g 709 grizzly lathe

Kris try cutting the 18 TPI thread without disengaging the leadscrew, just wind it back in reverse and take the next cut. See if that works.........Ian

Some imports have a metric pitch lead screw and will sync if you use the same number, like engaging on the #3 each time for example.

We can cut a 18 thread if the half nuts stay closed...thanks Ian. We used just number one on the thread dial when testing the cuts at 18 TPI - thanks for the suggestion Jerry. I am assuming either the diagram is incorrect for the change gears for a 18 TPI or we have the incorrect gear on the threading dial. I was hoping I could find out how grizzly solved this for others. The machine is very nice and I am not intending to speak ill of the machine or the company. They are working with my friend to try and resolve the issue (thanks Grizzly).

Kris

Kris

I was just cutting threads on the G0709 I received in Dec 2010. The chart on the machine is different than the chart in the manual. I went according to the manual at 32 tpi using both 1 & 3 and the threads turned out fine. The chart on the machine said to use 1 & 8. Looks like the wrong chart is on the machine. Until I get burned I'll just use the chart in the book.

Wayne

Last edited:
We can cut a 18 thread if the half nuts stay closed...thanks Ian. We used just number one on the thread dial when testing the cuts at 18 TPI - thanks for the suggestion Jerry. I am assuming either the diagram is incorrect for the change gears for a 18 TPI or we have the incorrect gear on the threading dial. I was hoping I could find out how grizzly solved this for others. The machine is very nice and I am not intending to speak ill of the machine or the company. They are working with my friend to try and resolve the issue (thanks Grizzly).

Kris

Kris, This means your change gears are correct, if the problem is mechanical it will be either the lead screw is metric or the incorrect gear on the threading dial.
The other thing that could be wrong is, as Wane points out below the chart on the machine or in the book may be misinforming you. If the chart in the book and on the machine both say the same thing then perhaps some one that has the same lathe that doesn't have the problem can post what there chart says for 18 TPI........if it is the same as your charts then my guess is it will be either of the mechanical problems...........Ian

Hopefully I just figured this out.

Question? Are you changing the number dial from 1 to 2 when you go from 16 to 18 threads? If you are then I haven"t figured anything out.

Wayne

Just realized that is all you change when going from 16 to 18 tpi. I'm awake now.

Last edited:
I had the same problem on a G4003G. The thread dial gear was wrong. Threads that were a multiple of 8 cut fine, all others were wiped out on the third pass.

Take the thread dial gear off and count the teath. I bet thats the issue.

wnrosco . It has 24 teeth same as lathe at grizzlys in Pa. that cuts 18 tpi just fine .

You may have to check every individual gear thats outside of the gear box to include the lead screw. There may be a gear with the wrong number of teeth on your machine.

I use the number 2 on my thread dial for all of the threads I cut. Threading on a lathe isnt hard, from what you've said, my money is still on a gear being wrong even if the thread dial gear is right. My lead screw is 16 TPI and the thread dial gear has 16 teeth BTW

Any update to this threading problem? How about other threads, such as the more commonly used threads such as 20tpi, 12 tpi? I was thinking about buying the g0709 and would like to see the results from Grizzly's customer service.

akajun, I am very unhappy with this situation. I never seem to get return phone calls when I leave messages and am told someone will call me back. I purchased this lathe in January and was told last Wednesday that I would have a return shipping label by Thursday afternoon, did not receive so I called Friday morning and was told that the person in charge of emailing would have it done by Friday afternoon and still have not received anything. So I called back Friday afternoon at 4 and was told again it would be taken care of Friday afternoon and still have not received the label. I will be calling them again tomorrow morning.

akajun, UPs picked it up to take it back 2day.Not sure what will happen .

I didnt know UPS handled stuff that big. When you return the lathe, do they cover the return shipping? THis is getting crucial to me know, I got the tax return in and now and with wifey approval my new machine is fully funded. I am however waiting to see how this plays out before I send my money.

akajun,

UPS has a LTL(less than truckload) service for big stuff.

When I developed a noise in my mill powerfeed, they had me send it to them. They sent me a rebuilt unit, and a couple weeks later I got a check in the mail for reimbursment for the shipping.

Jim

I have Chinese lathe that had a problem splitting threads. My half nut housing was placed in hte wrong holes. They were two option of where to set it and it was set in the wrong set of holes. Moved it and it now cuts as it should. You can't believe how much time it took to catch this problem. A friend had an idential lathe and he figured it out some time ago. He come over here and fixed mine quickly.

I erxperienced the wrong thread dial gear on a Chinese lathe first hand. This was before it was well publicized on the internet so it took me a while and a lot of head scratching to find the problem. The number of teeth on the thread dial gear should be an integral multiple of the thread pitch of the lead screw. Most of the Chinese lathes have 8 tpi lead screws so you need a 32 tooth thread dial gear. Mine came with a 30 tooth gear and exhibited symptoms similar to those you are experiencing.

I just got a letter from Griz stateing the chart on the lathe is wrong. They sent the new info on what numbers to use on the thread dial. This is for G0709 lathes.

Luckely, it has'nt bit me yet either.

This was a mass mailing I believe because I have'nt called them about a problem.

My lathe had a major problem in the headstock that Grizzly could not repair. After 3 months of going back and forth, finally tomorrow I will receive a new lathe from them to replace it. My fingers are crossed that it will work properly. I was very disappointed in the amount of time it took to get something done. The Grizzly quality control manager, Mike called and finally got things going in the right direction for me and within about a week he had all my issues resolved and I am very thankful to him.

If the machine is new, it should be supplied with both english, and metric gears.The owners manual, or chart on the machine will give correct order. That is a even number thread divisible by 2. You can close the half nut's at any number line on the dial. You don't have to go back to the same line each time.

Back