Give the NBRSA Direstors and ranges some feedback on your favorite Nationals format!

you are not looking at the current rule book.

Revised edition no. #38 (january 2013) page 21

a. The national unlimited, heavy varmint, light varmint and sporter rifle championship

the course of fire for the national tournament will be as follows: Monday unlimited 100 yards, tuesday sporter and light varmint 100 yards, tuesday sporter and light varmint 100 yards, wednesday morning heavy varmint 100 yards, wednesday afternoon general membership meeting, thursday unlimited 200 yards, friday sporter and light varmint 200 yards and saturday heavy varmint 200 yards and it goes on.

This format was brought up at the midland nationals at the membership meeting and voted on and passed by the members that stayed to attend the membership meeting.

Being a director, i volunteered to have my name put in to have the sw shooters vote for me as i have a very strong comment to our sport and the shooters. With a lot of strong minded shooters in our sport it is difficult to make everyone happy. I feel we have to take the overall look at if something will make it better for the shooters, and to make a change, it may not work for everyone but it was for the overall shooters in the organization and if it works great, if it needs to be adjusted that may also needed to be looked at after the change has been in operation for more than one nationals.

This is why we have agenda items that shooters submit to their directors and then voted on at the board meeting by each director that has received what his shooters in his region wants, but each director only has one vote so if your region wanted "a" and it only received 3 votes for and 5 against its not your directors fault it did not pass.

Shooters you are all more than welcome to put your name in the hat to run for your region's director, you get good pay, medical and all the food you can eat with dessert being all the bull you can handle.

Tom libby
sw director

amen to that !

Tom - Thanks for not only being a director but also posting here with whatever you want to post. It looks good and is good...to say the least!

The comments about using the UL 100 or 200 to practice for the varmint classes is a good one. It would probably be a lot easier to tune your rifle at this time than trying to find a vacant bench before the nationals starts. At least this way you have an assigned set of benches even if you aren't shooting 10 shot groups in the UL. Lots of people do that. They shoot some tuning during the UL usually shooting 5 shot groups. I shot the IBS Nationals when it was at Holton. They started with UL and finished with UL. It wasn't any big deal doing it this way. But, they were shooting 5 groups instead of 8. I prefer the way it's done now to finishing with 8 ten shot groups on Saturday. Finishing with a light day helps get people farther down the road on Saturday if they head home. A full days shooting and you'll more than likely stay over and head home the next day.

Thanks Tom, for posting the rule for the format. I figured it was current with the ways it being done.

Well at first I did not like the new format. But must say it is growing on me.

There is one gripe that I do have. With the Nationals held so late in the year the days are getting shorter and practice time after the match is getting very limited. At Holton last year we had 20 mins after the Sporter and light 100 for practice. That is just not enough in my opinion.

Dale

Well at first I did not like the new format. But must say it is growing on me.

There is one gripe that I do have. With the Nationals held so late in the year the days are getting shorter and practice time after the match is getting very limited. At Holton last year we had 20 mins after the Sporter and light 100 for practice. That is just not enough in my opinion.

Dale

Dale,

that is why I suggested to shoot the UL matches with your rifle, it gives you all day plus what time left after the match to work on your load and practice. Not all locations and time zones have the same amount of day light, some more, some less.

Ps: you do know that when you practice its not the same condition as the match

Tom

Dale,

that is why I suggested to shoot the UL matches with your rifle, it gives you all day plus what time left after the match to work on your load and practice. Not all locations and time zones have the same amount of day light, some more, some less.

Ps: you do know that when you practice its not the same condition as the match

Tom

Tom~

I prefer to shoot my rail in UL. And yes I fully realize it is not the same condition. Sometimes you change scopes or barrels and need to zero in for the next day. Oh maybe I need to fireform brass. Don't forget sometimes I just plain ol need to work on how I set my bags up on a given bench. This is not test and tune time, but time to fix problems or be ready for the next morning.

Dale

Ps: Tom Thank you for being a Director and participating in this discussion.

Last edited:
I personally think the rotation schedule for both organizations are fine. Shoot all the 100 yards first and then the 200 yards. It gets very tiring setting flags nearly every day as we did with the old schedule. People who complain about this are not the ones who are bringing flags and setting them. I also believe you will not find a range that doesn't like current schedules better. It makes no sense whatsoever to rotate yardages back-and-forth like we did in the past. It's hard on the people who set flags and it's hard on the folks that are running the match to have to move the backers and target frames moved back-and-forth. - i I talked s couple of folks that run national events and they said if they were forced to go back to the old format they would not hold any more national Evens

When you get to the national meeting. I think you'll hear that The majority of the shooters are very happy with the rotation schedule.

Bart

I'm with you Bart, don't need no practice setting flags. A lot of us go for the whole show.

On another note, why doesn't NBRSA shoot five 10 shot groups in UL as IBS does? Marathon comes to mind. Just looking out for the old guys.......

Flame on boys.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
I'm with you Bart, don't need no practice setting flags. A lot of us go for the whole show.

On another note, why doesn't NBRSA shoot five 10 shot groups in UL as IBS does? Marathon comes to mind. Just looking out for the old guys.......

Flame on boys.

Later
Dave

Dave,

I personally took a survey over 4+ nationals when we shot Monday & Tuesday and after we finished with the UL the overall percentage of shooters said what are we doing and were willing at that time to change BUT ask this question several months after the Nations and most of them would tell you No lets keep it.

This comes to the issue of try a change in the format and see how it goes, then adjust if need be. This is one of the reasons that the split days for the UL came about and of course setting flags.

Tom Libby
SW Director

Hi Tom

I'm fine with the format we have now. I just was wondering what thought process was behind IBS with 5 ten shot and Nbrsa with 8 ten shot groups for an aggregate.

Later
Dave

Dave, I suppose the 8 ten shot groups is a product of when the time when The Unlimited Nationals was a entirely separate event.

It would not bother me one bit if the NBRSA adopted the 5 ten shot group Format for the Nationals.

Dave, I suppose the 8 ten shot groups is a product of when the time when The Unlimited Nationals was a entirely separate event.

It would not bother me one bit if the NBRSA adopted the 5 ten shot group Format for the Nationals.

How about we work toward some relief on the ten shot and start with a change to a warm up and five 10 shot matches.

Tom Libby
SW Director

How about we work toward some relief on the ten shot and start with a change to a warm up and five 10 shot matches.

Tom Libby
SW Director

Tom,

i quickly looked through the NBRSA board minutes from 1964 to 2009. it looks like the idea of moving to a 5 target, 10 shot format has been brought to the Board of Directors at least twice during that time. i have not looked at the minutes from any other year's meetings.

for those interested in reading, the link to the 1964-2009 minutes:
http://www.nbrsa.org/Minutes/minutes.pdf

from 2001:

NATIONAL BENCH REST SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION, INC.
ANNUAL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 15, 2001
The annual meeting of the NBRSA BOARD OF DIRECTORS was called to order by President Don Creach at 2:00 PM on Saturday, September 15, 2001, in the Grandview Room #105 of the Ramada Limited located in Wadsworth, Ohio.
In attendance were:
Don Creach, President
Pat Ferrell, Business Manager
Butch Fisher, Vice President
Perry Morton, Eastern Region Director
Gene Bukys, Gulf Coast Region Director
Chet Whitebread, Mid-Continent Region Director
Rich Griffin, Mississippi
Valley Region Director
Jerry Simison, North Central Region Director "Proxy"
Tom Dickson, Northwest Region Director "Proxy"
Wilbur Harris, Southeastern Region Director
Don Nielson, Southwestern Region Director "Proxy"
Don Powell, NBRSA International Representative

Griffin moved to change Unlimited National matches from eight "10-shot" matches to five "10-shot" matches for each yardage. Creach stated that, if approved by the Board, this change would need to be ratified by a majority of the members voting at next year's Unlimited Nationals. The motion died for lack of a second.

from 2003:

NATIONAL BENCH REST SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION, INC. ANNUAL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
October 4, 2003
The annual meeting of the NBRSA BOARD OF DIRECTORS was called to order by President Don Creach at 12:00 PM on Saturday, October 4, 2003, in Meeting Room #1014 of the Premier Inn located in Phoenix, Arizona. In attendance were:
Don Creach, President
Pat Ferrell, Business Manager
Bob Dodd, Vice President
Perry Morton, Eastern Region Director
Gene Bukys, Gulf Coast Region Director
Chet Whitebread, Mid-Continent Region Director
Bud Mundy, Mississippi Valley Region Director
Ron Miller, North Central Region Director
Tom Cole, Northeastern Region Director
Cody Haslett, Northwest Region Director
Wilbur Harris, Southeastern Region Director
Bob Dodd, Southwestern Region Director
Scott Hunter, Incoming Gulf Coast Region Director
Butch Fjoser, Incoming Mid-Continent Region Director
Jim Erickson, NBRSA Financial Office

Mellor moved to change the format for the Unlimited Nationals from eight 10-shot groups at each yardage to five 10-shot groups at each yardage. It was noted that, if approved by the Board, it would have to also be approved at next year’s General Membership Meeting. Harris seconded. The motion failed with a vote of 4 favoring (Miller, Cole, Harris, and Mellor) and 5 opposing (Morton, Bukys, Whitebread, Mundy, and Haslett).

Looks like it is time to try it again. I like the idea of a warmup match for the UNL only. With the new scheduling format, this gives us a warmup target for the 100 yard stage and then another warmup target when we first begin shooting at 200 yards.

Back