Gene Bukys' .099" group from WBC10

Chocolate Moose

Gene Bukys' .107" group from WBC10

... from yesterday, LV100. 2.74mm, or .107" :eek:

49.jpg

Sorry that I posted .099" in the heading. That is MOA... .107" i correct :eek:

Last edited:
Components

At last report, shooters figured out ways, totally within the rules of the WBC, and of course, within the laws of the Countries involved, to bring enough of their own powder to shoot.

The rules did not say you could not bring your powder into the Country, it just severley limited you on the amount.

Which brings me to a good point. Benchrest is a VERY equipment oriented endevour. Shooters compete, and qualify, with a specific set-up. Heck, shooters spend countless hours, dollars, and headache arriving at just thye right combination that will allow them to be competitive.

Only the ignorant would think they could just go into a totally foriegn enviroment, be forced to use components that they were not familiar with, and expect to be competitive. That would be ludicrous.

Don't give me that old crap of "good shooters can adapt". The only person who would believe that is someone who is totally ignorant of the requirements of Benchrest at the highest levels...........jackie

Last edited:
At last report, shooters figured out ways, totally within the rules of the WBC, and of course, within the laws of the Countries involved, to bring enough of their own powder to shoot.

The rules did not say you could not bring your powder into the Country, it just severley limited you on the amount.

Which brings me to a good point. Benchrest is a VERY equipment oriented endevour. Shooters compete, and qualify, with a specific set-up. Heck, shooters spend countless hours, dollars, and headache arriving at just thye right combination that will allow them to be competitive.

Only the ignorant would think they could just go into a totally foriegn enviroment, be forced to use components that they were not familiar with, and expect to be competitive. That would be ludicrous.

Don't give me that old crap of "good shooters can adapt". The only person who would believe that is someone who is totally ignorant of the requirements of Benchrest at the highest levels...........jackie

Jackie,
Maybe in centerfire.
At the rimfire BR World Championships in Italy last year I know of one good shooter who borrowed a gun, didn’t shoot it in practice, only in the match and never shot that brand of action before.
Didn’t use the pet ammo for the gun, just bought some at the range.
Yet he still won?

Maybe good rimfire shooters are just a little more adaptable than good centerfire shooters??

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
WBC Powder

Somewhere along the line it was stated, correctly or not, that the WBC members would all be shooting a common powder provided by the host.

A friend of mine who is with the powder maker ADI in Australia had taken the effort to obtain a sample of this powder, Somechem S335.

He charted the pressure/temperature data from that powder over the data of some of our common US benchrest powders. That Excel file is attached.

I had forwarded that data to Jim Kelbly who forwarded it to Wayne Campbell who in turn forwarded the data to the WBC members.

Whatever the rules are and whatever the international transport of powder is I have no knowledge or control. I had been under the impression they would have all used the same propellant.

Any top benchrest shooter should be able to take a winning quality barrel, a winning quality bullet and a winning quality powder and work up a potentially winning quality load should they not????

Attachments

• Somechem S335 V's AR2219 (H322), BM-2 (Benchmark), AR2206-H (H4895) & Viht N133.xls
    34 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Any top benchrest shooter should be able to take a winning quality barrel, a winning quality bullet and a winning quality powder and work up a potentially winning quality load should they not????

Within reason I agree. The problem would be in knowing what to change when the load went south. Also being forced to shoot a particular bullet when your barrel doesn't like it would be a big disadvantage. The barrels I've been shooting lately like some bullets while others shoot groups twice as big.

I disagree

The perameters of Competitive Benchrest have not changed. This game is still the most equipment dependent shooting discipline.

Jerry, I was not aiming that post at you, I was aiming it at those who are ignorant of the requirements of Benchrest, where shooters spend countless hours and dollars perfecting a specific combination. I will admitt that it does appear to be aimed at you because you made the inquiry as to the powder.

When this is all said and done, we will find out for sure just what components the shooters were using. But, I have a good feeling that Gene is shooting 683-03 133, his own bullet, a new Bartlien Gain Twist on that red Rifle with the Bat 3-lug.

I might be wrong, but I have been watching Gene get prepared for this event for some time. He leaves no stone unturned. When it come to dedication to detail, Gene is most dilegent..........jackie

The perameters of Competitive Benchrest have not changed. This game is still the most equipment dependent shooting discipline.
A world class shooter can use most any equipment as long as it is winning quality. I've seen Tony B go from Shilen to Krieger to Bartlin, to other barrels and won. He has combined March and Leupold scopes and won. He has, in recent times used several different bullet makers and won.

He has changed gunsmiths at least 3 times I know of and won. Same on powders and different lots within those powders. There are several other World Class shooters I could name that have done the same, use various top quality components, in various mixes and they win.

I believe that some went preloaded. So many complete loaded rounds would pass customs. Some pulled bullets and dumped powder and adjusted their load as we do it here. I do believe that the better shooters will find a way to make the other powder work.
Butch

Kevin

Gene has produced them for some friends, the same as I have produced some of mine for friends.

The "snubber" part of mine is actually a Rubber Marine Bearing that is tightly pressed over the aluminum body of the tuner. The bearing has a brass shell that supports the rubber. Gene"s has a rubber band, or ring, that is tightly compressed onto the tuner body.

There are a few differences in the thread, I use a 36TPI, I think Gene uses a 28. I use a double split with two smallpinch, or locking bolts.Gene has a single split on one side with a single pinch bolt.

Both tuners function the same way, just a different way to arrive at the same conclusion.........jackie

Back