For the car guys among us

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
There's a lot of car guys, ex-racers and hot rodders among us BR shooters. Thought some of you might be interested in my latest toy:

It's a '93 LX coupe 5.0 HO 5 speed with 12,000 original miles. At first glance, it appears pretty stock:

There's a hint of it being maybe a bit lower than stock, but no real dead giveaways:

Until you open the hood:

Modifications include the PowerDyne 6.0 lb. supercharger, improved fuel system, MAC equal length headers and complete high flow exhaust system, Steeda subframe connectors, springs, caster/chamber adjuster plates, front frame rail stiffener system, tubular rear control arms with urethane bushings, Hurst shifter and a few other changes. All the mods were done with the goal of keeping the car as stock looking as possible. It's a real sleeper. ;)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

VERRY NICE!!!
I miss my old Mustang, it was a 1982 and ran 9:90's natural, I never got a chance to give it the spray.
Have fun, and be safe.

I KNOW what I'd do with that car :) I've got lots of practice doing it in my Suburban....... There are three spots here in town where two lanes merge into one right after a light. Of course all the 'stang drivers veer into the right lane so they can blow by us plebes and get out front. Unless I'm at the front of my line with 496 cubes of torque spinning my towgear... my coffee cup's always up for a deep swig as I let them get just a taste of my passenger window before walking them off my back bumper....."weeds or brakes"..... some of them choose brakes.

lol

al

That's one beautiful clean engine! And I mean clean in the sense that it's not dirty. I bet you don't drive her in the winter. :cool:

i love a good post-4-eye fox body...i really do, I just hate that Ford was so cheap when it came to the 5.0 windsor block. the mexican ain't much better...and even an r-block still leaves a little to desire. But....i can't get past the looks, i LOVE a notch. I'm hoping that within the next year or so i can have a notch project going....still deciding between it and an early SN95...but, either way, it'll have an LSx in it for sure.

Nice looking Stang Al :) You gotta love that instant power response that a super charger gives you. If memory serves wasn't the coupe body style slightly lighter than the fastback and convertible? I used to have a 1969 Mach 1 428 CJ, we pulled that motor and installed a 427 side oiler with medium riser heads and matching twin 4 barrel intake. I got a lot of tickets with that car! :) LOL

Life changes

Al, hope this finds you in good health and spirits. I recently sold my 2004 Terminator Cobra (9.23 ET) for a sled more in tune with my age. Enter my long roof.
Malibu4.jpg

Car Guys

Nice sleeper Al, and I bet it sounds good too. I'm sure you NEED to step down on it now and then. Go for it!

Mort

I had not even noticed that...

This thread is nine years old; does Al still have that car?

The question is: does Al still have a driver's license? ;-)

I'm older, and wiser, now, but given such a machine I'm not sure which would win out: wisdom, or juvenile thrill-seeking... (perhaps both - I'm *wise* enough to maybe not get caught....

Nice ride Al,

GsT

The Mustang went to a notch back Fox body collector in Arizona.

I then 'retired' from Benchrest competition and returned to NHRA Drag Racing with this '68 Chevy II Stock Eliminator that ran in G/SA. It went to Texas when I 'retired' from active competition a little over a year ago.

APE8xB6l.jpg

For the past few years I've been working in a pals race car shop doing general race car prep, machining and dyno work in the private dyno facility he has there.

Working on the laptop to input changes to the CPU of a Holley EFI system on a SBC Super Stock engine we were testing:

z4qM4ddl.jpg

ycJWtRTl.jpg

It's a busy shop and there's always something to to do. This is my pal's Cobalt Competition Eliminator car that I crew on. We recently changed out the Liberty clutch less 5 speed to a Pro Trans...which involved not only mechanicals but also a lot of electronics.

x8BHUhGl.jpg

XXwFEHol.jpg

1xFtx8ul.jpg

Clutchless 5 speed out:

O52mBOIl.jpg

Pro Trans automatic in:

30SJ2uJl.jpg

After the recent sudden passing of one of our good pals, we brought his Super Stock car into the shop and just finished a complete bumper to bumper freshen up of it. I'm particularly satisfied with the rewiring and updates for the engine management system. It's improved the ease of access and the downloading of data after a run. It was a labor of love. Working on his race car so extensively made the healing process after his loss easier for us. Sounds corny and cliche' but it's true. I've been slated to drive it at a few events but the timing just hasn't felt right yet.

2jUuzi3l.jpg

5O4dj3Tl.jpg

I'm happy with how the rewiring and relocating of the engine management system turned out. I'm not really a 'wiring' guy other than from a functional standpoint but it turned out ok.

571WqVOl.jpg

For what it's worth..... -Al

Last edited:
Al, as you know, a RED HAMMER always improves function! :p You know that i'm not a car guy - but, do enjoy your posts and 'corny' expression of respect and admiration for your pals and peers. RG

Last edited:
I was a big muscle car guy in the 60s and 70s. Owned a 68 Competition Hemi Road Runner, a 69 Baldwin Motion Nova and a 69 Yenko Camaro. The 70s brought an LT-1 Z-28 into my garage and then marriage and family life stopped that until I started collecting mid-year Vettes in the 90s, culminating in getting my 67, all matching number, factory side pipe 435 HP 427, one of 19 made with the Aluminum Head option.

Bob

Al, as you know, a RED HAMMER always improves function! :p You know that i'm not a car guy - but, do enjoy your posts and 'corny' expression of respect and admiration for your palls and peers. RG
If all else fails, use a hammer. If that doesn't work use a bigger one. If you cant fix it with a hammer, you must have an electrical problem.

I have a good friend like that and it started early. I've seen a photo of him at 3yrs old standing by his pedal car with am huge hammer in his hand.

Back