detached retina

C

CMaier

soo much for shooting anytime soon.
was discovered yesterday and they would have operated then, but i had just eaten.
see the doc again today at noon.

Very sorry to hear that. Detached retinas are never fun and definitely will sideline you from shooting.

BTW, hopefully I don't end-up so afflicted. I'm building a .585 Nyati and they're known pull on eyes if not properly set-up:

Left - .600 Overkill, Right - .585 Nyati

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

lee,
I do not shoot anything big.
I will listen to the docs about recovery.

Very sorry to hear that. Detached retinas are never fun and definitely will sideline you from shooting.

BTW, hopefully I don't end-up so afflicted. I'm building a .585 Nyati and they're known pull on eyes if not properly set-up:

Lee

Now Lee,,, promise me you ain't planning to put that in a single action revolver! :rolleyes:

Just kidding, I know that not even you would build something like that; would you? :confused: Nah, no way.

I enjoy your posts and photos.

Later

Gene Beggs

Thanks Gene. And no, even I wouldn't attempt this Nyati in anything less than a 12 pound rifle. I'm doing it on a CZ 550 Magnum and it'll get a brake and mercury reduction.

As for handguns, I met my match on this .50 Alaskan BFR:

585 gr casts at 1,500 fps are a handful (pun intended).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Beautiful piece of work. :)

Nice to look at and handle but if you say you met your match with it, I wouldn't dare fire it. :eek
Reminds me of Jackie Schmidt's hot rod Malibu; it's 'over the top' ;just TOO MUCH!

Later,

Gene Beggs

Detached Retina

soo much for shooting anytime soon.
was discovered yesterday and they would have operated then, but i had just eaten.
see the doc again today at noon.

Please be careful. I had one done back in the days before laser surgery. They used to open the eye up and burn down the area that was detached thereby destroying it. The doctor who was an outdoorsman recommended that I shoot nothing that kicked too much. I now use a 243 Winchester for a deer rifle. Of course benchrest rifles don't present a problem. Al.

Pay attention to flashes in vision

If you have flashes around the edges of your vision at all, get it checked out by a real eye doctor. I was having quite a few so I finally went in. The doc said I was about 2 weeks from a detached retina. He put me right in the chair and did laser surgery right then. He caught it in time.

When you get to 60 or so, your retinas may shrink and pull away from the edges. That causes the flashes and can lead to tearing and detachment. This is the usual cause. It is luck of the draw, and having it in one eye means you only have about a 1 in 500 chance of having it in the other. A properly repaired eye will only have about a 1 in 100 chance of a recurrence.

Laser suregery is not fun, but it beats having an air bubble injected into your eye and laying face down for 2 weeks. That is what they do for detachments in some cases.

update...
go under the knife at noon thursday.
aprox 2 hours with lots of post down time.
this is already boring.....do nothing lift nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck and don't screw around with it. No doctor is going to give you an unqualified ok to shoot either a cannon or a 22. The doctor will hedge to avoid a malpractice claim. Personally, I wouldn't shoot again for a very long time, if ever. It is your eye and it ain't gonna be replaced. Be careful. Remember a sport can be replaced but not your eye.

all went well today...they say if all heals well i can shoot in about a month...ohh and a week in the head down position...24hr a day...

i went thru that back in 86..taint no fun. they put a band around mine..gad it was the left eye.
stil have vision out of it but not the greatest. very light sinsitive as well..A lot of shooters get it.
that why the oliympics dont shoot high power any longer..i wish you all the very best of luck..

not so good

While in the exam chair at the doctors office, my retina tore.
That was tuesday, this am under went surgery number two.
Different process, start all over. my eye had some scaring that the retina did not like for
regrowth/healing. they cleaned that up today and try again.
1day. one week, one month checkups.

Thanks Gene. And no, even I wouldn't attempt this Nyati in anything less than a 12 pound rifle. I'm doing it on a CZ 550 Magnum and it'll get a brake and mercury reduction.

As for handguns, I met my match on this .50 Alaskan BFR:

585 gr casts at 1,500 fps are a handful (pun intended).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I worked with Jack Huntington for 10 years. Fortunately those big 50 revolvers don't hurt your eyeballs unless they hit you in the head, which they do try to do.

None of us in the shop ever got hit, but we've seen a few pictures of clients who did. The first 50 Alaskan he built hit quite a few...

You probably heard he moved to Sparks NV a year ago in June? I was the rifle side of the shop and stayed local. We were just reminiscing on the phone last
night about all the good times we had working and hunting together. I'll be shooting with him next week.

Yes, I heard Jack moved to Nevada last year. I've had the pleasure of shooting a couple of his Ruger conversions. His work is top-notch and he's a heck of a nice guy. I'm sure you have good memories working there.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Ok ladies and gentlemen,
The doctors are done working on my left eye.
Three surgeries, 7 months plus and the eye is
now at 20/150 and not straight...wavy view.
The optometrist says i am done shooting left handed,
(left eye dominant). I have been trying to shoot with
my right eye, right handed, but the eye does not like
lining up with the scope. constantly have to reset my head.

It looks like any plan i had for competitive br shooting is gone,
at least for now. Slower timed club events may work out, pd
shooting will be fine.

Back