Future of the Air Gun Bench Rest Games

The way I see it, is the inexpensive Air Rifle will no longer be competitive.

Fred, I believe you are quite right here but then I have never seen any competition with guns that enabled inexpensive anything to be competative. It is not the nature of Humans to be content with anything that won't win and to that end, seem willing to spend whatever they can or is necessary to make the guns better than all the others. Just the nature of competition I guess. It's only the cost of Pellets vs Ammo where I see any less expense. On the other hand, we are only spending the Nursing Home's money so is it better to have good guns or give it to the Nursing Home near the end?

Pete,
Just a thought to go along with your nursing home!

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather
To slide in sideway's totally worn out, shouting Holy S**T What a Ride!!!!

Pete

LD, you have some great thinking here and is most probably the one way to go to promote the game. It is a bit of a catch 22 situation as no portable bench is going to give you all your gun has to offer so it becomes a trade off hoping the shooter understands the problem and does not get discouraged.
Thanks for your constructive insight.

Pete, really like your style.
Just so you know you are not alone I have lost a wife or two getting to be 74, got a family that that is constantly wonderin' what the old fart is up to now, cause I just scare the living hell out of them weekly, a great shooting gun that I constantly screw with and a tube to test it in. A place in life where if it comes down to bass fishin', beans and hot dogs.......... or pellets.......the pellets will win every time.

just love it!
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank,

I think you could be right about portable benches not allowing one to get all possible out of their rig... but, I shoot at some concrete benches at the Wild River Club in Grants Pass, that still wobble too, and way more than I think I can get from the portable bench designs LD and I are working on.... so the shooter needs to be able to adjust to the situation.... if they plan on doing well when they travel about...

The portable bench will become like the front rest, barrel tuning, and all the rest of the "tweaking" that we do. And at that match, all the shooters will be shooting from portable benches too, so it works fine in my mind. The goal is to get more newbies involved. Now with open class, just about any air gun can join in the fun, as recently shown at the Arizona State BR match. We need to follow the game plan of that match director, Luis Ruiz!

Wayne Burns,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

Administrator,

You can call me as well, if you want some more of the history.. My guess is, mostly it's about older stuff that some folks can't let go of, and so sniping about new posts keeps happening.. Hopefully that's all done now, but who knows:).. email me for my phone # if you think you need to.

wayne.burns@naturalyards.com

Wayne Burns,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

For sure Wayne .... its pure fun to fiddle with yet another element, such as making a good 40 pound portable bench, even if I KNOW a good 500 pound concrete one is a little easier to shoot off. In the end, I still feel that when shooting outdoors, the most important cause of wider shots is missing a wind change, and bad shots can occasionally result in a half-inch or greater miss, but in my experience with light benches and simple front and rear rests, misses from unsteady aim are hard to pinpoint, and likely of smaller consequence than wind judging error. To me, its still really the fun factor of trying to use home-made gear to get decent results, with posting higher and higher scores not as high on my list.

While at the Az. match, I spoke with Fredric Axelson, owner of the FX airgun company about bench shooting in Sweden, and he told me they mostly shoot their guns off the bench "hand held", with no special rests at all. Now, its likely the game over there will eventually move to more sophisticated equipment as it "progresses", but only after it grows more. And so it is over here, in a way, as for now, I bet more shooters shot with informal support setups, and a good opportunity to bring in both non-benchrest shooters AND experienced power burner BR guys might be by including a more "open equipment" game plan.

See, its my feeling that perhaps encouraging use of light benches and simple rests will tend to help equalize the impact of high zoot guns and scopes, in effect leveling scores a little, which might be a good thing for growth of the shooter base.

Yes, its the opposite of my quest three years ago for better and better accuracy, because back , my interest was mostly just to see how tight I could get a gun to shoot at fifty yards, and now that i think I know that answer, I'm focusing more on match type shooting, and making it more fun for more airgunners.

Apropos of another competitive arena, when the North Carolina 1000 yard Benchrest Club began holding its matches at Camp Butner, we had to go to portable benches. The benches were designed & made in a machine shop. Per-each cost (for materials, labor was donated) was about $350. These benches give nothing up to the concrete benches, and in fact, are a little better than what we had been shooting on -- which admittedly needed a bit of repair. As a point of interest, 1,000 yard heavy guns can weigh up to 180 pounds.

Storage was handled by purchasing a trailer, so they are not disassembled after a match, and are also not subject to the whims of the weather. The cost was up there, esp. when you add in the trailer, but the result was perfect for a range that does not allow permanent benches. At least one year-long aggregate record was fired off these benches.

Back