Enough Talk

Gettin' there at the end of the day on 2/5 - ready to learn my lesson at Gene's convenience on Wednesday. Plane home (actually Nashville which is 150 miles easy from home) at five something Friday.

In lieu of contributions, a good cup of coffee, a kind word, and a little leeway when possible will suffice.

Gene - if something comes up try to give me time to call off the dogs. I got a room in Midland for Tuesday and Alamo agreed to rent me a car in spite of all those felony charges.

I know you live there so I wont give you the sad news concerning the scenery there abouts. What time of the year do tumbleweeds bloom?

Wilbur, I don't anticipate any problems unless the terrorists strike. I would suggest you stay in Odessa, it's much closer to the facility. I live in Odessa, although many associate me with Midland. Actually, Midland and Odessa are twin cities, twenty miles apart, much like Dallas and Ft Worth, just on a much smaller scale. Both are approximately 100,000 population and the Midland International Airport is halfway between them on I-20. It has always been said that the rich folks live in Midland, the roughnecks and other oifield trash live in Odessa. :p Does that tell you something about the way I grew up? :D

Looking forward to seeing you. If I'm not in jail, you can usually reach me on my cell phone at 432-631-5124.

Tumbleweeds? We got 'em! If we could figure out how to make diesel fuel out of them and mesquite bushes our energy problems would be over.

Later,,

Gene Beggs

Gene,
I traveled thru that area about 4 years ago to my son's wedding in Marfa. I told my wife to look around at the landscape and commented that if it were not for oil and gas there would not be a living soul in this area. I also noticed that what appeared to be a blue bag attached to each scrub plant. Walmat sacks are the state flower of western texas.......However I did spend a bunch of my early years in all of western Texas as I was the product of an oilfield worker. Lived in most all of the them. Odessa, Monahans, Midland, you name it, I been there. Don

West Texas is not expecially pretty this time of year
Gene, my wife lived in Midland for a couple of years. She said to tell you it ain't purdy any time of year. She recommends you move to Belton

I thought about it for a little bit...

I tried to picture Midland from memory and found that the whole trip has been either blocked, quarantined, or was in one of those folders that disappeared into the night. The purpose was to visualize how the area might change with the seasons. I mentioned the thought to my wife and she quickly replied - "Dust don't change much".

I wish we could all learn to get along better. Why does everyone get so cranky in the middle of Winter?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This has to be the coolest thread I've read in years;)

Gene,
I traveled thru that area about 4 years ago to my son's wedding in Marfa. I told my wife to look around at the landscape and commented that if it were not for oil and gas there would not be a living soul in this area. I also noticed that what appeared to be a blue bag attached to each scrub plant. Walmat sacks are the state flower of western texas.......However I did spend a bunch of my early years in all of western Texas as I was the product of an oilfield worker. Lived in most all of the them. Odessa, Monahans, Midland, you name it, I been there. Don

Don, it hasn't changed much. The early settlers were sheep and cattle ranchers. They were a tough, independent and resourceful lot. Then the oil and gas fields were discovered and that has fueled the economy ever since.

It's not a scenic wonderland, but it's home; plenty of wide open spaces, there's no place I would rather be. :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

I tried to picture Midland from memory and found that the whole trip has been either blocked, quarantined, or was in one of those folders that disappeared into the night. The purpose was to visualize how the area might change with the seasons. I mentioned the thought to my wife and she quickly replied - "Dust don't change much".

I've blocked much of that trip also. :eek: However, I remember that there was a dead cow carcass on the way to the range and every day we drove by it a little more had disappeared until the whole thing was gone at the end of the week. And of course, I saw my first and only armadillo in Midland.

I never knew you owned a Pitts. I'd bet it's a lot easier to talk the Mrs. into a new rifle these days;)
Bryan

Bryan, I believe my wife Beth is the only woman in the world that could have put up with me and my activities for the past forty years. God bless her, she never complains.

Yes, flying was my life, especially aerobatics and airshows. I would have never dreamed I would lose interest in it but I did. Sooner or later a guy realizes that he can't hang on to anything forever, and that in order to have the future, he must let go of the past. I'm having a ball with this extreme rifle accuracy game. Second only to flying, and a close second at that, this benchrest study is the most fascinating thing I ever got into.

Later,

GeneBeggs

Gene, my wife lived in Midland for a couple of years. She said to tell you it ain't purdy any time of year. She recommends you move to Belton

Charles, tell your wife she is right, but you see,, I've got this situation,,my sweetheart has never lived anywhere else but Odessa, Texas and she has made it clear more than once that she will not live anywhere else. When I went to work for Southwest Airlines, she said, "Well that's great; I hope YOU don't have to move." :rolleyes: I kid her about it but the truth is,,,, I feel the same way. :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

Odessa

Wilbur,
My old buddy, Gene, will treat you in so many ways You're
bound to like some of 'em....

Wilbur
I grew up about 50 miles south of Midland. There at two things to remember.
1 Squint you eyes to filter out the sand.
2 Lean into the wind
OBTW keep the wind to your back for one other activity :)

Jim Pollard

Arnold, It's too bad you can't tell them on the forum what you told the guys you flew in there several years ago. Something about hunting and Arnold told them what to hunt.
Butch

Gene, is there a picture of your tuner posted somewhere, along with a price?

Thanks
Dan Honert

Nasa

I won't bore you with the details but to make a long story short, the spin recovery procedure that I developed was incredibly simple and reliable, but radically different from that taught during the preceeding seventy years.

At first, I had a hard time convincing others that I really did know what I was talking about; most were reluctant to believe that an uneducated, redneck from West Texas could possibly know something that the FAA and NASA had not already discovered. :rolleyes: But when I know I'm right about something I am not easily dismissed. I am proud to say that today my Emergency Spin Recovery (ESR) is recognized the world over and is taught at the test pilot school at Edwards Air Force Base.
Gene Beggs

Gene,
I'm curious; what is this?
Chino69

??

Gene,
A couple of questions...

Is there something fundamentally different between rimfire vs centerfire (pressure/temperature/velocity/subsonic/supersonic etc) that may explain some of the different observations and opinions?

Does your tuning system have the same predictabilty across different rifles or does it need to be recalibrated for each rifle?

Mike Scott

Back