Green Lasers to line up flags

I agree with David.
And so do several people that I shoot with.
I tried the cheap $50 off flea bay. Could not find batteries local. And when I ordered them. They did not work.
So a friend had a Veridian laser for his Glock.
WOW. What a laser.
I mounted mine next to an old scope to see the dot. And line it up.

I had an idea for using lasers to set up flags about 5 years ago and posted on it because I could not find a laser that would work.
Nobody really responded to that until a couple of years later someone figured it out an IMd me.
However at that time I was not shooting and didnt bother with it.

When I started again I saw several people using it and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread for setting flags.

However that was before I was hit in the eye down range at about 50 yards.
It momentarily blinded me.
If you think about it there have been federal charges filed against people for shining these things into planes and various other things.
To say that they are not dangerous is irresponsible at best. Read the warning labels.

I think its only a matter of time that when you play with fire you get burned and I think there are some dark times ahead for us some day with the sue happy nation we have become.

They also make

I heard thru the grapevine that someone also makes Walkie-Talkies..... But when your at the range by yourself the laser is awesome. I have a green one myself that has NO problem getting to 200 yrds...

There is one other thing that you can do. When you get your flags set at 100 & 200 take you a can of day glow spray paint that us construction guys use to mark streets or grass or walls. Spray the grass under your flagg. It will stay longer than you think. And each time you go back to the range just re-spray it. Even when they mow the grass it will still be there. The only thing you have to worry about is the height and that is not to hard to do....

Just my penny's worth from Texas where you sweat B-4 you set your first flag

Your right about the sweating thing Doug.
I used to use the walkie talkies but now I just use a cell phone.:D

I saw Jackie Schmidt using a 300 foot surveyors tape at the Bluebonnet.
I got online and found one at ebay for less than $30.
Wont help me with the height but it will work fine for the 100.
For 200 you just have to set the 100 and then walk out to 200 line up with what you already have and work back to the bench.

I had an idea for using lasers to set up flags about 5 years ago and posted on it because I could not find a laser that would work.
Nobody really responded to that until a couple of years later someone figured it out an IMd me.
However at that time I was not shooting and didnt bother with it.

When I started again I saw several people using it and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread for setting flags.

However that was before I was hit in the eye down range at about 50 yards.
It momentarily blinded me.
If you think about it there have been federal charges filed against people for shining these things into planes and various other things.
To say that they are not dangerous is irresponsible at best. Read the warning labels.

I think its only a matter of time that when you play with fire you get burned and I think there are some dark times ahead for us some day with the sue happy nation we have become.

Vern. You should have been wearing your safety glasses.

Laser Flag Alignment

I have experience in using a lasers to align flags, several in this area use lasers. The lasers modules needs to have a significant output and a smaller beam dispersion than the less expencive lasers to insure optimum use at 100 and 200yards in a bright sunny day. Lower powered lasers and/or a laser with higher light dispersion will not be seen on bright sunny days or a black target frame back.

By mounting the laser on a base which can be adjusted vertically, you can walk the beam out from the bench to the target. The beam is visable at the bench on the target. It is best to set the furthest flag first and and work back to the closest flag to the bench, this wat you will not block the beam.

USE:

The laser assists in precisely aligning benchrest flags and other wind indicators for the IBS and NBRSA 100 and 200 yard shooters. Allowing a single person to accurately set the flags between the shooting bench and the target frame.

REMEMBER === VISIBLE LASER RADIATION
AVOID DIRECT EXPOSURE TO THE BEAM

Some shooters like the place the flags in a diagonal line a crossed the shooting lane. For an example, a right hand shooter can place the laserr module on the left side of the bench opposite from the shooters front rest, aiming the bean at the right side of the target. This alignment will allow the wind flags to be set a slight angle and all flags will be visible from the shooters position when at the bench.

Flag setting procedure.

1. Place the laser module on the bench.

2. Activate the switch on the laser pointed toward the target frame.

3. Raise the rear of the module so the green laser bean is visible on the ground near bench.

4. Using the adjustment to walk the laser beam toward the target. The beam can be adjusted horizontally by moving the module to the target area.

With the beam positioned on the target area, the flags can be set/adjusted to the shooters preference; the flags can be aligned so as they are vertically stacked and/or on a diagonal between the bench and the target.

5. It is best to set the flags starting at the one nearest the target frame and working back to the bench. This allows the flags to be set with out blocking the beam during the setting process.

All,
I was at the range this AM and a friend had a red boresite laser and you could see it on the target at 200yds. What he did was put some silver reflective tape on his target, about 7'X7" and when the laser hits the reflective tape you can see it real good. I would think is you wanted to use a laser to line up your flags then hold a piece of reflective tape on the flag until you can see the laser and you are lined up. Also another guy had a green one and it worked good also.
John

That's good. It will protect your eyes from permanent damage.
I work on 8K CO2 lasers. With helium and argon added the light is REAL bright. Laser alone you will suffer permanent damage.

Last edited:
Back