Can anybody testify about the best expected accuracy of a Browning BAR?

Van, if you get a BAR in 7 Mag with a BOSS on it......

they will shoot less than 1/2" with many loads. I have had two that would shoot with the bullets touching, day in and day out.

I sold the guns to a close friend, they would not think of getting rid of them.

My Safari shoots OK, but I always wondered if it would shoot better if it had a better crown on the end of the barrel. It looks like they cut a half round donut on the muzzle and not an eleven degree angle at the end of the bore. :confused:

gt40

I had six old original BAR II in 300 Win. Mag., and they ALL shot under 1" with 4831 hand loads & 165's.

BAR groupings

I am distraught! I recently purchased an 08 BAR Long Trac 3006. I also purchased a Zeiss scope. Horrible groups from a gun vise! I am so disappointed. I only shot Remington Core Loc 165 grains through it. Apparently ammunition brand and weights are very important. I need factory ammo. Does anyone have successful factory brands and loads you could recommend? I would be most appreciative!!

I am distraught! I recently purchased an 08 BAR Long Trac 3006. I also purchased a Zeiss scope. Horrible groups from a gun vise! I am so disappointed. I only shot Remington Core Loc 165 grains through it. Apparently ammunition brand and weights are very important. I need factory ammo. Does anyone have successful factory brands and loads you could recommend? I would be most appreciative!!

Lotta' great groups shot on the keyboard. :rolleyes:

al

I know this thread is old, but at lease no one can accuse me of not using the search tool.

My brother picked up a BAR in 7mm Mag. He bought some 162gr Interlock factory ammo and I made some 162gr Interlock and R22 loads to match. Groups were pretty large. 2+ inches.

He noticed that there is some pressure on the barrel from the stock that changes as the barrel heats up. The first couple of shots aren't bad. With the factory loads, he got 2 to touch at 100 yards, but the rest were all over the place.

I'm not sure bedding is possible with the 2 piece stock.

Browning BAR

My Uncle had won a BAR in 270 Win in the late 1990's at some kind of job earnings program, he asked me to mount a scope and sight it in for him. Well after four or five different factory loads and four or five different hand loads and two different scopes the only thing that we could get it to shoot into a "group" less then 4" was some factory 150 gr power points and that was a 3.5" three shot "group". Since he did a lot of traveling for the company he worked for I called browning and told them the problem I was having and I quote "We only guarantee 5" at 100 yards" Two weeks later he traded it in on a Rem 700 270.

Shipster

My Uncle had won a BAR in 270 Win in the late 1990's at some kind of job earnings program, he asked me to mount a scope and sight it in for him. Well after four or five different factory loads and four or five different hand loads and two different scopes the only thing that we could get it to shoot into a "group" less then 4" was some factory 150 gr power points and that was a 3.5" three shot "group". Since he did a lot of traveling for the company he worked for I called browning and told them the problem I was having and I quote "We only guarantee 5" at 100 yards" Two weeks later he traded it in on a Rem 700 270.

Shipster

Uhhhhh,

you must have got one of the "bad ones"!!!!! :D:D:D

LOL

al

Everything that I've herd he got one of the better ones! In the end! :D :rolleyes:

I had a BRAND NEW Short Trac 270 WSM that came in my shop a month or so ago. The customer said he couldn't hit a pie plate at 60 yards with it. I normally won't work on anything but bolt guns, But I felt sorry for him after the beating he took on the price of this new gun. After looking at the crown, It looked like someone used a dull 16 penny nail to cut the crown. I put a new 11 degree crown on the barrel. I test fired it and the best it would do was 2.5 inches at 100 yards. Alot better than before. So out of curiosity I called Browning just to see what factory acceptable accuracy was. Like Shipster, they told me 5 inches at 100 yards. When I told them that I had this one shooting 2.5 they said "THATS A GOOD ONE" . The customer was happy with the way it shot it so I was too.
Boe

As you probably know, a semi-auto rifle is rarely if ever purchased to be a tack driver. And is almost never converted into a target rifle.

Just shoot the rifle the way it came. Don't try to make the rifle something it was never intended to be.

I had a BRAND NEW Short Trac 270 WSM that came in my shop a month or so ago. The customer said he couldn't hit a pie plate at 60 yards with it. I normally won't work on anything but bolt guns, But I felt sorry for him after the beating he took on the price of this new gun. After looking at the crown, It looked like someone used a dull 16 penny nail to cut the crown. I put a new 11 degree crown on the barrel. I test fired it and the best it would do was 2.5 inches at 100 yards. Alot better than before. So out of curiosity I called Browning just to see what factory acceptable accuracy was. Like Shipster, they told me 5 inches at 100 yards. When I told them that I had this one shooting 2.5 they said "THATS A GOOD ONE" . The customer was happy with the way it shot it so I was too.
Boe

So here's where I am on this debate.........

5" is acceptable accuracy. For deer hunting I'll accept 5" groups AT THE LIMIT OF THE RIFLE'S RANGE. So, wherever the rifle hits the 5" barrier or runs out of energy, that's your maximum usable range.

SOOooooo, the Browning BAR could be considered a perfectly adequate and ethical 100yd rifle. It's right there with the 30-30 Winchester and quite a bit BETTER than the .410 shotgun. For only 10-15 times the money.

And money well spent IMO, for after all where else can you get a 'Buckmark' label?

Now with this in mind it seems the move should be toward more 100yd chamberings in this fine rifle. Things like the venerable 30 Carbine round. Resurrecting this old favorite would have historical significance if nothing else! Or how'sabout chambering for the 7.62X39? Beautiful 100yd cartridge. Mild recoil and you can buy cheap ammunition by the pickup load while supporting Eastern Bloc communist countries.... just a win-win there

Or 44magnum. Why leave this round to the shlubbish Win/Ruger crowd with their clumsy looking guns. Let's campaign for an inlaid version, maybe get the custom shop to run a special edition of the Zenith Prestige model in 44 or even 41 Mag for those who want something different.

The choices are endless once one has established the parameters of the rifle system. Could contract with Chief Green Feather or whatever his name was and make up a nice "Scout" version of the rifle.... bring the 2X and 4X scopes back into the forefront, we could all get into the "zen" zone, daydreaming of shooting dire wolves and mastodons and psyllopithicus's as we floated leisurely thru arid tundra and down into the musty lowcountry... all the while quaffing ale and nibbling crusts with cheese....

Just SOOO romantic this

"So where did you earn YOUR Buckmark??" Narnia or Mordor?

Truly a nice 100yd rifle

But why they'd chamber it in a thunderous mid-range cartridge like the WSM or even the 30-06????? Complete mystery to me! Even the .308 has an effective range 3-times the range of the RIFLE system.....

Browning, "The Best There Is"

out to 100yds

al

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

I would rather have a bolt action rifle that would shoot.

Concho Bill

Bill Wynne said:
I would rather have a bolt action rifle that would shoot.
That covers most all of them except maybe the surplus Carcano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bill and John.

Best regards,

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

If you mean by "they will shoot", that the rifles will they go off when the trigger is pulled-- that would also apply to the Carcano, of course.

However, I think you are deliberately misunderstanding the guy. On this forum, when we say "a rifle shoots," we mean it shoots straight and it can hit something.

I think you know that, but you just want to be a wise guy. Congratulations, you succeeded.

Pete,

John Kielly is one of the good guys on this forum. He also shoots 1,000 meters. Sure he likes to kid with us and we love it. He is in no way a wise guy and he is a friend of mine. People in Montana surely recognize dry wit.

Concho Bill

I was probing google, searching for info about the 7mm Rem Mag or the 284 Shehane for a proposed bolt action rifle project. Well, off on a tangeant the Browning BAR in 7mm WSM caliber and the 7mmMag cal got mentioned, and then a wild-hair of an idea immediately entered my mind :)

You were on the right track before that "hair" popped up and sent you down that tangential track.

My suggestion: Get back to the original 284 Shehane project you were on if you're looking for real accuracy. Here's why: http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/08/02/284-shehane-284-improved-for-long-range/. :)

Back