Chambering Rifle Barrels

Hillbilly

Chance Doane
What's your favorite way to chamber rifle barrels with the best results? Thru the Headstock Indicating both ends, Gordys way, between centers with a steady rest, or using a bushing on a long headstock lathe and only indicating the end your working on?

What's your favorite way to chamber rifle barrels with the best results? Thru the Headstock Indicating both ends, Gordys way, between centers with a steady rest, or using a bushing on a long headstock lathe and only indicating the end your working on?

As with many machine shop operations, the way you figure out a viable set-up depends on the machinery you have on hand.

As has been said before, there are many methods that achieve the same results. The main thing is that what ever method you use, stick to good sound machine shop practice, understand the concept of what you are trying to achieve, and use good common sense.

Right On !

As with many machine shop operations, the way you figure out a viable set-up depends on the machinery you have on hand.

As has been said before, there are many methods that achieve the same results. The main thing is that what ever method you use, stick to good sound machine shop practice, understand the concept of what you are trying to achieve, and use good common sense.

Well said Jackie. :D

Very well said Jackie. I've chambered over 4500 barrels in the past 7 years. All on a Haas TL-1. I had to make compromises in my setup because of the Haas and barrel lengths. Yes I use bushings inside the spindle hillbilly for shorter barrel. The way I do it works for me. Coming from the benchrest world it was difficult at first to get my head wrapped around what I had to do to get the work done. It worked out better than I though it would and I learned a few things along the way. But as Jackie said sound basic machining practices and common sense will see you through. Don't over think it. You're putting a hole in a hole. Pretty simple.
Parallel-Perpendicular-Concentric

Dave I have used bushings before on two different lathes that had long headstocks. One was a Clausing Colchester 15 and the other a Leblound Regal 13. It worked out very well. I have also chambered barrels in the steady rest between centers. My preferred method is to indicate both ends thru a short spindle and then do the work. This has served me very well. 4500 barrels that's awesome. No matter how we setup barrels to chamber the end results is what's most important. Jackie well said again. Thanks to all of you I have learned way more than I did in Gunsmith school and have took lots of guys ideas and methods and use what works for me in general. I have taken advise from Gunsmiths and machinists to work with different setups to thread and chamber barrels.

Back