I closed one eye and used to other one to look for the most intense portion of the beam to determine the exact center.

Anyhow, that is my personal experience, but for legal purposes I will caution everyone not to try this method of flag alignment!

Jim's was

Just go on ebay and search for "green laser", they're from $60 to $80 the last time I checked. They come with a Weaver style mount. They are easy to see at 100 yards at midday. At 200, the dot is about 4 inches in diameter, and it's best to have something white to find it with. Like David says, mount it with a scope and make them both hit the same spot at 100 yards. It's slicker than snot.

At night, the laser will be visible for miles. At over a mile, it will look like a very bright light if it hits you in the eyes. If you don't use it for setting flags, they are neat anyway.

Jim Carstensen

the first one I saw. Ordered mine Sunday nite after that match. To quote the Sage " slicker than Snot ".

Currently there are 1705 of them listed on E-bay. You want one that is intended as a sight, no a pointer pen. Beyond that, have fun

David, you're right, there are a lot of them. Guessing the best one would have an on/off switch as well as a pressure switch. They all seem to have <5mW output power. Looks like this could be fun putting a rig together. :)

Just...

be careful. Despite what some say, I would never, ever look at a green laser beam at any range, especially the short ranges we shoot at. Even though the power is low the possibility of retinal damage exists because the beam is coherent and concentrated. I value my eyesight way more than a few inches of flag mis-alignment...way more. Good luck!

LaserGlow

I bought the Galileo from these guys -- they have a great selection of even-higher-powered stuff too.

http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?galileo

The laser is awesome, but my mounts need work. Mounted it in a v-block which didn't work well -- it needs to have a scope sighter as part of the base.

Rod

Last edited:
galileo

what mounts could be used to have it on a small tripod or what would you suggest,

I can just see 1500 lasers being bought for Christmas

Jeff

1 1/2 leg laser

What I use for a laser only weighs 260 lbs has 1 1/2 legs and a mouth that can't stop . Put you're money into barrels, bullets and powder. Next you will pay someone to pull the trigger for you.

What I use for a laser only weighs 260 lbs has 1 1/2 legs and a mouth that can't stop . Put you're money into barrels, bullets and powder. Next you will pay someone to pull the trigger for you.

And you don't have to buy batteries! But most of the time you're the one doing the footwork, he's sittin on his a**!

Not for the eyes......

but in Europe since the mid to late 60s, and here, w/pro sports teams for the last 30yrs, the "cold laser" has been used w/success on many conditions such as:neuropathy; carpal tunnel; sore muscles, ligaments, tendons; wounds; hematomas, and, through the generation of collagen, wrinkle eradication or moderation, definitely cosmetically positive. And, being cutting edge, the wondrous FDA has finally approved it for use here 2-4yrs ago. Well, I hope this will help others, since we're all feelin' Father Time hanging around, right??

hey

Homo Breeden

1 1/2 leg laser

Homo Breeden

Lover Boy Shaw

And you don't have to buy batteries! But most of the time you're the one doing the footwork, he's sittin on his a**!

I resemble these comments :eek:

Last edited:
on a more serious note

if you look into the sun or a laser and it leaves an after image it IS DAMAGING YOUR EYES

maybe that is why I type terriblely and spell even woise

jefferson

Back