FX Smooth Twist barrels

P

pisces

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting an 0.22 FX rifle for shooting out to 75 yards but don't know much about Smooth Twist barrels.

Has anyone replaced a normally rifled barrel with an FX Smooth Twist ? If so, was there any benefit ?

Edit: maybe this question should be in the Factory/Hybrid section. If so, my apologies.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
A better question would be how many ST barrels were replaced with conventional ones:D
Dan

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting an 0.22 FX rifle for shooting out to 75 yards but don't know much about Smooth Twist barrels.

Has anyone replaced a normally rifled barrel with an FX Smooth Twist ? If so, was there any benefit ?

Edit: maybe this question should be in the Factory/Hybrid section. If so, my apologies.:eek:

FX400 w/LW Barrel from Factory

Shot a 250 at Holbrook (Al J.) can a ST on the same Gun(open class) do Better??? > If You looking for a 25X Good Luck.....Franky

ST. Barrels

At the Nationals in Phoenix paid for a .177 and .22 ST blanks. 8 months later got the .22 blank. Two months later still no .177 blanks and are no longer offered? Got a nice gun case instead.
My HV Class Thomas has a Dan Brown spec LW slow twist barrel that eats pellets from the tin. Has the Indoor record 750 69X and hope to do well at the World Benchrest Match in Austral this July.
My OPEN class Chip Smith SUMO has a Dan Brown Spec Keriger barrel that out shoots my two grove and three grove Benchmark barrels. Two years ago shot the first 750 outdoors.
Since then Mike Niksch's Thomas's have shot LV class 750's outdoors with a LW barrel.

Not sure about big boar but Tim with his 30 cal USFT won the Extreame Benchrest not with a ST barrel.

2011 a .20 cal Rapid won a 200 meter indoor group shoot in South Africa most likely a HW barrel?

While at AOA noticed the FX with a Dan Brown Super barrel that was going to be used at the Nationals!

Paul Bendix

regarding ST barrels for 75 yds

Hi,

--------------------

I took first place overall at the at the first Extreme 75yd event in Az. using my USFT with Benchmark .22, and won a nice .22 Gladiator FX rifle. I shot it a lot over the next year or so, and , after a few mods, its a great hunting gun. But, I'd say the accuracy at 50+ yards is not as good as other .22 barrels I use for bench shooting, including HW, LW, and Benchmark. I've only tested one other FX "smoothtwist", a .22 Independence, and it too was good enough for hunting, but not for paper target shooting.

Only two ST barrels tested is not definitive, but gives a clue. Plus, I was told Fredrick Axelson had brought around four or five select guns for use in the tourney, and they didn't beat MY gun.

The price of ST barrels is too much in my opinion. They are simply choked tubing. No drilling, reaming, or buttoning required to produce. Add in poor performance=lots of $ for AOA and poor value for the shooter.
Dan

Thanks guys for your findings. :)

I guess I'll be sticking with traditional rifled.

Dear All,

It is my first post and i would like to say hello.
I come from Poland and i excuse for my English :-D

My HV Class Thomas has a Dan Brown spec LW slow twist barrel that eats pellets from the tin.
I readed a lot of threads but i can't find information about twist rate. What is its value?
LW barrel twist rate from their official website is 1:17 (450mm).

Thank you for your reply.

regards
Tomasz :)

Twist rate

Dear All,

I readed a lot of threads but i can't find information about twist rate. What is its value?

regards
Tomasz
Mine is slower than 1 in 30" and also Polygon. Not sure what twist rate RAW's Polygon LW is?
Paul

It has been my understanding

that twist rate is determined by the length of the object to be shot, at least I believe that is the way it goes. If that is the case, it should be quite simple to figure out what twist rate to use for any given projectile, No?

This comes from shooting short bullets in a 30 Cal rifle. I have heard that some of those shooting light = short 30 cal bullets were using 19 and 20 twist barrels. I have used 18 twist successfully.

I'm pretty sure there is a formula somewhere for figuring out what twist rate should be right.

There has been plenty said about octagons and the like in the past. From what I have read and heard, some of them shoot and some don't,. I think I have gleaned that very few shoot well, but I could be wrong.

Pete

Dear All,

regards

A 1:17 twist means the projectile will make one 360 degree revolution in 17 inches. Faster twists (1:10 as example) cause the projectile to spin more rapidly.

Steve W.

Paul thanks for your answer.
Your barrel is really slow.

ST looks like polygon.
I haven't got yet experience with polygonal barrel.
lothar-walther barrel blanks for air gun

Paul one more question
This barrel what we talking about was made by Dan?

regards
Tomas's,
Dan Brown needed 10 barrels to have LW to make then at his spec's. Mike Niksch who makes the Thomas rifle had LW make barrels to his Specs that shoot 12 fpe to 30 +fpe with several different style and weight pellets.
My Dan Brown spec barrel only shoots HV class with Monsters great and I shoot Open Class and Unlimited at under 19 fpe with Monsters.
My LV Thomas has a 12 grove LW that shot an AA 8.4 from a lot from 2011 Great! Finding good pellets
Is now a challenge!
Paul

Dan Brown needed 10 barrels to have LW to make then at his spec's.
Now I understand. I didn't know that Lothar made a barrel according the spec's.

My LV Thomas has a 12 grove LW that shot an AA 8.4 from a lot from 2011 Great
How long is this barrel?

Is now a challenge!
Yes Paul, that's true.
I still fight with flyers :-D

Paul do you have maybe picture pellets that has been pushed through the barrels?

regards

Last edited:
Now I understand. I didn't know that Lothar made a barrel according the spec's.

How long is this barrel?

Yes Paul, that's true.
I still fight with flyers :-D

Paul do you have maybe picture pellets that has been pushed through the barrels?

regards

Tomasz,

I also have a Dan Brown barrel that came from the same order as Paul's came from. Mine loves both JSB 10.4's as well as the Monsters. I've decided to only shoot Monsters when Outdoors and the wind is blowing. The reason: I have a limited number of Monsters left from a Lot that was exceptional and don't want to waste them. Plus, where the 10.4's shoot every bit as well Indoors, and I've got thousands of those, so why waste the others.

I only shoot mine for HV as well. I tried it for LV, but the twist rate is too slow so there were tons of fliers because of shooting the lighter pellets.

My next venture will be to try some of the 16.3 Beasts to see how they do.

As for the length: they came through at around 24 inches so I left mine at almost full length other than for having Dan finish the crown, plus having him polish the chamber end when fitting it to the gun. I always figured either I'd cut it down later, or it would be best to have some extra if something came up. After all, once you've cut it shorter, that length is gone.

Paul runs his DB barrel on a Thomas, where I have mine on a Theoben. A year ago I had it fitted to a RAW, but decided to sell that gun so put it back onto the Theoben. It's so good, and so unique, that will never sell the barrel so long as I'm still shooting - meaning hopefully it will become part of my estate.

Good luck.

Dave Shattuck

Dave thanks for contact and answer about barrels.

I used JSB 10.4's but now i use JSB 8.4 with short barrel round 16 inch in LV class - 25m.
I'm satisfied on this.

Have a nice weekend :-D
reagrds

Back