Good day at the Range

Since we are talking about bullet making, I have a question( a lot, to be honest..)

Will a to hard lead alloy prevent the core to fullfill the core forming die completely?

I ask because this is the situation with my last lead lot, who seems harder and more silver colored than previous lot.

That’s above my pay grade in the realm of bullet making. It would seem that a harder core would be more difficult to seat and fill the jacket completely.

I ordered my cores from Charlie Hood. He knows what he is doing.

I would be curious to know how many bullet makers are outsourcing their cores.

With a 7 ogive, and J4, you'll probably be able to make up to about a 123 Gr. and keep the lead-line back far enough to not break the point die.:eek: I used to make a fair number of 123GR. for a hand-full of Hunter Class shooters, when <125GR. was considered light!;) Those guys were looking for maximum BC on the short jacket . . . at the ranges we shoot, though the "hunting" is fun, it's pretty much a waste of time/resources - precision rules. Presuming a well tuned rifle, BC and velocity are, "lost in the noise" of one's doping ability.:eek:;) RG

How true.

While I have never done it, I have seen Dwayne Pullum win a 300 yard Claybreak shooting his 30BR and your 112’s.

In 100/200/300 VFS, all heavier bullets give you is a sore shoulder at the end of the day.

Check this

Used 6 percent ano shot like hell 63 gr made all cal for hunting gine good pent also made spitzer looked as goodsierra

I'm guessing here, but most lead wire will fill the jacket under pressure. That is, unless the antimony content is through the roof. I buy mine from Crown Metals in Milwaukee. They call it bullet wire, which is 99.25% lead and 0.75% antimony. I'm pretty sure Charlie uses the same. When I started making bullets, I used 99.9% lead but found the bullet wire to cut a hair cleaner. It swages and seats beautifully too. Couldn't really tell a difference on paper between the two however.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

This is a process I would love to learn and get into mainly for personal use. It's hard to find good bullets in Canada. I wonder if the lead wire is readily available here?

Back