Chargemaster combo..... (a few questions)

I use the 12v battery that is used for deer feeders. There are some sites that will give you the instructions to speed up the programming on the Chargemaster. When used outside on not the greatest of tables, you have to be careful when seating bullets while the Chatgemaster is running. Too much vibration when the Chargemaster is getting close to the preset charge weight and it will overcharge. It will keep working as the battery weakens. When the battery gets too weak, it takes longer for it to dispense the charge. Switching to a fully charged battery will correct that. A battery will usually last me at least a season before it needs to be recharged.

What about those tests done earlier

For example...Frank Murphy shot some groups using weighed charges and dropped charges...couldn't tell the difference. Are Y'all saying Frank goofed up the test?

Had to come back and add that I really, really don't know this answer. I feel that there's nothing errant within weighed powder charges but there's something that ain't right here. How many folks that weigh powder do not win...ever? Does that mean anything?

Last edited:
I'm not talking supposition but rather reality. Certainly, I'm limited to 100/200 yard benchrest group and will have to accept others when talking further yardages.

chargemaster combo

A test was done along time ago by a powder company { forgot which one but it may have been Hodgdons.
They found No appreciable difference in accuracy between thrown charges and weighed charges.
. The key is being consistent in your operation of the powder measure.

Stool

You may want to consider what you post...or rather how you post it.

Just tell us how your test came out and how you did it. That would be better.

chargemaster combo

so here,s one source I have for now.
Speer reloading manual 9 page 96 by Neil Knox. first column top left page .

May I add this the scale is accurate to 1/10 grain , so are some measures . I have a charge master myself but i always carry my measure and usually develop loads with it.

I like the chargemaster for those coarse powders like reloader 15 and a few others.

wilbur,
i apologized for upsetting the apple cart.
in the years and years i have been on the forum, i have never seen reference to the above "test"/article, inspite of several thread on throwing powder.

back several years , several members did tests with NAME brand throwers and a sample of powders using scales that read to less than 0.1....0.02 or better.
oem 8208/thunderbird threw at about plus or minus .05 so a spread of less than 0.1..very small grain size.
n133 threw at plus or minus 0.3 with the majority at plus or minus 0.2 so a 0.4-0.6 spread...
we did other powders, but most were amazed at the spread on the most popular powder and that it still won.
experienced shooters said it was simple..n133 in a 6ppc had a large soft tuning window...get close and be happy.

thus the comments that with a 6ppc yes you can throw if you shoot n133.
if it is another powder and another caliber...no one knows in every case.
it definitely id not the way to go for long range.....see jim's posts on his 0.001 scale and single digit es's.

What were the names of the members, how did their tests turn out, which NAME brand throwers, which powders. Is the values you offer your values or those of others - which others?

experienced shooters said it was simple..n133 in a 6ppc had a large soft tuning window...get close and be happy.

I wish I could just get close with N133 and be happy
Just not enough experience yet

Last edited:
Sorry I did that..just one more thing

You posted:
sorry but that would fall under unscientific bs.
no name
no powders listed
no tools listed...what thrower ?
no scale listed ??
what was the accuracy ,hunting or br ??

And then posted something very similar with no basis .... either

Didn't have anything to do with what was written.

I wish I could tell you of all of the records that are still standing that were shot with thrown charges, or all of the matches that have been won with aggregates that would still be competitive today. One thing that I do believe is that if it pleases you to have greater control over the precision of your charges than you can achieve, that something like a Chargemaster will do no harm, and might give you more confidence. I have spent a lot of time, working on powder throwing technique, and am satisfied that I can throw it well enough, using the powders that are common in short range benchrest, that I do not have much use for a scale, but I can also tell you that it took some serious experimentation, and practice, weighing my loads with good scales to get to that point. None of what I do came from a book, magazine, or off of the internet, and frankly, given the effort that I put in to be able to throw 133 well, I can certainly see why so many use Chargemasters, or at least check their charges with a scale. With 133 staying inside of +-.1 gr. is a challenge, and requires paying constant attention to what you are doing (for me) on the other hand, the new LT32 is easy to throw to that standard and better, and less commonly used powders like H322 and Benchmark are a lot easier than 133. None of this will read a wind flag, make up for a mediocre barrel, or being out of tune. If I had all of that perfect, I believe that I could load with a set of customized Lee dippers, and still do pretty well.

Thanks Boyd

The "summary" you posted seems valid...at least for 100/200/300 benchrest shooting. For sure, weighing each powder charge with some type of scale doesn't hurt at all if you aren't thinking that's all you need to do....likely helps. I can't see any way that it would hurt if you don't take those thoughts to the firing line.

But, just think of all the unexplained out-of-group shots and all the groups that do not fit the rest of the agg and the conditions. Could those be caused by the dropped load(s) that missed the norm? Now that we have improved technology in powder dropping I plan on using it if for nothing else than additional peace of mind.

Another possible issue is on the old Culver style that only had 0.3 grain increments. What if that next 0.3 up or down is too much? I've never seen where anyone had proven that nodes are in multiples of 0.3 grains.

But, just think of all the unexplained out-of-group shots and all the groups that do not fit the rest of the agg and the conditions. Could those be caused by the dropped load(s) that missed the norm? Now that we have improved technology in powder dropping I plan on using it if for nothing else than additional peace of mind.

Another possible issue is on the old Culver style that only had 0.3 grain increments. What if that next 0.3 up or down is too much? I've never seen where anyone had proven that nodes are in multiples of 0.3 grains.

It certainly won't hurt anything to have more precise powder charges. In all that we do, we strive to do away with as many variables as we can...this one makes sense, simply because it can't hurt. I use two chargemasters, side by side for speed. I go preloaded and tune with my tuner if/when needed. I can't say that weighed charges make me shoot better or not, but it's one less thing to worry about. I can say that they meter every powder more consistently than any drop measure I've used. We do lots of "feel good" things that make less sense than knowing how much powder we are putting in a case.

Back