Cleaning Rods causing bore damage?

center22

There has been some discussion on other rimfire boards about stainless steel cleaning rods causes bore damage ... referred to as cold welding (magnetic) or galling. I have used polished stainless steel cleaning rods from various manufactures, with a tight fitting aligned bore guide, and never personally experienced any problems with bore damage. The whole purpose of using a tight bore guide is to prevent a straight stainless steel cleaning rod from contacting the lands or grooves of the bore when carefully pushing a cleaning patch through it. It would appear to me that running a dry patch over hardened gritty (glass) rimfire fouling would cause more galling damage to the internal surface of the bore, than the alloy composition of the cleaning rod itself. This is a link to an article on galling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling Can anyone provide a photo of what this cold welding / galling damage looks like in a rimfire bore? John

Disinformation perhaps ?

There has been some discussion on other rimfire boards about stainless steel cleaning rods causes bore damage ... referred to as cold welding (magnetic) or galling. I have used polished stainless steel cleaning rods from various manufactures, with a tight fitting aligned bore guide, and never personally experienced any problems with bore damage. The whole purpose of using a tight bore guide is to prevent a straight stainless steel cleaning rod from contacting the lands or grooves of the bore when carefully pushing a cleaning patch through it. It would appear to me that running a dry patch over hardened gritty (glass) rimfire fouling would cause more galling damage to the internal surface of the bore, than the alloy composition of the cleaning rod itself. This is a link to an article on galling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling Can anyone provide a photo of what this cold welding / galling damage looks like in a rimfire bore? John

It's an old communist trick to get everyone thinking in a false direction to slow down progress. When some people speak, what they say needs to be carefully thought about to see if there may be some doublespeak going on. Sort of like saying that CCI is the only ammo worth competing with, for instance, eh ?

Pete

It's an old communist trick to get everyone thinking in a false direction to slow down progress. When some people speak, what they say needs to be carefully thought about to see if there may be some doublespeak going on. Sort of like saying that CCI is the only ammo worth competing with, for instance, eh ?

Pete

Sort of like cold fusion. Follow the money and bouncing ball to the newest invention!

No - don't have a picture...

But use whatever cleaning rod you like with the bore guide of your choice. When the barrel gets to where it won't shoot - buy another one. It's that simple. I do think a one piece cleaning rod is the better rod and a tight fitting bore guide is the better guide but that's just what I think - don't know. I'm sure from all the years cleaning that something other than the rod and guide will cause the barrel to give up.

Others may have a different opinion and that's OK with me.

Back