Cheapest, quickest way to shrink groups

use cotton targets, wash in hot water...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I was engrossed in this and a B-52 sized Miller crash landed in my iced tea.

A) use a ruler to measure perceived bullet holes from outside to outside, and subtract full bullet diameter.

B) shoot 3-shot groups, and have an alibi for every flyer (e.g. I pulled that one)

C) only post a picture of one group, rather than the dozen others shot on the same day with the same gear

D) boast to your buddies gathered after a match that you voted for Obama. Watch the group shrink to nothing.

Somewhar serious reply.

Don't forget your windflags.

A. Weldy

Learn how to reload properly would be a very good place for a person to start when trying to reduce their group sizes.

Rough-up, degrease and epoxy your bases onto the action.

al

I have ~ 100 center fire rifles, and I help other people at the range sight in their guns.
I take tools with me to the range.

Fully 50% of my problems and other people problems are caused by loose screws that clamp the bases to the reciever.

Then there are the other problems...

Guns I hunt with have epoxy between base(s) and receiver, and were fixtured to get the base(s) co planar on top, co linear on the sides, and paralel with the bore. Scopes adjusted with the reticle in the center of the tube are then on the paper when mounted. I use loctite 242 on the base mount screws.

With all due respect Al, I question your statement here. I have yet to own a rifle, and I have had a lot of em, that had mounts move when the screws had blue Loc-Tite in the holes.

With all due respect Al, I question your statement here. I have yet to own a rifle, and I have had a lot of em, that had mounts move when the screws had blue Loc-Tite in the holes.

Yo Pete.....

I can't fault your logic, ain't really disagreeing with you! The real point is, you're AWARE of the problem. :)

IMO blue loctite is an inferior fix but it is a fix for a very real problem..... (BTW the OP was a statement, not a question ;) )

Here's the thing.... typical bases slide around a bit. Fact.

Jim Borden makes his actions in a way that combats the problem quite well. He machines the threaded base holes smaller in diameter than normal tapped holes. In fact, the first time I swapped out screws (long story) I tried many screws in the holes before I dared tighten one in, the holes are so tight as to create an interference fit. They almost feel as if they're cross-threaded. This tight fit coupled with a close tolerance hole in the Talley base/ring sets that he has made for him combine to make a pretty bullet proof and easy setup.

I take even these one step further in that I put a thin film of rosin in between the base and the action. And I grease the screws.

But for most setups I just epoxy the stuff right onto the action as best I can. Trying for a permanent bond. After my Scope Checker showed me that my scopes were perty good I went after bases and rings and solved a lot of "scope problems."

Affixing the bases combined with alignment and lapping with Kokopelli equipment is time consuming but well worth it IMO.

al

I put oil or some other release agent on the screws when I bed the bases. Then after the epoxy sets up, I have to get the threads clean for the loctite to bond. The male threads are easy, but the female threads take some work.

I don't use loctite on the screws. I believe the only reason TO use it would be as a gap filler, not to lock the screws. IMO locking the screws is a waste of time. I grease them.

al

Affixing the bases combined with alignment and lapping with Kokopelli equipment is time consuming but well worth it IMO.

al

What was the runout on your scopes before you bent them into the alignment of your Kokopelli equipment?
Waterboy

What was the runout on your scopes before you bent them into the alignment of your Kokopelli equipment?
Waterboy

Didn't seem to be much, spinning them they were all pretty much suction-fit. I've bedded two that I thought might be crooked but my one-piece tube Leupolds have seemed very straight.

al

Back