Dial Calipers- Craftsman, et al

E

El Paso Mark

Greetings all. Anyone using Craftsman Dial Calipers? Thoughts/comments?

What brand calipers are you using?

Thoughts/comments on Hornady, RCBS, Smith & Wesson calipers? Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Chinese imports for most of my work. I have Mitutoyo and Starett calipers I use in certain situations, however, I find the imports to work as well. Just not as smooth and well finished. In addition when you drop them you can toss them and not be out too much. If I need really accurate maesuremets I go to the mics.

Keith

I bought a Smith & Wesson brand digital caliber a few months ago. I believe it was made in China.

It seems to work just fine. It is rather attractive with an enamel trim color in dark maroon.

I honestly do not know a great deal about these instruments. I'm nowhere near as deep into the shooting hobby as many on the board -- and so what I have is more than adequate for now.

i normally use the $15 enco cheapies. i have a set of 12" mitutoyos & 6" starett's but they normally stay in the tool box.
like keith said if you need accuarcy break out the mic's

Thanx guys. I'm assuming you're using calipers to measure case length and OAL? I didn't see any micrometers that appeared to open that much.

Cheers,

Mark

I have several 6" dial calipers including a couple of the expensive brands but I think maybe the smoothest running set I have was marketed by Dillon Precision and is likely Chinese mfg. All of them seem to be plenty accurate for my needs.

I just bought

a Chicom model off the reloading section of Ebay which has a BIG display area that is easier to read than the Frankfort Arsenal model I have had for years. I find the quality to be about the same and the accuracy appears to be the same. The larger numbers are great for my aging eyes. Less than $20. delivered, BTW ! :D

Two Mititoyo digitals, one with carbide insers. A Starrett and a B&S dial calipers, the B&S stays in the loading room. A couple of Chinese 6" dials lying around the shop to check stock sizes, etc.
8" Mititoyo and 12" (forget brand) stay in the toolbox for months, years at a time.
Quality tools are a joy to use.

yes i use a craftsman dial caliper...but it is close to 35 yrs old...not the new stuff. like otheres here i use a couple of import 6" calipers for most reloading tasks, but own some nice carbide faced mic's for real precision work.

case oal is a caliper task, but loaded rounds are seldom measured oal, instead are measured case base to where the bullet meets the lands. lots of tools out there to add to a caliper to make this measurment.

mike in co

Again, thanx guys. I may go with the Craftsman based on "Brand recognition," "(Perceived) Quality/reliability," etc. Price is about the same.

case oal is a caliper task, but loaded rounds are seldom measured oal, instead are measured case base to where the bullet meets the lands. lots of tools out there to add to a caliper to make this measurment. mike in co

Thanx Mike. I was looking at some of those items, specifically the Comparator's from Hornady.

Cheers,

Mark

Back