Cleaning rod for rimfire?

TrxR

Im looking for a new cleaning rod for my 40x .22lr rimfies as the handle on my dewey is to large to clear the stock without bending.

Im am looking at the Boretech rimfire or a pro shot stainless.

Any recommendations ? With the proshot should i go with a .22-.26cal or a 20cal rod?

Thanks

If you are going with a new rod get a longer one to solve the handle/stock issue.
Dewey does recommend the .20 cal rod for rim fire barrels when using coated rods.

One piece of advice for what it’s worth is too stay way from coated rods, especially in the smaller diameter. They have way too much flex when compared to a solid stainless steel. Dewey makes stainless as well as coated as does Pro-Shot. I haven’t heard anything about Ivey rods lately.

If you are going with a new rod get a longer one to solve the handle/stock issue.
Dewey does recommend the .20 cal rod for rim fire barrels when using coated rods.

Im already using there longest rod.

My other problem is with these stocks the cheek area is higher than the bore so I dont think any rod is going to work without taking it out of the stock which I dont want to do.

FBecigneul: I dont think Ivy rods are in business anymore as no one can get ahold of them.

With regard to Dewey and Pro-Shot: Are you using their longest stock rod or have you called about a special order length? I kind of thought that was the scoop on Ivey. Too bad because they made an excellent rod.

I had the same problem with my Dewey rod so I turned down the handle to about 1/2 original thickness. Works much better now.

My other problem is with these stocks the cheek area is higher than the bore so I don't think any rod is going to work without taking it out of the stock which I dont want to do.
Could you have the cheek modified with a groove/slot for the rod without upsetting the feel when you're shooting - or are you reluctant to modify the stock?

Could you have the cheek modified with a groove/slot for the rod without upsetting the feel when you're shooting - or are you reluctant to modify the stock?

I dont want to modify the stock as it is original . I may bite the bullet and go to a different stock.

Here is a picture showing the problem.

20190726_152929.jpg

Bill Calfee claimed

Metal rods would harm barrels. Also, a freiend told me he has a friend who runs a testing laboratory and in tests that friend said uncoated rods would harm barrels and coated rods would not and fiberglass rod would not. He also said rod guides were superfluous. Me, i like rod guides but have always used Dewey rods without any damage I could ever see. Doesn't look to me like they have become impregnated with anything but I have no way to test to find anything.

I have tried a lot of different rods over the years and find myself back to Deweys.

Pete

Metal rods would harm barrels. Also, a freiend told me he has a friend who runs a testing laboratory and in tests that friend said uncoated rods would harm barrels and coated rods would not and fiberglass rod would not. He also said rod guides were superfluous. Me, i like rod guides but have always used Dewey rods without any damage I could ever see. Doesn't look to me like they have become impregnated with anything but I have no way to test to find anything.

I have tried a lot of different rods over the years and find myself back to Deweys.

Pete

I would continue using the Dewey if they didn't use that big handle . It doesn't need to be that big. Once I get a new rod I might try and remove the handle on my old Dewey and see how small I can turn it down.

I tried contacting him a couple times lately and never received a reply. So have many others.

Atleast its not just me having the problem. Ive tried a couple of times in the last 3 months.
I would like to get my hands on one of his .187 rimfire rods in 48 inchs long.

Sorry

I tried contacting him a couple times lately and never received a reply. So have many others.

I have a bunch of his highly polished SS rods and think they are the best I've ever used. With a rod guide and a bore rider brush or patch jag they come no where near the bore. Not normal to be out of biz and still have a fully functional website.

I have a bunch of his highly polished SS rods and think they are the best I've ever used. With a rod guide and a bore rider brush or patch jag they come no where near the bore. Not normal to be out of biz and still have a fully functional website.

I agree 100%. I have a set of his .187 44" rimfire rods. I like them so well I wanted to get a set of .203 dia. 22 cal. and up for my ppc. I ended up trying a couple 42" Pro Shot rods instead and like them as well.

Back