Copper based anti-seize lube

There is an industrial product called FelPro. It looks like it has fine copper dust in it. Chemical and other like industries use it as a high temp anti seize on bolt threads. Great stuff. Is it better than just plain EP grease for barrel threads? Probably overkill. Can't hurt, but overkill.

My son, the mechanical engineer, recommends Dupont's Krytox after numerous tests on stainless steel interfacing and galling in one of his materials classes. I personally have used it on stainless steel operating screws on large 24" gate valves on main distribution lines. It has the consistency of toothpaste, I also use it on the frame/slide of my stainless 1911.

I'm not knocking any of the above or anything else for that matter. I just have never had to go beyond Lubriplate for any of the above uses in Firearms.

I still remember buying the small capsules from the WWII surplus joints for a nickel as a kid for my pet .22 rifle.

It has worked for me in all conditions around the world and in every environment you can imagine. The only other product that has come close is NEVER-SEIZE.

copper, copper everywhere

I have used a lot of different lubes on stainless barrel threads. All except the lighter oils worked well. Copper based anti-seize lube is supposed to be the best at preventing seizing. I do not know this for a fact but what I do know is that after using it you will have copper colored grease everywhere, the stock, action, your hands, clothing, the ceiling of your shop, everywhere. The stuff stains and is hard to remove from surfaces. Tim

I tried Antiseize

a couple of years ago for Bolt Lube and found out it dried out quickly when using it in that fashion. I recently received a new action and it appeared to have the copper stuff on the surfaces that slide over each other; wondered what it was. Does anyone use it for bolt and cam lube?

Boss Hoss...

Huh????

I have used copper and aluminum anti-sieze...both are messy. For the the last couple years, I have used a product from Dave Dohrman. It is white and is not nearly as messy as the others mentioned. Good shooting...James

I'll bet if you read the label on the copper anti-sieze you'll find it is intended for high temperature applications.

If you have a proper thread with a least minimal clearance, keep the joint clean, and use a thin coating of brand-name EP grease you shouldn't have a bit of trouble with barrel threads.

-Dave-:)

Hi Heat

I sold the Copper Anti-Sieze to refineriesto use on their High Heat equipment. They used to use 1 to 2, Inch and 3/4" impact soctect per inspection just to remove an inspection cover. In one instant, there were only 24 studs. After they started using the Copper type, they could use the same socket for three complete inspection cycles.

Victor Johnson, of Johnson Bullets, just reminded me the FelPro product (C5-A) has been sold to Loctite Corp. The C5-A product is copper and graphite particles in an EP grease. Messy!!
It's still overkill for well fitted barrel threads. Like Dave Short said, any good EP grease is sufficient.

Back