Change In Flag Rotations For Score Nationals In Lake Charles

jackie schmidt

At the the request of Mike Gulliot, Match Director, I will be sponsoring a Flag Rotation at the Score Nationals, as one of the sponsors had to pull out.

I will be making up identical flags for all 5 Benches on the rotation, 5 for 100 yards and 6 for 200 yards.

They will be real similar to this. This is what I shoot over.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17703&stc=1&d=1460998159

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Silver Daisy's

Holy Crap Jackie,

I think you better stiffen up those stand legs if your going to use those big silver daisy's there on the ground plus you need some good bearing's.... LOL...

Looks like you keep up a clean shop...

i think the plan is to use the large "daisies" in the background
to blind the competition.

OK, I will display my ignorance yet again. What is a "Flag Rotation", how does it work and what does it mean that you sponsor it?

OK, I will display my ignorance yet again. What is a "Flag Rotation", how does it work and what does it mean that you sponsor it?

At National Events, the rules stipulate that each shooter rotates, (moves), to another Bench after each match, (i.e., after each group in Group Shooting, or Target in Score Shooting.

That means you will be rotating to five different benches in the course of each yardage. At a 20 bench range such as Lake Charles, if you happen to start on Bench 2, you will rotate to Bench 6 for the second Match, then Bench 10 for the third Match, then Bench 14 for the fourth Match, and end up on 18 for Mach 5.

In order to have flags in front of those benches, a shooter will sponsor a Rotation, and be responsible got the flags set in front of those five benches.

Some shooters have enough friends with the exact same type of flag, and they gather enough up to get the required amount for the five benches on their Rotation.

Rather than do this, as a sponsor of a Rotation, I am making up flags to have 5 at 100 yards and 6 at 200 yards for the five benches I am asigned. That is 30 flags total, (like the one in my first post). Shooters who request or are assigned to my Rotation will be shooting over the same type of flag at each bench.

Now, Benchrest etiquette says that if you are asigned to a rotation, you do not place other flags in that lane. Some shooters have been known to ignore this, (the Rule Book does not address the issue), and insist on cluttering up the field, but they are few and far between.

Last edited:
At National Events, the rules stipulate that each shooter rotates, (moves), to another Bench after each match, (i.e., after each group in Group Shooting, or Target in Score Shooting.

That means you will be rotating to five different benches in the course of each yardage. At a 20 bench range such as Lake Charles, if you happen to start on Bench 2, you will rotate to Bench 6 for the second Match, then Bench 10 for the third Match, then Bench 14 for the fourth Match, and end up on 18 for Mach 5.

In order to have flags in front of those benches, a shooter will sponsor a Rotation, and be responsible got the flags set in front of those five benches.

Some shooters have enough friends with the exact same type of flag, and they gather enough up to get the required amount for the five benches on their Rotation.

Rather than do this, as a sponsor of a Rotation, I am making up flags to have 5 at 100 yards and 6 at 200 yards for the five benches I am asigned. That is 30 flags total, (like the one in my first post). Shooters who request or are assigned to my Rotation will be shooting over the same type of flag at each bench.

Now, Benchrest etiquette says that if you are asigned to a rotation, you do not place other flags in that lane. Some shooters have been known to ignore this, (the Rule Book does not address the issue), and insist on cluttering up the field, but they are few and far between.

Thank you Jackie, that was a very clear explanation and I understand it perfectly. I love it when I learn something new.

That propeller behind the flag in the pic would make a good daisy for the winds we get at the shoots in Hamilton, MT...

It's not covered by the rule book and should not be considered any type of etiquette. It's just wind flags....

Just wind flags????

Yeah, I know...but I'm still sayin'...

You're doing a lot of work and spending extra money to shoot over flags you're used to. Why not just shoot over other folks flags? That's a rhetorical question for consideration. I'd be more than happy to shoot over your flags.

Yeah, I know...but I'm still sayin'...

Why not just shoot over other folks flags? That's a rhetorical question for consideration. .

Wilbur, I had all intentions of doing just that until the Match Director asked me to sponsor a rotation.

I feel safe in saying that he asked me to do this with the full knowledge that that I would take the commitment and responsibility seriously.

As for the other matter, yes, I have no argument in that the rules do not address the placing of flags at National Events. Since we are an organization of rules, (NBRSA), shooters are free to as they please in this matter.

Last edited:
I think I just went on an old age rant of some sort. Happens more and more these days and I'm truly sorry.

I know exactly what you mean, been there, done that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naw I don't believe that for New York minute!!!!!!!!!!!! Now down to some important stuff, once again who buys this year? I swear that I'll write it down on the trailer wall, although I think it is my turn.EH

Dan Honert

Back