Going out of business

Frank-NH

After years of producing the reticle used by IBS any many shooters for personal use, I believe the market has been saturated. Sales have been very slow for the past two years. Another production run of 75 reticle does not seem practical. I do have 3 remaining reticle for sale.

I wish to thank the nearly 300 shooters who have purchased in the past.
Thanks, Frank

As someone on the IBS records committee I want to say thank you. Your reticle has pretty much ended any differences of opinion on the committee. Again thanks.

Dave Tooley

Can I assume someone else makes and sells these scoring devices as well? What would a new club do in the future for scoring assuming none were available?

Use a Plug

Can I assume someone else makes and sells these scoring devices as well? What would a new club do in the future for scoring assuming none were available?

Like we should be doing anyway. The reticle changed score shooting from best edge to center to center. If you think a reticle is the only right way, simply stick a bullet in one the reticle has called out and usually the bullet will be tangent. Perhaps its OK to cheat everyone equally but not in my book it isn't.

Pete

Like we should be doing anyway. The reticle changed score shooting from best edge to center to center. If you think a reticle is the only right way, simply stick a bullet in one the reticle has called out and usually the bullet will be tangent. Perhaps its OK to cheat everyone equally but not in my book it isn't.

Pete

What does this reticle look like?

Pete

A plug isn't perfect either. I prefer the reticle. I've scored a bunch or targets and I feel there are fewer issues with the reticle.
Much more than this one example but a wet target is a big one.

Last edited:
If the plug

is so bad, why does the NRA still use it? Having scored a lot of targets I feel the plug results in fewer arguments brought about by the interpretations of where the reticle should be positioned on a shot.

Interesting discussion. I've scored about as many targets as anyone over the past fifteen years and I much prefer the reticle. The plugs are OK, but we've found that if one has a target that is very close and is plugged several times, the hole tends to enlarge. The reticle must be carefully centered and requires a judgement call now and then, but a consensus of referees usually comes up with agreement. Not sure where the "unfairness" comment comes from, but once one considers the source it tends to become clear. I'm confident the reticle will be produced by someone. I may even consider it myself.

Rick

Interesting discussion. I've scored about as many targets as anyone over the past fifteen years and I much prefer the reticle. The plugs are OK, but we've found that if one has a target that is very close and is plugged several times, the hole tends to enlarge. The reticle must be carefully centered and requires a judgement call now and then, but a consensus of referees usually comes up with agreement. Not sure where the "unfairness" comment comes from, but once one considers the source it tends to become clear. I'm confident the reticle will be produced by someone. I may even consider it myself.

Rick

I agree about the plug enlarging the hole. My limited experience with scoring at my club is that the plug can only be used once and has to be put in at the right angle or it can fudge the hole.

At one time in IBS, if the plug was inserted and you still weren’t positive about the outcome you had to call in the referees for a final ruling. The plug could not be removed and re-inserted.

Rick, Im going to take well up for Pete on this. Try pushing a fresh bullet back through a target. You will find it often goes tight and will
often touch the line or dot when the scoring thing fails to do so.

Back