Got PPC want 308 "tactical" or ??????

P

PaperSniper_

I have a really nice, accurate 6PPC Hall/Kreiger/Scoville built by Dwight Scott. However, I got tired of the case work, etc reloading so I really have not shot it much in the past few years.

I've been thinking lately about selling the 6ppc and getting a "tactical" rifle. I have several rifles, but they are all in the 223 to 22-250 and 22BR and 6mmBR category. My LT at the PD when I was a reserve PO recently gave me several hundred 308 cases. I have been interested in the 308 cartridge for some time, but never had a rifle in that caliber.

So, I've been thinking of something along these lines:

>Savage, Remington or ??? "tactical" 308 factory rifle
-or-
>Savage, Remington or ??? "custom" in 308. I think I prefer the top option because I don't want the added expense and hassle of finding stocks, barrels, etc, etc.

I do have some wants no matter which option: I don't like the less expensive synthetic stocks on the Savages, nor do I want a solid wood stock (laminantes ok), and I want a shortish barrel (20-22 would be very nice; 300 yds range). A nice trigger or the option of replacing the stock for a decent 2-4 lb pull. The rifle doesn't need to be "benchrest" quality, although I will shoot on the bench. I'd be quite happy with 1 MOA accuracy.

However.........does anyone know if the Hall D action can handle 308 pressures or if there are dimensional issues? My guess is it cannot, but I am a rookie at this, and much of what I knew 5 years ago I have forgotten. :eek: I just know that I paid a fortune for the PPC, and it's a very nice action.......if I could use that and build a 308 around it that might be fun.......but I'd really rather sell the PPC and get something else.

Gentlemen, you thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
put it in the clasifieds and remove this thread

or may be you will be uspended for a while
Jefferson

or may be you will be uspended for a while
Jefferson

What a great idea. But for some reason I cannot do that. I sent an email to the webmaster but not reply.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
PaperSniper,

Maybe I can help before you get attacked again! (dang guys, what's up with that?)

If you are looking at MOA accuracy and a rifle that you can get parts for then the 700 will be hard to beat. You can get more parts for them than I can list and a long line of Smith's to work on them for you. Remember you have to do your part in loading and shooting.

Don't tear your gun down to build a tactical rifle. First, you can sell it for much more than the factory rifle will cost. Second, if you did use your action and spend that money you will be sore when you look at a Stiller Tac 30 or a Surgeon. If you go the custom route you need to start from scratch.

Some of the sponsers and memebers here have a lot to offer you if you pick up a stock 700 SPS type rifle. Stocky's has a ton of tactical stocks including A5's. Badger and a couple of others make good bottom metal if you want a magazine. Tom over at X-treme Shooting builds a trigger you should consider. Some of the Smiths here (like Dave Tooley) have a lot of experience with Tac Guns too.

Another option is a high end factory gun. Sell the PPC, add some $$$ and buy a Sako TRG 22. They are money pits but you don't have to modify them. My two TRG's will shoot along side of my Custom Tactical Rifles.

If money and time are not an issue start from scratch. If money is no issue but you are in a hurry then buy a TRG. If money is an issue and you plan to Mod it later then the 700 is for you IMHO.

Hope that helps. Post a pic of that PPC so we can see!

Quote quote} Maybe i can help before you get attacked again

I second you , Tony

Another option you should consider is the FN SPR or PBR. CDNN Investments usually has great deals on complete rifles and actions. The Patrol can be had with 18,20,22, 0r 24 inch barrel. The action is a very strong control feed winchester. The last CDNN price was $599. there was a good article about this at 6mmBR.com - AccurateShooter.com Bulletin on June 26, 2009

Last edited:
PaperSniper,

If you are looking at MOA accuracy and a rifle that you can get parts for then the 700 will be hard to beat.................................

If money and time are not an issue start from scratch. If money is no issue but you are in a hurry then buy a TRG. If money is an issue and you plan to Mod it later then the 700 is for you IMHO.

Hope that helps. Post a pic of that PPC so we can see!

Thanks for the great post Tony. That really helps me get oriented with what I want to do. Yeah, the more I thought about tearing apart that PPC gun the less it appealed to me. It's such a nice rifle too.......I'm hoping I can sell it or maybe even trade it. Bob White was my first choice, but with him recuperating that might have to wait for awhile. Thanks for the names in your post also. I may go that route, but I'm hoping for a complete rifle that's close to what I want......once I figure out what that is! Mickey Coleman built me a 22BR a few years back so I have experience with that route. It did take some time, but I am not in that much of a hurry so that's okay.

Again, thank you for the thoughts.

.....FN SPR or PBR......

Thanks for that. I will look into them. I thought they were much more expensive, like in the $1000 area. But I haven't done much research on them, I will take a look at those today.

They normally are much more expensive. My SPR Cost me $999 on sale at a local gun shop. List price was about $1800. The cheapest I could find on the web was $1350. The PBRs have always been cheaper. They usually went for around $1000 like you said. CDNN has been having great deals on them for quite a while now. Either as an action, barrelled action, or whole rifle they are quite a bargain. I can honestly say my FN SPR is the most accurant factory rifle out of the box I have. Good luck in your quest.

I have been interested in the 308 cartridge for some time, but never had a rifle in that caliber.

So, I've been thinking of something along these lines:

>Savage, Remington or ??? "tactical" 308 factory rifle
-or-
>Savage, Remington or ??? "custom" in 308. I think I prefer the top option because I don't want the added expense and hassle of finding stocks, barrels, etc, etc.

However.........does anyone know if the Hall D action can handle 308 pressures or if there are dimensional issues?

Gentlemen, you thoughts?

After shooting a PPC, the .308 will beat you to death. Loaded properly and in a "tactical" setup this is no joke, the .308 will BOOT you around. Just something to consider, not fun IMO.

Savage and Rem are your only logical choices if you go with factory action. (A mistake IMO)

The Hall D will handle .308 pressures just fine.

hth

al

"....the .308 will beat you to death....."

You may be right! I'm been enamored with the 308 for along time, but have never shot one. Maybe I ought to find one to test fire at the range next time I'm out there!

My 72 lb. 9 year old shoots my Savage Tactical .308 with no complaints. We both love it.
Danny

Wow, I must be behind the times! I am just now teaching my 10 yr old grandson how to shot my old 22 single shot!:D

The .308 is truly a great round. But it does recoil something fierce when loaded to its potential, at least when compared to a PPC or any of the small 6's or .22's.

IMO :)

al

The .308 is truly a great round. But it does recoil something fierce when loaded to its potential, at least when compared to a PPC or any of the small 6's or .22's.

IMO :)

al

I suppose that's part of the game, eh? No pain, no gain? :cool:

tactical is between the EAR's, its not a piece of equipment!

:confused: What a complete tool answer. Im sure he appreciates the absolute waste of time and internet space that your response provided him. If you dont have a resonable response or at least a somewhat coherient suggestion, Keep it to yourself, Rant over. Just my $.02

That being said, I am really not a fan of the .308. I have used it in LRM school (Long Range Marksmanship, taught on Ft. Benning, GA by the AMU) in the M24 plarform and while deployed in the M21, M24, and M240B MG weapon systems. I have not been shooting near as long as most of you but im my "Vast knowledge of firearms and ballistics" (Sarcasm) I prefer the Remington M700. It is basicaly the Ruger 10/22 of the centerfire world. There are just about an infinite supply of aftermarket resources for it and that makes the rifle very appealing to me.

I have a Rem M700 Police in .300 WM and have had it bedded, trigger work and a muzzle break installed (It REALLY made a difference in felt recoil, but percieved recoil was increased significantly) . I coyote hunt it, deer hunt it, target shoot it, F class it and enter Tactical matches (200-1200 Yards). I absolutely love that rifle. I'd take it to bed if the wife would let me. But truth be told, it only marginally out shoots my buddies Savage 10FP (the tactical version) Until you pass the 300y mark. Its had the Tubbs final bore shine through it but thats it as far as mods. At 100y my best group to date is .19" with hand loads, his is .26 CTC. Its an awesome rifle.

My point is, If you want to try out a .308 win. There are inexpensive very High quality solutions out there that afford you the opportunity to use it and if you dont like it sell it at minimal loss.

Hope thats helps some,
PH SGT

Back