Carbon Ring

Does anyone how or where to find the photos of the brass cartridge filed into a reamer to remove the carbon ring at the chamber end?

I had a couple of copies of them, but can't find them. Still looking.

Roy

This is one of my gripes with the AI system.... you really need two reamers, one to make a fireform chamber with a long throat and another shorter one for use. Otherwise the gapspace is huge.

my local GM parts dept informs me GM top engine cleaner has been discontinued
since the use of carburators is a thing of the past.
Apparently it was poured through the carburator to clean top engine. Kenny

My GM dealer told me they have top engine cleaner in an aerosol can now. I'm still considering that actual carb cleaner on a brush may be a better way to go.

This is one of my gripes with the AI system.... you really need two reamers, one to make a fireform chamber with a long throat and another shorter one for use. Otherwise the gapspace is huge.

Al,
I'm pretty dumb. What do you mean by this?

I am not Al, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once (and Al can correct me if I am wrong) but this is what I believe that he is referring to. When a case if blown out from its standard shape to AI, it gets shorter, and given that most all standard chambers are already generously longer than new brass, especially after it has been trimmed enough to clean up the shortest case. This additional shortening leaves quite a gap between the end of the case neck and the end of the neck portion of the AI chamber. The only way that you could get around this is to have a fire forming barrel that had a chamber that was long enough for standard brass, and a "shooting" barrel that had a shorter neck in its chamber. Personally, I don't think that this gap is important. What will mess you up is to let your cases get long and fire them in a dirty barrel that has a buildup in the neck part of the chamber that was put there firing shorter cases.

A few years back, in order to minimize the "problem" I helped a friend order a .243 AI remer, that would be destined to be used with Lapua brass, after measuring the brass, we ordered the reamer so that the chamber would just clear the end of untrimmed case necks in a chamber with absolute mimimum headspace. It seemed to work just fine. The rifle is very accurate, which probably has nothing to do with this feature.

Last edited:
OK, finally some success. After the last relay in yesterdays shoot I ran a couple of patches soaked with KG1 carbon remover down the barrels on each gun while they where good and hot. Then left one soaked in the throat for the ride home and over night. Today I cleaned as usual but also scrubbed with JB Bore Compound and seemed to get it out. Not sure if I got all of it , but No marks on bullets after chambering a round. First definite progress I've seen yet!

Did this again after this past Saturdays match and it is working well.

Al,
I'm pretty dumb. What do you mean by this?

What Boyd said.

And yes I consider it to be a problem.

Since this thread is specifically about "the carbon ring" it would seem that the problem of carbon buildup in the gapspace is real. Some will contend that this carbon gets "baked in" by heat and pressure. Draw a cutaway view of a chamber with a large gapspace VS on with minimal gapspace and it becomes apparent that a small amount of carbon in a small crevice could be better protected from this heat and pressure than a larger amount residing in a large, wide void..... I can pass a Bic lighter flame over my unprotected fingers but I can't let it linger......

And for me the small ring of soot is dead easy to stay on top of. I strive to keep my ES below 10fps let alone avoiding the massive pressure spikes often encountered (currently being discussed in another thread) with the overbore cartridges and FOR ME keeping the gapspace at bare minimum AND CLEAN helps in this regard.

al

I have used it. It worked about the same as most any other products. However i would dispute the claim that it "dissolves" carbon. I don't think anything dissolves carbon. Rather that the mechanical action of a brush will score it and allow the chemicals to get under it and lift it. JMO

Perhaps what ends up in our rifles, that we call hard carbon, is carbon, mixed with other things that can be softened by chemical action, making it possible for a bronze brush to remove the carbon. Just a theory.....

Last edited:
carbon can be softened with chemicals.....it will come out with just patches......
the right chemicals and time.....
for well over 40 plus years automotive parts have been soaked in chemicals to remove hard burnt on carbon...
mike in co

Boyd is exactly right.
I did some research not to long ago and found out that PURE carbon can not be dissolved by anything chemical or so the chemists and scientists say.
But what we have in our guns and cars can. Because as Boyd said it is a combination of things.....

man made carbon deposits from burning stuff can be removed with chemicals....
i agree if one could get a diamond stuck in the throat of a rifle , i doubt our normal chemicals would remove it.
carbon in the context of rifle fouling can be removed with chemicals....

mike in co
Boyd is exactly right.
I did some research not to long ago and found out that PURE carbon can not be dissolved by anything chemical or so the chemists and scientists say.
But what we have in our guns and cars can. Because as Boyd said it is a combination of things.....

GM TOP Engine Cleaner

Be aware the GM Top engine cleaner sold today is not the same GM Top engin cleaner used 5 years ago. The older GM Top engin cleaner came in a metal can and the part number started with 10 the new GM engine cleaner comes in a plastic bottle and the part number starts wit 25. The new stuff is supposed to be more enviromentally friendly. The old stuff was a unhealthy. May have contained carbon tetrachloride.

Nat Lambeth

Back