Easy Now!

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
We're all trying real hard here...not to call each other idiots. Unacceptable would be a good descriptor.

Particularly when there are so many substitutes available

-- "room temperature IQ..." "not the sharpest knife in the drawer..." "not the swiftest arrow in the quiver..."

There is always a need for more such, surely this inventive group can do better & gentler than "idiot!"

After the abuse that Meredith, Gammon and Aberegg gave me last weekend.......just call them Hovis'd

Hovis

Old preacher story

Wilbur,
Would you be so kind as to publish the name of the numb skull who called someone an idiot?

Reminds me of the one that goes..."would the person sitting next to the person, sitting next to the person, sitting next to the person that called the Preacher a "XXXXXX please stand up". and so forth ....

Acceptable--Unacceptable?

We're all trying real hard here...not to call each other idiots. Unacceptable would be a good descriptor.

Proposed descriptors:

Unacceptable: Idiot, Numb Skull, Meat Head, Cretin, Retard, Fool...

Acceptable: Mentally challenged, Cognitively Impaired, Reduced mental capacity, Intellectually deficient, Savant...

Wilbur,

No wonder I got lost her sometimes, being an Aussie & all.

We're taught over here to play the ball & not the man - disagree with the statement & not the person - but it's likely gridiron & ice hockey is played differently.

John

John, over here there's no descriptor more abusive than "bless his/her heart"

figger THAT out!

al

I believe that's OK

"Bless his heart" would seem OK...but would depend....:)

I'm certain at this moment the Gentleman that provoked my post had no intent to actually call anybody an idiot. I'll try to explain:

Suppose Francis and I were riding down the road and Francis threw a beer bottle at a road sign. I might respond with a snicker and say "you idiot".

Alternatively, if Francis and I were in disagreement and I said..."You're an idiot and it's no surprise because your momma is an idiot"....well...that would be a bit different. I would expect that Francis would then be in the business of rearranging my facial features.

The former was his intent rather than the latter I do believe.

"Bless his heart" would seem OK...but would depend....:)

I'm certain at this moment the Gentleman that provoked my post had no intent to actually call anybody an idiot. I'll try to explain:

Suppose Francis and I were riding down the road and Francis threw a beer bottle at a road sign. I might respond with a snicker and say "you idiot".

Alternatively, if Francis and I were in disagreement and I said..."You're an idiot and it's no surprise because your momma is an idiot"....well...that would be a bit different. I would expect that Francis would then be in the business of rearranging my facial features.

The former was his intent rather than the latter I do believe.

Well, I've known Francis several years and I can certainly attest that he is no idiot, a little senile maybe, but an idiot, no!!

I almost used this one a short time ago:

"...and I don't think any less of you today than I did yesterday."

In the immortal words of Nancy Kerrigan when beaten on the knees by Tonya Harding's goon,
"Why me Lord? Why me?"

Not you...Francis Kerbosky. I should have made the distinction. Francis Kerbosky holds the Guiness record for hitting the most road signs with beer bottles in an hour. Look it up.

Francis Kerbosky holds the Guiness record for hitting the most road signs with beer bottles in an hour. Look it up.

Wel, dang, Wilbur. What is the record? What are the rules? Does it have to be from a car? Does the car have to be moving? Does the thrower have to consume the beer before the toss?

Wel, dang, Wilbur. What is the record? What are the rules? Does it have to be from a car? Does the car have to be moving? Does the thrower have to consume the beer before the toss?

Wilbur is wrong--Francis Kerbosky was a pitcher for the Chicago Cubs in the 1930s. He never pitched beer bottles at road signs (as far as we know). But...the rules are:

From a moving pickup, of course--speed exactly 66.8 mph. Empty bottles, of course (cain't waste good beer!). Guy must be drunk, of course--nobody sober would try this. With a shotgun, maybe, but not beer bottles.

Back