Die project

Thanks for the pics Al. They show exactly what I made. I'm guessing I must be using the wrong term when I said body die. I opened it to size only the base like your pic.

I have used

a .308 small base die for years with shorter BR cases as well as 30-44's. It ends being pretty much like a borne out die when using shorter cases. I have often wished it was tighter. I'm gonna check to see if i trim a bit off the butt if it may work better.

Pete

Last edited:
a .308 small base die for years with shorter BR cases as well as 30-44's. It ends being pretty much like a borne out die when using shorter cases. I have often wished it was tighter. I'm gonna check to see if i trim a bit off the butt if it may work better. Pete

Pete, size a 308W case and check the shoulder and back end dimensions. Use those dimensions to figure the taper per inch in .001's. Then shorten the back end to pick up what you need. Don't be surprised if you need to shorten it more than you think. If it gets too short, the taper on a 308W die can get you into trouble by starting to hit the upper side of the BR length cases.

Good whittlin' ;) -Al

Thanks Al

Pete, size a 308W case and check the shoulder and back end dimensions. Use those dimensions to figure the taper per inch in .001's. Then shorten the back end to pick up what you need. Don't be surprised if you need to shorten it more than you think. If it gets too short, the taper on a 308W die can get you into trouble by starting to hit the upper side of the BR length cases.

Good whittlin' ;) -Al

No good deed goes un punished, does it? Likely I should just open the ass of the chamber up a bit, eh?

Pete

Pete, if you have or can borrow a 45 ACP die to try, give the cases a pass in that. It sizes the base and doesn't get after the sides of the case. A carbide version works great. -Al

I have one

Pete, if you have or can borrow a 45 ACP die to try, give the cases a pass in that. It sizes the base and doesn't get after the sides of the case. A carbide version works great. -Al

Thanks, I'll try it when I get home.

Pete

Back