Creedmore Method

Creedmoor Method

Pertaining to SCORE Shooting -
In the NBRSA rules, there is a pretty good explanation of how to settle ties in yardage aggregate and grand agg match ties. Even how to settle a 250-25X tie.
Prior to those explanations ,there is the one liner......

"11.5.9. Ties (using the “Creedmoor Method”) ." A one word sentence. Since the next rule point is

"11.5.10. Yardage Aggregate Ties – etc ...." , I am making the assumption, "ties" in 11.5.9 refers to ties in Match's 1-5, with Match 6 being the Aggregate score.
My conclusion being those Match scoring ties are settled with "the Creedmore Method".

My question is, Is there any official NBRSA explanation of The Creedmore Method? Where is it?

My search only came up with an F-class competition blog note saying "Creedmoor...The person with the highest value for their last shot wins". If this is the case, it seems to contradict the tie breakers explained for Yardage and Grand Agg which eventually get back to Bull #1, Target #1, which certainly isn't the last shot.

What am I missing? Maybe diff Creedmore rules for Benchrest, F-class, pistols?

Last edited:
My reasoning is the first target with an X wins. For example shooter #1 has a target #3 with an X and shooter #2 has a target with an X on the 4. Shooter #1 wins because he has first bull, I hope I got that right. That is why you shoot from 5 to 1, in the hope you have it figured by the time you shoot #5 which is your first target you will have an X.

Bill, you are correct . That is standard scoring procedure, I believe, and it is called "miss and out". That phrase, and "best edge scoring" used to be in rule book but no longer.
I am looking for a definition of "The Creedmore Method" and how it is used to resolve ties. Maybe the CM and what you stated are the same. ?

if two shooters tie...

lets say each shooter shoots 4 Xs on each of their 5 targets, you go back to target one and look at each bullseye from 1 thru 5. The tie is broken by which shooter shooter dropped an X first. Lets say shooter one shoots Xs on bullseye 1 thru 4 and shooter 2 shoots Xs on bullseye 2 thru 5, shooter 1 wins because he got an X on bullseye 1 and shooter 2 did not.

Pertaining to SCORE Shooting -
In the NBRSA rules, there is a pretty good explanation of how to settle ties in yardage aggregate and grand agg match ties. Even how to settle a 250-25X tie.
Prior to those explanations ,there is the one liner......

"11.5.9. Ties (using the “Creedmoor Method”) ." A one word sentence. Since the next rule point is

"11.5.10. Yardage Aggregate Ties – etc ...." , I am making the assumption, "ties" in 11.5.9 refers to ties in Match's 1-5, with Match 6 being the Aggregate score.
My conclusion being those Match scoring ties are settled with "the Creedmore Method".

My question is, Is there any official NBRSA explanation of The Creedmore Method? Where is it?

My search only came up with an F-class competition blog note saying "Creedmoor...The person with the highest value for their last shot wins". If this is the case, it seems to contradict the tie breakers explained for Yardage and Grand Agg which eventually get back to Bull #1, Target #1, which certainly isn't the last shot.

What am I missing? Maybe diff Creedmore rules for Benchrest, F-class, pistols?

I agree.....

Yes, I agree with that scenario. Seems to be same as what Bill stated earlier. You go back to Bull #1 on Target #1 and the shooter with lowest score losses, or "misses", hence, the phrase "miss and out". If Bull #1 is same for both shooters, you go on to Bull #2, etc.

So is this tie breaker method called the Creedmore Method? Is 'Miss and Out' the same as the Creedmore Method?

That is why the Olympic scoring assigns a 1-10 count on the centering of the x hit. Does not matter which target is x - a perfect hit is a 10/10 score worst x hit 10/0

Thanks Jackie. I saw this pop up while doin a Google for Creedmoor Method. Maybe my initial post got too far in the weeds but I am mostly trying to figure out the reference to Creedmoor Method that is in rule 11.5.9. , just prior to the lines explaining Yardage Agg and Grand Agg Tiebreakers. That is the group of lines directly from rulebook that Mike Bryant posted in his response at that time.

Specifically.....are those lines in the rule book , 11.5.10 , 11.5.11 , 11.5.12 , the Creedmoor Method ? I don't think so cause I read the rules as saying ties (11.5.9) relates to yardage Matches 1 thru 5 and they are settled by Creedmoor Method (whatever that is) because the rules continue to state the tiebreaker method for Agg's.

Am I making sense? Or just reading it wrong? Or is my Houston public school education letting me down by not knowing the def of Creedmoor Method?

And my apologies for mis-spelling Creedmoor at the beginning of all this.

Implied rules

This reference to the Creedmoor Method made me look into the Creedmoor Match itself. Seems that the Creedmoor, NY Black Powder Target Rifle Matches of the 1870's are at the root of our Benchrest Sport. It was one of the first International Shooting competitions with formal rules. Indeed, ALL the Bullseye Target Shooting sports have the same basic rules. At it's core, we have the simplest of sports with the simplest of rules.

- Leading edge scoring of the bullet hole
- Highest score wins
- Most X's , or V's, is the tiebreaker

I believe this to be the Creedmoor Method of scoring/tiebreaking. Although these basic rules are not stated in the NBRSA rulebook, they are implied. We compete by these basic rules. They are, however, stated in the NRA Black Powder Target Rifle Rulebook where there is an actual Creedmoor Course match at 800, 900, and 1000 yds.

In our Benchrest Matches, when the greatest number of X's does not resolve a tie, then the Yardage Agg and Grand Agg tiebreakers take over as stated after '11.5.9 Ties'. (Oddly, the BPTR tiebreaker for the Creedmoor Course is vastly diff).

So, this may not be THE explanation for the Creedmoor Method but it is AN explanation depending on how you read the format of this section of the rulebook on ties.
Thanks for your indulgence with my inquiry into this. After 500 views, I thought someone might have known something on this.

Back