Does anyone shoot matches using IBS target?

CYanchycki

Club Coordinator
Just curious who happens to shoot rimfire matches using the IBS target.

It appears most of the matches use BR50 or I believe the ARA target. Just wondering the reasons why.

Calvin

The target is too easy with it's 1/2" ten ring and best edge scoring. Also, the game is not supported by IBS and I know of no club that holds sanctioned matches anymore. Most want to shoot a more popular and challenging game. For those wanting to shoot strictly factory stock Marlins, Savages, Rugers etc. plinkers, or, any matches restricted to bulk or non-match ammo, it would be a good target. The club I belong to has non-sanctioned "barnyard" matches using this target for the very casual benchrest shooter. For the more serious dedicated benchrest shooter, we run IR50/50 matches.

Last edited:
Here in Springfield, MO we use this target on what we call "factory" night. Have 2 targets shot with classes including semi's.
Then shoot 2 targets we call unlimited but you have to use sandbags, no one piece rests.
Some 40X's and Suhls shoot 250's but with some windy nights change things.
(Yes we call 40X and Suhl factory)
A lot of fun and we average over 10 shooters a match.
We get some people started on this and they progress to fancy equipment later.

Ibs

Stopped sanctioned rim fire matches years ago. I agree that the target makes for a challenging vintage rifle match target. We shoot it frequently.

I had

No idea that there was no sanctioned BR matches.....

Reason being?????

I was curious about the targets as it appears there are a lot of smaller matches that use the more challenging targets. I can see using them when one has a full blown custom rifle. I do agree the smaller target can be very tough for a factory or semi custom rifle.

I was just curious. I shoot a older factory Feinwerkbau 2000 with a Harrell tuner. It can shoot 750's but I do loose out in x's with the IBS target being a factory rifle with a 3" for end adapter. This is with cheap SK Standard ammo. I get more X's with Center X and Eley Team. Have not shot anything more expensive. Feel it is a waste unless a full blown custom rifle is used.

So another question. Are the so called bigger rimfire matches allowing one piece rests or front and rear in the same class or is that separated? I would like to HOPE separated?

The best way to get the answers to your questions is to go to the websites for ARA and IR50/50 and read the "so called" rules.

A good card for Vintage guns

I think there are a good number of clubs that hold all forms of non-sanction matches using non-custom rifles.. This target card allows shooters to feel better about their efforts. Why not use an easier card if the folks shooting aren't "Pros"? Perhaps some of them will want to graduate someday. Of course, a lot of people love the old position rifles and love to shoot them so it's a good deal for everyone, I think. Perhaps the sanctioning bodies should consider a Vintage Class. Lots of em being shot and all over the country.

Pete

Hey Pete,

You gots to pay attention. No one is saying not to use the IBS target for informal barnyard, squirrel rifle or vintage matches etc. As a matter of fact, it was already stated that it is good for those purposes. The OP wanted to know why most of the rimfire benchrest matches are ARA or IR50/50 and not IBS. That was answered.

As for vintage matches, go for it. Set up all the vintage matches you want using whatever target you want. I'm sure it's fun, they just won't be sanctioned. I doubt that ARA or IR50/50 will be getting into a specific vintage class for sanctioned matches. If someone wants to shoot a vintage rifle in a sanctioned match, there's nothing stopping them.

Bill

the way I initially took your initial posts is that there were NO sanctioned matches. I should have been clearer. There are but they do not use the IBS target. Okay I understand now.

The match I am going to shoot later this month uses the IBS target for the reasons mentioned. We are located in NO mans land. In other words the matches are in NW Ontario, God's country. Hunting, fishing, hard retired blue collar workers. These guys have off the shelf factory rifles with some higher end factory rifles. Cooper, Anschutz, 52's. The whole gammut. Some of the clubs up here just use the BR 50. It definately is harder scoring unless you have a full blown custom......

I appreciate the replies.

Calvin

Hi Calvin,

We use the IBS 50YD rimfire target for our Wednesday Evening "fun match". Nothing sanctioned, just a half dozen or so fellows who enjoy .22 benchrest shooting. Rifles range from one custom benchrest model (I forget exactly what it is) to some box-stock Anschutz and Kimber 82G's. For us non-pro's it offers enough of a challenge.

Dave

Well, I think you mis read what I was a sayin

Hey Pete,

You gots to pay attention. No one is saying not to use the IBS target for informal barnyard, squirrel rifle or vintage matches etc. As a matter of fact, it was already stated that it is good for those purposes. The OP wanted to know why most of the rimfire benchrest matches are ARA or IR50/50 and not IBS. That was answered.

As for vintage matches, go for it. Set up all the vintage matches you want using whatever target you want. I'm sure it's fun, they just won't be sanctioned. I doubt that ARA or IR50/50 will be getting into a specific vintage class for sanctioned matches. If someone wants to shoot a vintage rifle in a sanctioned match, there's nothing stopping them.

Fine, you feel the way you feel but there are others who feel differently. I do not intend to run anything other than IR 50/50 matches. I'm just sayin that there is always talk about the decrease in the number of shooters so someone might want to consider doing something different to get more folks to sanctioned matches. Me, we are happy with the turnout we get currently.

Pete

The best way to get the answers to your questions is to go to the websites for ARA and IR50/50 and read the "so called" rules.

This is an relatively IMPORTANT post. Please notice the quotes and fix it whenever and wherever you can. Coming up with a solution that sounds good at the moment might not be best in the long run.

Forgot to add - Thanks Bill!

Back