g 709 grizzly lathe

My lathe had a major problem in the headstock that Grizzly could not repair. After 3 months of going back and forth, finally tomorrow I will receive a new lathe from them to replace it. My fingers are crossed that it will work properly. I was very disappointed in the amount of time it took to get something done. The Grizzly quality control manager, Mike called and finally got things going in the right direction for me and within about a week he had all my issues resolved and I am very thankful to him.

Well lets hope for the best, and keep us updated on the new machine. Man that money is just burning a hole in my pocket.

If the machine is new, it should be supplied with both english, and metric gears.The owners manual, or chart on the machine will give correct order. That is a even number thread divisible by 2. You can close the half nut's at any number line on the dial. You don't have to go back to the same line each time.

Oddly enough, the even number rule does not apply to these Chinese lathes. The Chart on the machine specifies to engage on line 1 -8 for 16 TPI and to use 1 0r 3 only for 18 TPI. Then to further confuse the issue, the Manufacturer is sending out new plates which specify to use 1 or 5 only for 18 TPI. I have looked at the 709G and it appears to be solid and a heck of a lot nicer than my 10 year old Jet GHB1340. I have had no problems whatsoever with my Jet and have chambered around 100 or so barrels over the past 10 years with it. There seems to be a de-bugging process for the new models before the kinks are worked out.

Scott Roeder

Back